We have an 8 year old shih tzu bitch ( called - Star ) that has a skin problem for the around 8 Months
We have taken star to several local vet’s to try and resolve her on going skin issue , our current female vet has carried out a range tests on Star including several blood tests and skin biopsy's and has determined that the cause of Stars on going skin problem ‘’ may ‘’ be due to one of the following.
1. An out side allergenic ( some thing that Star comes into contact while roaming outside the house walled garden area )
2. An in side allergenic ( some thing in side our house that is causing Stars skin problem )
3. A food allergy reaction ( some thing in the type of food we are feeding Star )
4. A reaction to the shampoo used on Star .
5. A problem relating to Dog Ticks & Fleas
To try and narrow down the cause of Stars skin problem we have done over many months duration the following .
1. An out side allergenic - we have restricted Stars time out of the house to a new area we prepared which is totally clean of any thing that Star may come into contact with which could cause a skin problem ( no plants or other foliage just bare earth ).
2. An in side allergenic – We stopped altogether using any chemicals in the house like floor cleaners or furniture polish , mosquito sprays , air fresheners etc.
3. A food allergy reaction – As recommended by the current vet Stars food was totally change to a brand of hypoallergenic dog food.
4. A reaction to the shampoo used on Star – As recommended by the current vet we changed to a different brand of shampoo ( Dermcare Malaseb Medicated Shampoo ).
5. A problem relating to Dog Ticks , Fleas – As recommended by the current vet Star was put on a course of – Frontline and is clear of any skin parasite issues .
We constantly wash Stars bedding and soft toys
After months of trying the above ideas Stars skin problem is still the same and has not improved at all . The skin issue is generally on a few areas and not over Stars whole body
I’m wondering if I have missed any out thing in out attempt to cure Stars skin problem . Our vet only wants to prescribe more drugs to stop Star from scratching her self. If we cannot find a solution then our last hope seems to be to try and find a veterinary dermatologist , as far as I can see there are no veterinary dermatologist in our area ( Korat ) so it may involve a long trip to Bangkok .
Any thoughts - suggestions or advice welcome