Jump to content


Advanced Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

423 Excellent

About taxout

  • Rank
    Super Member

Recent Profile Visitors

5,310 profile views
  1. As we've said before, the easiest way to get an extension online is to make an online payment of estimated tax for 2019; just a nominal payment of a few dollars will do. You must make sure, though, that you've clicked the right options so it's considered a payment with Form 4868, Request for Automatic Extension, 2019. See "Get an extension when you make a payment." https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/extension-of-time-to-file-your-tax-return
  2. I don't have any problem extracting the .apk with a program like APKExtractor, then moving it over a USB connection to my PC. Quite simple. My understanding has been that Google Playstore only works with devices that are somehow certified by Google. Is there a way of fooling Playstore with a PC Android box so that it thinks you're running a Google-certified device?
  3. I'll add that the emulators usually run older versions of Android, so they may not run new versions of apps that run only on later Android versions.
  4. You can Google "Android emulators." These are supposed to emulate an Android box on your PC, though I've never used one. You can't download Android apps from Playstore direct to your PC, though. You need to download them to an Android device with a Google account. Then you extract the .apk from the installed app on your Android device to your PC and run it inside the Android box. There are apps on Playstore to extract the .apk.
  5. You also need to look at the definition of "resident." From the US-Thai Tax Treaty: "For the purposes of this Convention, the term 'resident of a Contracting State' means any person who, under the laws of the State, is liable to tax therein by reason of his domicile, residence, citizenship, place of management, place of incorporation, or any other criterion of a similar nature. . . The term, however, does not include any person who is liable to tax in the State in respect only of income from sources in the State." Then, to the extent you are taxed only on remitted dividends, you need to look further: "Where under any provision of this Convention income arising in one of the Contracting States is relieved in whole or in part from tax in that Contracting State and, under the law in force in the other Contracting State, a person in respect of the said income, is subject to tax by reference to the amount of the income which is remitted to or received in the other Contracting State and not by reference to the full amount of the income, then the relief to be allowed under this Convention in the first-mentioned Contracting State shall apply only to so much of the income as is remitted to or received in the other Contracting State during the calendar year such income accrues or the next succeeding year." Basically, to get the reduced rate of US withholding, you have to remit the dividends to Thailand within two years. (Assuming Thailand only taxes remitted foreign dividends: I'm not familiar with the Thai tax rules.)
  6. Under the US-Thai Tax treaty, the withholding tax on dividends paid to a "resident" of Thailand is 15 percent, not the usual 30 percent. For purposes of the Treaty, you're a "resident" of Thailand if you're subject to tax in Thailand by reason of domicile, residence, etc, with one big exception: even if you are so subject to tax in Thailand, you are not considered a "resident" if you're liable to tax in Thailand only in respect of income from Thailand. In short, unless Thailand taxes you on your worldwide income, you are not entitled to the reduced rate of withholding under the treaty. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/international-businesses/thailand-tax-treaty-documents
  • Create New...