16 Thai airlines suspend their operations after failing safety assessments

webfact

4 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Here you all go - putting this to bed for everyone now...

The airlines that failed to pass international safety standards include low-cost domestic carriers such as Orient Thai Airlines, Thai VietJet Air and Siam Air Transport. The rest – mostly private charter jet and cargo carriers – are Mjets, K-Mile Air, Jet Asia Airways, AC Aviation, Siam Land Flying, Asia Atlantic Airlines, VIP Jets, H.S. Aviation, Advance Aviation and Skyview Airways.

Source:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2017/09/05/13-airlines-blocked-flying-abroad-await-judgment/

You're welcome

but they pass the inexistent domestic safety standards

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Appreciated.  So  mostly   non   mainstream  general  public passenger oriented  carriers  probably  ignoring  or   paying  off   compliances. 

>>>>>>>carriers  probably  ignoring  or   paying  off   compliances.<<<<<

Welcome to the Brotherhood of Thai Bashers.

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

There is no such thing as "Thai Air" -  unless you are talking about pollution, or about 1 confused poster (if so, why was he confused?).

And I believe that the most common heard questions in this thread were: who are those 12 (or 16) airlines, and why are they not named.

If that is Thai bashing, so be it.

No  Thai  Air?  Do  you   wish  to  involve  semantics?

I  doubt  you  were  ever a   Hippy  !   lmao

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

>>>>>>>carriers  probably  ignoring  or   paying  off   compliances.<<<<<

Welcome to the Brotherhood of Thai Bashers.

The  headlining  which  is  unspecific  as  to  which  airlines  have  been  found  to be  non  compliance  for  equally  unspecified   cause seems  to be intended  to  damage  the  reputation  of  the  entire  Thai   domestic  and  international   carrier  industry. 

Is  that  a  fair situation/

Until today, 9 airlines in Thailand have passed the ICAOs strict Recertification Inspection regime and can now resume normal operations.

These include Thai Airways International, Bangkok Airways, Thai AirAsia, Thai AirAsia X, NokScoot, NokAir, Thai Smile Airways, Lion Air and Sabaidee or New Gen Airways.

So, is it possible to determine the other airlines, who did not pass? Were they small charter airlines? Or tiny players like Kan Air? Were any of the big guns cited? Defamation, schmefation. It absolutely stinks. The law reduces Thailand to a very small state. 

Does anyone remember the early BBC television shows for children called 'Watch with mother'? It always started with, "Are we sitting comfortably? Now we'll begin..."

Airlines with ICAO certification in place (operating normally):

Thai Airways International, Bangkok Airways, Thai AirAsia, Thai AirAsia X, NokScoot, NokAir, Thai Smile Airways, Thai Lion Air and Sabaidee or New Gen Airways.

(A loose collective of all the major carriers that the average flying TV member uses)

Airlines awaiting ICAO re-certification (operations suspended):

Orient Thai Airlines, Thai VietJet Air, Siam Air Transport, Mjets, K-Mile Air, Jet Asia Airways, AC Aviation, Siam Land Flying, Asia Atlantic Airlines, VIP Jets, H.S. Aviation, Advance Aviation and Skyview Airways
(A loose collective of charter, cargo, LCC and other minor carriers that the average flying TV member didn't even know existed).

All of the above information was already posted, quoted or linked to elsewhere in this overly long thread.

Disclaimer: Any use or claim of the above information as the basis of an official or approved public statement is up to you.

While the debate on this thread about who the suspended carriers are has now been ended, mention has been made a couple of times about the defamation laws and their role in possibly preventing news organisations publishing the names. It seems that those posters scoffing at 'bad reporting' really do not understand how these laws work - it does not matter whether what is published is absolute fact and true, they can still be prosecuted under the Thai defamation laws, which are not based on the truth of the matter, but on whether publishing the information has damaged a reputation or caused financial loss, and it is up to the person or organisation publishing to prove that they have not, and not for the person or organisation who claims they have been defamed to prove that their reputation or business has suffered. It is thus completely understandable that Thai based news outlets did not publish the names initially, and may still be hesitant to. As spidermike007 correctly posted, the defamation laws are one of the single most important things wrong in Thailand, as they allow people, businesses and authorities to prevent the truth being told.

2 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Perhaps it is a 'cultural' issue, not just for safety but a total 'disregard' for many things? :whistling: :sad:

You're probably right. It's part of the me first culture.

Me, why should I spend money on safety? The money's better in my personal bank account

Me, why should I follow traffic rules? I want to get where I'm going.

Me, why should I worry about making loud noise. I like it.

Me, etc etc etc

If an airline is non-compliant with ICAO certification standards they will be banned from operating in the airspace of many countries as a near automatic thing. Also flying to a country other than that of origin, where compliance is not a pre-requisite (hence the 'I' in ICAO) they may run the risk of the aircraft being grounded and stranded with permission to depart denied.

As to reducing the expenses and overheads of the affected carriers - well, the rules were always there. Failure to adhere to, or comply with, those rules and resultant costs should be entirely on them. If it sends them out of business it is probably something you could describe as 'a result'.

The farcical thing about all of this is the fact it is all paperwork based. At no stage are actual standards or practical operating procedures under scrutiny. 

1 hour ago, hungk said:

There was a news item lately about laws being changed to allow more foreign engineers work here but that's because of the high speed train line.

I believe this is a reference to the planned high-speed lines between Thailand and China where China was insisting that since they were paying, they wanted their construction crews doing the job. Thailand then decided that this was not such a good idea and the project headed for the sidings.

18 hours ago, nong38 said:

When I look at airline the first thing I do is look at the safety record, then I ask myself how much do I trust this airline to maintain their aircraft in a safe condition, because I am putting my life in their hands.

I have not used a Thai airline for over 5 years and that will continue to be the case. Thats my choice.

Don't fly much domestic Thai then?

I fly DM to Buriram regularly...Air Asia or Nok are the only choices.....or go by bus or train, which are most certainly not my choice.

There aren't that many airlines operating out of Thailand.

Some sort of list of all airlines might be useful, remove the 9 which passed the test from this list and there's the result.

There's a wikipedia page which contains a list but who knows how accurate / up to date it is.

17 minutes ago, ukrules said:

There aren't that many airlines operating out of Thailand.

Some sort of list of all airlines might be useful, remove the 9 which passed the test from this list and there's the result.

There's a wikipedia page which contains a list but who knows how accurate / up to date it is.

I already posted the list on a previous page. 

Archived