Zoe Complex.

EL159

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

How very Thai of you....got to point these things out!  Worth a slight laugh.

I didnt realise Zoe stretched that far back...but when you look at the big carpark they have I suppose it does

It goes all the way back to the road that adjoins the UN bar

DSCF0913.JPG

23 hours ago, sanemax said:

I did ask around there today and that whole row of roadside shops in included, although the UN Irish bar is not, as its across the road

I did ask in the bars yesterday, and they said that the whole area had been sold, but I went and asked in the actual shops along the road front today , which includes the CM saloon and  they said that the row of shops are not part of the plot of land, which had been sold .

The young Thai guy who told me seemed quite certain about this

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

According to google maps it's inside the moat and is a bagpacker hangout. If that is the place, given that bagpackers are probably the most common species of tourist there, knocking it down would be more proof, if any needed, that greed is destroying LOS. The sanuk is vanishing before our eyes.

The sanuk was taken out of CM long ago and only left with the crap. Now it seems they`re even taking the crap away.

Just be certain it won't be good for low income tourists. Geed wins again.
Hilton hotels were allowed to destroy Hua Hin with a monstrocity in the old city area. Nothing is safe now.

The Hilton was called the Melia before, well it was in 1997, this was before the Hilton group bought it in the early 2000's?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In the UK & USA mid range hotels return more value than luxury per sq meter. And cheaper to develop than marble luxury etc
And more likely to be full. Imagine plush B2 @ 700- 900 baht a night.
And half decent food places to capture that market...

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

100 million baht is only 4 x median average new home central to Auckland. 

Honestly the world is changing faster than we know, or can plan for.

Shame I don't own four houses to liquidate ( many do) mighht be a prudent investment or lifestyle choice.

Auckland is not NZ and no need for me to say what the rest of NZ thinks of the place, but it's not complimentary. :sorry:

However, the difference is that the vast majority of Thais are far more poor than the poorest NZer, and the greedy class are busily building a financial bubble in Thailand which, IMO, can only lead to tears for a lot of people. IMO, on track for a repeat of the last financial crisis, which blackened the eyes of more than a few greedies in LOS.

9 hours ago, roo860 said:

The Hilton was called the Melia before, well it was in 1997, this was before the Hilton group bought it in the early 2000's?

Fair enough, but I cursed Hilton Hotel group when I saw it. I now curse everyone involved in building it in the first place, whatever it was called.

The Railway Hotel is a prime example of a good hotel. Just hope they don't knock it down to build a new multi storey on the site.

Fair enough, but I cursed Hilton Hotel group when I saw it. I now curse everyone involved in building it in the first place, whatever it was called.
The Railway Hotel is a prime example of a good hotel. Just hope they don't knock it down to build a new multi storey on the site.

Land owned by the Royal Thai Railways, apparently.

Have you ever wondered at the strange shops and developments? I understand from Thai friends that money is 'sunk' and left for many years and that many of these businesses don't have to make a profit just 'be there'. Bit like laundry nod, nod, wink, wink 

On 6/9/2017 at 0:00 PM, sanemax said:

Ok. Just to clear up the confusion .

The first photo is of the road between Zoe and UNIrish and the second photo is  of the road between CM saloon and Sheryles

DSCF0902.JPG

DSCF0908.JPG

This Zoe complex is a load of rubbish. Zoe in yeallow does not go that far back. The area is called  Gad Bon Yoo or Bon Yoo Market. Zoe's in yellow only rent a few units there. 

• 8 months later...
On 9/10/2017 at 5:52 PM, MickeyMaow said:

This Zoe complex is a load of rubbish. Zoe in yeallow does not go that far back. The area is called  Gad Bon Yoo or Bon Yoo Market. Zoe's in yellow only rent a few units there. 

I was referring to the land which is being sold in which Zoe in Yellow is situated

3 hours ago, clokwise said:

So does anyone have any update on the move?

Went past there tonight and everything is open as usual .

One bar over the back has been expanded to double its size from a few months ago and another bar seemed to be getting refurbished .

Logically , that would suggest that the Zoe  area will not be getting developed anytime soon , but it wouldnt surprise me if they refurbished a bar and then knocked it down the following day

It appears that whatever deal was to go through fell over.  The landlady informed all tenants of the Zoe in Yellow area/complex that there will no longer be a move/shift.

However all those that wish to remain must now pay nearly double the rent.  How typical!

I've been trying to get the missus to give up her bar but now there is probably no show of trying to on sell her lease agreement.

I bit like many places here...if the owner isn't getting enough profit from their business just increase the cost of everything they sell.  So if the customer won't pay 100 baht for a beer they might pay 150 baht.

Thai logic evades me as much as it evades most Westerners 

1 minute ago, cyberfarang said:

Gave up visiting bars in Chiang Mai, long ago.

Full of backpackers and Chinese tourists, no atmosphere and expensive. If the whole lot closed down overnight I sure wouldn`t miss them. 

Its probably not the same there now, considering that you no longer go there .

You sound like you were the life and soul of the party , a real partyman, that got everyone up on the dancefloor , partying the night way

On 6/2/2018 at 11:09 AM, CMKiwi said:

It appears that whatever deal was to go through fell over.  The landlady informed all tenants of the Zoe in Yellow area/complex that there will no longer be a move/shift.

However all those that wish to remain must now pay nearly double the rent.  How typical!

I've been trying to get the missus to give up her bar but now there is probably no show of trying to on sell her lease agreement.

I bit like many places here...if the owner isn't getting enough profit from their business just increase the cost of everything they sell.  So if the customer won't pay 100 baht for a beer they might pay 150 baht.

Thai logic evades me as much as it evades most Westerners 

Ahhh Thai Logic, should start a whole thread on quotes, like how AC will kill you but walk into any chilly mall on a hot day and see who's there!   Dangit as I was ready for Zoe to move as its a nuisance. I used to Dj at the Original Zoe which was a tiny shop with Yanni, in a very chill vibe, as i found my fav Grand mariner there for 80 bt so that tells you it was long ago! I recall folks always coming into the chill place and going in the back to "smoke up". He had a Gf from the states and it was as said a chill mellow place. I recall cops coming in for the envelope or we had to shut down at 1am. Yanni then told me he had some business partners coming in, which seemed to bully him and push him out, which is now the current ZOE's as he told me how they busted a bottle on his head, and oddly enough I had a large chang popped upside my own head by a angry thai dude there one night, as I was unaware i was flirting with his GF....Yanni was upset over losing the bar and I think returned to Greece. I recall the tuk tuks waiting outside waiting to sucker the drunks and the labyboys there too. I would visit the nice thai guy that had his little shop there and buy a pint of sangsom from him and wander the lot trying to help stupid tourists out and cue them to the hustle but got tired of that. Im more of a cheap charlie and usually hit up Gecko as they have my good prices albeit for the mozzies and the outdated set up as I always wanted to go in there and remodel the whole look and vibe there, but a thai turned me onto that place and it is cheap for a pre game warm up before I go wandering with my Sangsom! ?

On 9/4/2017 at 1:07 PM, sanemax said:

I wonder how they will develop that area

It would be great for CM if they turned that area into a public park , with greenery , trees and a pond and benches where you could sit under a tree and drinking 7/11 Chang all day long

Ha ha ha ha....

as if.

On 6/4/2018 at 12:04 PM, elgenon said:

Zoe is not my thing, nor am I theirs. But I enjoy going to the early set at Roots, Rock, Reggae before the farang kiddies come in. Would be sad to see that disappear.

That bar has been extended , its now double the size .

Why dont you like the young felangs in there .

They tend to get up and dance and enjoy themselves , rather than sitting at the back and watching everyone else enjoying themselves 

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That bar has been extended , its now double the size .

Why dont you like the young felangs in there .

They tend to get up and dance and enjoy themselves , rather than sitting at the back and watching everyone else enjoying themselves 

Yes, it's a great place until you sit at the wrong table with a beer, then the bouncers beat you to death.

and from TripAdvisor

x.gifReviewed 27 July 2015

Me and 2 friends were at Zoeys 2 weeks ago. I assumed that the bar over the road was connected to the main bar, however I was wrong. The main bouncer clicked his fingers and within seconds I got dragged down an alley by 5-6 bouncers and beaten repeatedly, getting knocked unconscious 4-5 times. I had bottles of Chang smashed over my head and even a gun pointed at my head.

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, it's a great place until you sit at the wrong table with a beer, then the bouncers beat you to death.

Most of those issues occurred because people were sitting at Zoe tables and buying their drink from the adjacent mom& pop shop for half price and security asked them to leave and when they refused , they were thrown out .

As long as you buy your drinks from the bar table that you are sitting at , they will be no problems .

Saying that , the bar in question RR&R quite often allowed people inside with open beers , although they expected you to buy your next drink from them

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

As long as you buy your drinks from the bar table that you are sitting at , they will be no problems .

Chiang Mai is full of bars that never have any problems, no need to risk your life at Zoe (or Spicy and Living Room).

Those three bars are where all the bar girls go after hours, you know there will be drugs, prostitutes and violent bouncers .... what could possibly go wrong?

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Chiang Mai is full of bars, no need to risk your life at Zoe (or Spicy).

But if you want to get your dancing shoes on and make shapes on the dancefloor , beer bars are not the place for that

When in Rome....  

Checking out the rules first is always a good idea.  Buying a beer from 7 11 and then waltzing into any establishment and expecting a warm welcome is a bit stupid.

I amazes me when I see people act like this. They would never do that in their home country so why do they think they can do that here?

The same applies to those shirtless yobs who walk down the street with a large Chang in one hand. In fact I have seen a few 'women' doing this too (Alas they were not topless).

Sometimes Zoe attracts the wrong crowd but generally it's fine.  Years ago it was a very shady/dangerous place if you didn't behave.  It has mellowed somewhat, but that's not to say that staff will put up with drunk rude idiots.

Respect goes a long way and it's easy to have a good time there if you show some.

Archived