16 Thai airlines suspend their operations after failing safety assessments

webfact

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Since you have information that other posters don't have, please tell us which airlines are / are not affected.

Thank you.

As of Wednesday last week I have flown both Bangkok Airlines and Nok Air so I guess they aren't on the list. Saw plenty of Thai taking off and landing at Swampy too.

Must admit it was a little alarming landing at Satuek in the middle of a stormy downpour....came in sideways.

4 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Almost all of those on this list still show license expiration dates out into the future.

But, I'm assuming, only the first 8 or 9 on the list with license expiration dates out to 2022 are the newly relicensed ones (the major commercial carriers). And the rest are in the waiting to be relicensed category, including Orient Thai, MJet, Asia Atlantic, Thai Smile, and Thai Vietjet, among others.

A lot of those entities on the list aren't even shown as flying jets.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

On the other hand:

- A recent report indicating that checking airport staff when they go airside is less than satisfactory at both airports.

- All the airlines are very lax in terms of checking that ticket and ID given matches and even more lax to check whether the passenger is the person in the photo. One particular budget airline basically check nothing. 

That hasn't been my experience......they check a number of times.....at least two times at Swampy for international flights. Once before they let you go upstairs to immigration control and the airline staff check again. For domestic at DM they check before security scanning and the airline staff check again.

1 hour ago, Sir Swagman said:

Having experience with an airline here I can honestly say that if the 'inspection' was done with any diligence in practical operations, instead of making sure the paperwork was in order (which is the usual process), I doubt any airlines would pass a check. Standards are lowered to the point where a 'pass' can be achieved (at least most of the time) and maintenance leaves much to be desired. 

1 hour ago, bogozy said:

Sorriful, the current Thai education system is not suitable to output a large number of technicians, engineers and qualified fitters, to meet with the demand of air industry.  A big number of students are finishing the elementary school, without the skill to read and write properly.  

I also doubt there is a shortage of staff to do the jobs. This would imply that the tasks required are not being completed and if that were the case no permission to fly in the first case. Rather it is the quality of the work. Box ticking and systematic bodging with weak commitment to quality control. However, the problem, as far as we can ascertain, does not extend to the bigger airlines but at the same time certainly does little to raise confidence about a possible/potential 'creeping' problem even if not systemic.

6 hours ago, davehowden said:

And the 16 airlines are ???

Due to the fantastic defamation laws, and suppression of investigative journalism in this country, the list in a sealed envelope may be found under the carpet in some big brass' office with overweight privates to stand guard on it.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I thought the same, but I guess you can find out easy enough as they are the ones who wont be able to sell you a ticket right now. I have to say I find this amusing in that only a few short weeks ago, we were told Thailand was to become the hub in Asia for aircraft maintenance, yet now it seems their abilities on this front are as poor as most comments on the subject suggested.

They can sell you tickets, as this will all be sorted out by the time you want to fly this afternoon. If not you can apply for a refund in the normal way.

A few of the airlines subject to the international flight ban are mentioned here.

2017-08-17

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has agreed to allow airlines required to halt international flights during the International Civil Aviation Organisation's (ICAO) red-flag re-evaluation next month to operate an additional domestic flight per day per route until January.

CAAT director Chula Sukmanop yesterday said the measure was to help airlines that will need to temporarily stop operating international flights from Sept 1 because they have yet to be reissued Air Operator Certificates (Re-AOCs).

Those airlines have to pass an ICAO safety standard inspection due to take place around the third week of next month.

CAAT news release 17-8-2017

6 hours ago, Adeeos said:

I remember awhile back, didn't the CEO? of Swampy blame several mantainance issues on, "bad spirits",,, and claimed some new spirit houses needed to be build at the airport to appease them... 

My next domestic flight out of Swampy is on Friday 13th.....OMG.........:w00t:! I wish the Thais were superstitious about Friday 13th. If they were it might have cost half the price........:smile:.

MHHHh what I learned again from this failure is: any of official announcments make in Thailand are a lie!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that a newspaper having this article not name all the airlines involved is another failure of informations given to the readers.

So also meaning that they not want to name the airlines you should be aware to fly for not loose face: in Thailand it's a daily loose face as nothing of any kind of work is properly done!

So forget in this country to losse face as all faces are lost already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here we go again...They announced just a few months ago that they would become the "hub" for aviation maintenance...after that they declared themselves the "hub" for medical tourism...It will never happen.  But indeed, in some other domains they really became the "hub"...(...most killings on the road...teenage pregnancies...etc.) :coffee1:

1 hour ago, mickeylo said:

man this is <deleted> up Iam in thailand  right now been here  from 8/30/17 leaving 0n sept 19 on thai airlines I wonder if  they will put me on another airline? what should I do

give them a bell, mind you I'd say their lines are jammed at the moment

52 minutes ago, manhood said:

MHHHh what I learned again from this failure is: any of official announcments make in Thailand are a lie!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that a newspaper having this article not name all the airlines involved is another failure of informations given to the readers.

So also meaning that they not want to name the airlines you should be aware to fly for not loose face: in Thailand it's a daily loose face as nothing of any kind of work is properly done!

So forget in this country to losse face as all faces are lost already!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BIG airlines must be part of the 16 or they'd throw the other ones under the bus

11 hours ago, webfact said:

SIXTEEN airlines registered in Thailand have failed safety and related regulatory assessments conducted by the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT), requiring them to suspend operations

That's actually good news.

No third runway required and immigration can increase foreigner processing with staff idled by fewer passengers.

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The old saying goes, 'Never fly with Orient Thai'.

The lies and corruption exposed after the Phuket Orient Thai One2Go disaster where flight OG269 crashed killing 90 on board should be enough for anyone of right mind never to fly with them, ever. Overworked pilots, lack of simple control measures etc... of course there will be other airlines flouting the regulations, it's the Thai way.

Money Number One. 

One Orient Thai Jumbo parked up in DM for about 2 years, falling apart

Archived