Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

144 Excellent

About roath

  • Rank
    Senior Member
  • Birthday 10/13/1966

Previous Fields

  • Location
    Hang Dong, Chiang Mai

Profile Information

  • Location
    Chiang Mai

Recent Profile Visitors

2,648 profile views
  1. That's not really correct as they have changed the requirements over the last few months. In theory, the requirements should not change over each extension (i.e. what was valid last year should be the same - I know about Embassy letters being taken out of the equation, but they shouldn't be using that to make other changes e.g. not permitting mixed income and savings). There have been several people positing that the underlying reason for several of these changes has been to put pressure on people to go through agents but that is obviously just conjecture. I did my extension at CM a few months ago using the old system and then they changed some of the requirements without posting either at immigration or on their website (i.e. you only find out by scouring the forums or when you turn up and get rejected)
  2. If they are legally separated, then she is only married in a technical sense. Quite a judgemental post
  3. Presuming that you are not an expert on matrimonial law in whatever country your wife was married, the easiest solution is to get a lawyer in the country in which she was married It is possible to get a divorce in Thailand even if married abroad, but usually that is done where there is consent of the parties involved. Whether you can register the marriage here unilaterally and then apply for a divorce from the Thai courts (which most countries would accept as a valid divorce) is something that a Thai lawyer familiar with family law should be able to advise you on. Bear in mind that some countries have archaic marriage laws so don't permit divorce without consent of both parties, or have rules such as 5 year separation without consent (i.e. you would have to wait another 2 years to divorce unilaterally) etc. Without knowing which country is involved or the type of marriage involved (different countries have different customs for wedding ceremonies, and not all are valid for these purposes), it is impossible to even do basic research on what is required. The poster suggesting you get married in Thailand regardless isn't completely wrong. You can get what is referred to a temple wedding where you basically get a public blessing as a couple which gives some legitimacy to the relationship and a public ceremony to which she can invite her (and your) family etc. but don't register the marriage at the Amphur as this could cause problems for one or both of you down the line as of course registering the 'legal' marriage would be technically a criminal offence as being bigamous and would be legally void if it ever came to it.
  4. Correct. Even if the property had been rented out after the ex wife was supposed to transfer, that would not necessarily invalidate the lease agreement If your wife won't agree to meet you at the land office with your son to do the transfer, then you really have to get a lawyer involved to get a court order adding your son to the Chanote possibly she may be in contempt of court for failing to comply with a court order which may mean that other sanctions apply (e.g. criminal charges) but a Thai lawyer should know the law/procedure about this
  • Create New...