Jump to content


Advanced Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

458 Excellent

About Misty

  • Rank
    Senior Member

Previous Fields

  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

5,425 profile views
  1. An update on the medical certificate. We ended up going to the Royal Thai Police General Hospital. Overall, it was a fairly straight forward process and staff were good. Total time was 3 hours, - this included the staff's lunch break. Had to pick up completed certificates the following day, but this can be avoided if you go early. Tests that were run included a blood test, chest X-ray, and urine test for drug use. Last two tests were surprises - as far as I can remember, they aren't part of any work permit medical I've done in decades here. Note: if you go here, bring your work permit. Cost of the medical certificate would have been substantially lower had we brought ours (a fact not mentioned as needed when we called for information).
  2. You seem to know a lot about their businesses, so I'll defer to your expertise.
  3. I'd agree with that. TDRI's "regulatory guillotine," which was supposed to cut or simplify existing regulations starting with visa & work permit rules, was sorely needed. Yet it seems to have died the predictable death already. Meanwhile Thailand seems to be far behind other SE Asian countries in this area. Meanwhile are wealthy Thais paying their share of the tax burden? However, I'd wonder if somtam cart sellers earn more per year than the minimum threshhold to have to pay tax. They'd need to earn something like Bt150k+Bt60k+Bt15k = Bt225k per year or Bt18,750 per month. That would be one successful somtam cart!
  4. I've observed the tax rules on earned (salary) income versus investment and perhaps pension income work differently. The tax jurisdiction the salary income is earned in (in this case Thailand) generally seems to have first dibs (or some technical term) on taxing it. I'm not a tax professional, so perhaps one can jump in to clarify this point.
  5. If they live in Thailand, using its tax funded services, it would make sense to first pay tax in Thailand, and then under double-taxation agreement use the Thai tax paid as a foreign tax credit against any tax they may owe elsewhere
  6. A great first step would be to start with revising existing rules and regulations surrounding work permits and business visas/ business visa extensions.
  • Create New...