Jump to content
BANGKOK

fbf

Members
  • Content Count

    154
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

23 Excellent

About fbf

  • Rank
    Senior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

1,560 profile views
  1. Thanks 7by7 that's a lot of clear and helpful advice. We still have to factor in that it's not going to be possible in our situation to travel to Thailand for a while owing to the Zika virus, but that's just a decision we'll have to weigh up. It might be that we have to switch things around and have the family visit here (post-Covid) - which is going to create its own "fun" from a visa point of view and practical as the in-laws are separated and both self-employed in a small village. As for Thailand reopening its borders, I'm of the understanding that I can still travel as the spouse of a Thai national provided that I follow the guidance here. That is, when flights resume. Emirates are offering flights from 30th August onwards, but it seems likely this is speculative and that they'll just cancel and refund/rebook if they can't start flying by then. Again, really helpful advice. Doesn't make it less tough, but does make it more clear.
  2. In our circumstances, we would need to wait until at least 2022 and it could easily end up being 2023. I wouldn't even be sharing sensitive health information under my real name, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that if a couple is having fertility treatment, and if the treatment cannot start until six months after traveling to a country listed as having a risk of Zika virus then, it's going to take a while to go through the treatment, whether successful or not. Sure, not traveling is an option, it's not life or death. But I'm willing to trade money and effort/hassle in exchange for the possibility of a trip to Thailand so that my wife doesn't end up going such a long time without seeing her family. If your situation is different then hopefully the trade-offs involved for you are less severe. Although I posted all the above for context, I'm more interested in practical information that will help me make more informed choices.
  3. Thanks, but the only thing that matters is the guidance that NHS trusts and private fertility clinics follow. On the subject of visa applications, I am still not sure if it's possible to submit a non-priority ILR application before the applicant has been in the UK for less than five years. Possible, not possible, possible provided the biometrics appointment is after the five-year mark?
  4. My wife's FLR expires in mid December and she's eligible for ILR in mid September. If we travel to Thailand together in November, will she have any issues in re-entering the UK with her BRP? Especially if there are delays and she ends up arriving a week before her FLR expires. Some background: We were already overdue a trip to Thailand when the COVID-19 pandemic hit, and pushed back our May 2020 trip to this Christmas. I was relying on the Super Priority service and paying the extra £800 to ensure that her September application was processed well in time for December. Unfortunately, Super Priority has been withdrawn and the Coronavirus Immigration Helpline just gave me a stock response saying "These services will continue to be paused for now." They did not answer my second question, which is whether my wife would be able to switch an existing application to Super Priority if it were already in progress. I'm fairly sure we cannot travel outside the CTA after the application has been submitted on the slow track, which could possibly even go beyond the six months (hard to be sure). This is based on searching online and finding immigration lawyers talking about section 34K of the immigration rules. Assuming my wife gets her passport and BRP back (I think that's how it works now but we haven't tried it), she'd still be deemed to have cancelled her application if she leaves the CTA. So we considered our options: 1. Get the application in ASAP on the slow track, hope (but don't assume) it'll be done in time for Songkran. For various personal reasons we really don't want to leave it this late. 2. Move our booking forward to early November, aiming to return to the UK around 3 weeks before her FLR expires, allowing for a bit of a delay and submitting the ILR application. 3. Leave things as is, hope Super Priority returns by mid November and that we can keep our current Christmas trip in place; but if not, we've delayed starting the "six month" application by a further couple of months. I've written to my MP asking that 34K be suspended for as long as Super Priority is suspended. I have no expectations this will help, but wanted to make my opinion known anyway. All of the above assumes that we're willing to go through the cost and hassle of 2 week's quarantine in Thailand, leaving a week or two for seeing family (not exactly the holiday of a lifetime then!) and that we can quarantine when we get home (no problem for me, manageable for my wife). If we go with option 1, can we do the application 28 days before my wife becomes eligible for ILR? (The form asks how long you've been in the UK, so she'd have to answer 4 years and 11 months). If we go with option 2, how much hassle are we likely to get at the border when returning to the UK? TIA!
×
×
  • Create New...