Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by jakow

  1. 4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

    I can not speak about Thailand in particular...but in my experience a bank will not loan money to build a home on land that has a lien...a loan...a mortgage...


    Think about it...the bank would be investing in a building that could be required to be move or torn down if there is a default on the land loan...

    Yeah that makes sense, however we were not asking about a loan to build a house. We were only asking about a loan to purchase the land. They told us after purchasing the land we could not build anything on it.

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

  2. 1 hour ago, David B in Thailand said:

    What is the name of the employee of Bangkok Bank who told your wife that? What branch. I can help, if you PM me or post what person and at what branch of Bangkok Bank said this. Loans are based on the borrower having provable income to pay back the loan, etc.. I am friends with a higher ranking person who just retired from Bangkok Bank. 

    Hey thanks for offering to help. We were actually just calling the customer service numbers and asking to be transferred to someone to ask questions about the loan. We didn't collect any names as we were just doing information gathering. We're still probably a year or two out from actually doing something, but my ideal situation would be we purchase the land first, recoup some funds, then build the house. Being told we wouldn't be able to build on the land we purchase was surprising and will definitely change our plans. I think my wife called three banks and they told her the same. Still, it doesn't sound right to me. But I guess that's par for the course here in Thailand.

    • Like 1

  3. 3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

    Which office?

    That is not correct. The 60 day extension can applied for with any type of entry.

    No visa type is mentioned on this page on the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_24


    ubonjoe, the immigration office maintained that I cannot extend a non-B visa for 60 days based on marriage. Afterwards we called the Bangkok immigration office (Chaengwattana) and spoke to a lady. She said the same thing. She said we can extend a non-O visa for 60 days based on marriage or a child, but non-B cannot. I’m not sure if there’s some confusion and they think we’re asking for something different?

  4. 7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

    Which office?

    That is not correct. The 60 day extension can applied for with any type of entry.

    No visa type is mentioned on this page on the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_24


    Thanks ubonjoe. That link is really helpful. At least I have something to show them. This is Trat immigration (Khlong Yai). Trat immigration is notorious for not knowing what the hell they’re talking about. 

  5. 2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

    They should give you a 60 day extension to visit your wife regardless of the category of Non Immigrant visa you have.

    Awesome, thanks! And just to confirm, this 60 days extension isn't subject to the 40,000/mth or 400,000/bank baht financial requirements like the marriage visa, right? It's gonna take some time to sort the financial stuff out.

  6. I posted before about extending a non-O visa based on marriage (without a work permit) but I just realized I was wrong. My visa is a non-B visa. I'm going to immigration tomorrow so this is pretty urgent. Is it possible to extend this non-B visa based on marriage, or any other way to extend it? I don't have a work permit, just a non-B visa that's expiring tomorrow and a wife and baby at home. Anything I can do aside from doing a border run? Thanks!

  7. On 2/15/2019 at 9:59 PM, elviajero said:

    The requirements may vary between offices, but in general you’ll need;


    • Original marriage certificate plus signed copy.
    • Signed copies of wife's ID and Tabien Baan.
    • Signed copies of your passport pages: ID page, visa, entry stamp, departure card.
    • 1 x photo 6 x 4.
    • Maybe they will want form TM30. This is the form used by the Owner/House-master to report that you are staying with them.

    Your wife will need to go with you when you apply.


    Thanks! Another person at this company who is in the same situation isn’t married, but has a child from a Thai mother. Do you know what is required for him to get the extension? I’m trying to finding it online but can’t get a concise list. Thank you

  8. 16 minutes ago, Pib said:

    And I've always initiated the transfer on a Monday or Tuesday.  Try to avoid non-business days/weekends since money flows seem to come to a standstill during those times...both on Transferwise's end, any middleman involved, and the receiving bank.

    This is what I've been doing. I found that if the transfer is initiated on the weekend, it will arrive later than if I had started the transfer on Monday. Although lately TransferWise has been much faster. The last two transfers arrived within 2 days.

  9. 8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

    She needs 6 months worth of payslips, 25k/month will get her a loan of 1.5 million baht.

    Your income is irrelevant as you can't own land in Thailand.

    Oh wow. That's disappointing to hear. If my income is irrelevant that definitely limits us. When she was talking to Kasikorn Bank she mentioned me and they said I just need to have had my work permit for at least 1 year. We'll need to call them again and clarify.

  10. My wife and I are interested in a piece of land and we're wondering what terms need to be met in order to qualify for a loan. I've been employed (with a work permit) for only about 4 months, but also have income from overseas. I don't have any credit in my home country. My wife, who is Thai, has been employed at her current company for only about 8 months, but she also has had somewhat steady online income for a few years. The land title would be in her name. Our combined incomes are more than enough to make payments and we'd try to put down a significant down payment. She was researching Kasikorn Bank and read that for me to help with qualification, I would need to have my work permit for at least 1 year. Will my overseas income even be considered when going through the application process? What about her online income? Are other banks more accommodating to foreigners? We'd really appreciate any advice as this is our first go at land ownership.

  11. Some money was sent to me via TransferWise from America last Thursday (in America). Monday was a USA federal holiday so obviously that delayed it a bit. I finally received the TransferWise notification email Tuesday morning and it said it should be in my bank on the 6th (yesterday). It never came, so this morning my girlfriend called Kasikorn Bank. They looked at the account and said they don't see any money sent. Last time I received money it came soon after the TransferWise email was received. 


    Does it sound like there's a problem with this transfer? Or is this normal? If it's normal, when can I except the money to reach KBank?

  • Create New...