16 Thai airlines suspend their operations after failing safety assessments

webfact

16 Thai airlines suspend their operations after failing safety assessments

By THE NATION

8bc7e2ca13f87144e001aaa023633d1d.jpg

File photo: Suvarnabhumi Airport

BANGKOK: -- SIXTEEN airlines registered in Thailand have failed safety and related regulatory assessments conducted by the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT), requiring them to suspend operations until they get new Air Operator’s Certificates (AOCs), as authorities enforce stricter rules in accordance with requirements of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).

The ICAO is due to send delegates to inspect Thailand’s new aviation safety regulatory system later this month or in early October, after which the agency is expected to consider lifting its “red flag”, which was imposed in 2015 due to safety concerns.

According to a government committee chaired by Deputy Premier Prawit Wongsuwan, Thai authorities had already issued AOCs to nine airlines under the new regulatory system, while another 11 airlines were in the process of applying for AOCs.

New challenges

Due to the Thai aviation sector’s rapid growth rate over the past decades, there have been concerns about safety and other issues facing a large number of airlines registered in Thailand.

In addition, the regulatory system needs to be overhauled to cope with new challenges resulting in the restructuring of multiple agencies, including the CAAT.

As a result of failing to pass the CAAT’s assessments, all 16 airlines were ordered to suspend their service as of last Friday, in line with the ICAO’s regulations.

According to Colonel Sirichan Nga-thong, a spokesperson for Prawit, the ICAO had already inspected the safety and other related aspects at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang international airports as well as those of the CAAT in July. The results are understood to be satisfactory with no significant safety or related concerns.

After ICAO delegates review the country’s overall aviation safety and regulatory system, the agency is expected to report its assessment within the next 60 days, especially regarding the status of the red flag affecting Thailand.

Thailand has faced a shortage of qualified personnel and training officials regarding aviation and safety issues following years of a boom in the aviation and tourism sectors.

The number of foreign tourists has increased rapidly over past decades to about 30 million this year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30325783

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-05

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, davehowden said:

And the 16 airlines are ???

I thought the same, but I guess you can find out easy enough as they are the ones who wont be able to sell you a ticket right now. I have to say I find this amusing in that only a few short weeks ago, we were told Thailand was to become the hub in Asia for aircraft maintenance, yet now it seems their abilities on this front are as poor as most comments on the subject suggested.

Every type of transportation in Thailand would be suspended if there was an international body involved, it costs money to implement safety standards including training - infrastructure and enforcement, unfortunately the money goes elsewhere - it's all about priorities and ability.....money number one   

A little confused here. The above article stated that...

As a result of failing to pass the CAAT’s assessments, all 16 airlines were ordered to suspend their service as of last Friday,..

If this really happened, then surely in the last four days, Thailand would have seen a social media storm about cancelled flights.

golf.JPG

I thought the same, but I guess you can find out easy enough as they are the ones who wont be able to sell you a ticket right now. I have to say I find this amusing in that only a few short weeks ago, we were told Thailand was to become the hub in Asia for aircraft maintenance, yet now it seems their abilities on this front are as poor as most comments on the subject suggested.

More correctly, they won't be able to fly you.
I wonder if they will shutdown their booking systems in line with the shutdown of flights?

So let me understand something here, all those airlines we flying

and or offering air transportation already while not

fit or fully qualified to be engaged in such services? it's with the grace of god

that no accidents happened to those operations....

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

LOL. When pigs fly.

I understand that they're still mulling the draft-proposal, ahead of setting-up a committee to develop recommendations, for establishing an inspection-body for flying-pigs !  Oink Oink !  :biggrin:

Yes, don't panic. The affected airlines are absolutely NONE of the ones that the general flying public would expect to fly on. Those itching to have a free pop at Nok and the likes can go find another, easier target.

Umm no! Nok should be in the group but I doubt they've been included

24 minutes ago, ezzra said:

fit or fully qualified to be engaged in such services? it's with the grace of god

Airline safety is of particular importance because when an accident or failure happens there is zero chance of survival, there are so many people and sectors involved in the safety of air travel it really is a massive task to ensure they are "all" meeting international standards, you also have to consider that aircraft flying into and out of Thailand become subject to international influence because they are carrying international passengers and entering - leaving - flying over other countries airspace and using the facilities of other countries - they must comply

It has to be more than "by the grace of god" that they operate safely, the standards (thank god) are not an option for Thailand - they are a rigorously controlled and enforced set of standards, it is usually ?money number one" for Thailand but in this case it is "safety and standards number one" - money doesn't enter into it. 

45 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Easy there Tonto... there's absolutely NONE of the usual Thai bashers flying with ANY of these 16 suspended airlines unless they do private charters or shift cargo.

30 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, don't panic. The affected airlines are absolutely NONE of the ones that the general flying public would expect to fly on. Those itching to have a free pop at Nok and the likes can go find another, easier target.

Since you have information that other posters don't have, please tell us which airlines are / are not affected.

Thank you.

Archived