Damning statistics - only 13% of Thai rapes end in convictions, report

webfact

Damning statistics - only 13% of Thai rapes end in convictions, report

11pm.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK: -- A National Police report on rape revealed this week shows only a fraction of cases result in the perpetrator facing justice.

It has been claimed that there are almost four rapes an hour in Thailand - but many of these go unreported and fewer still end in the courts.

Celebrated and scandalous cases in the public eye remain unresolved, reported Tnews.

The news media was looking at cases of rape from 2009 to 2013.

tn.jpg

Picture: TNews

Of an average of 4000 cases per year that were actually reported only an average of 2,400 resulted in convictions.

But police surveys suggested that rape cases were much higher than that.

Police admitted themselves that the likely incidence of rape in Thailand was likely to be 30,000 cases per year roughly equating to four an hour.

This meant a clear up rate of just 13%.

In 2009 there were almost 5,000 reported rapes, only half of which were cleared up.

Tnews said that celebrated cases such as the Phitsanulok gang rape of July 1977 remained largely unresolved highlighting poor police procedures.

In this case a woman found mutilated on the railway tracks was presumed the victim of an accident by the cops.

A subsequent investigation by reporters into inaccuracies forced them to reopen the case.

It was then found that 30 men had gang raped the victim and put her on the tracks to die to cover up the crime.

Only eight or nine men ever faced the courts in that case.

No explanation was given in the Tnews story as to why the statistics mentioned came from the years 2009 to 2013 and were not more recent.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-05

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rijb said:

You have to wonder how many are unreported.  Due in large part to the low conviction rates.

"Police admitted themselves that the likely incidence of rape in Thailand was likely to be 30,000 cases per year roughly equating to four an hour"

It's already stated in the article..

Misleading headline. 2400 of 4000 reported cases ended in convictions. I don't know how that compares to other jurisdictions, but we don't know how many cases of the 4000 never made it to court because of lack of evidence or because the charges were unfounded (it does happen!). The number in the headline here is based on an estimate of unreported cases (only God knows how accurate that is!) and assumes all allegations of rape are true. 

What is this news trying to tell me? Perhaps "Every reported rape needs to end in a conviction" or something? The West is playing that dangerous game right now, not working out that great on either end.

Painfully stupid stats like these just don't help anybody whatsoever.

4 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Damn!!! 

Lobotomies of most males would solve the problem.

That and castration. Where the hell do these horny fracks get their education?

Just happy I don't have a daughter here in Tland.

Disgusting!

Sorry, rape is not about sex, it is about power, really.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

"Police admitted themselves that the likely incidence of rape in Thailand was likely to be 30,000 cases per year roughly equating to four an hour"

It's already stated in the article..

The article doesn't state the reasons for not reporting rape.  Hence, my speculation about conviction rates.

You're assuming that all the men are guilty, what you mean is that 13% of the accusations are proven thus 87% are not proven, I know that us males are the scum of the earth according the the loony left wishy-washy liberals but at least provide proof before you convict us all.

Brigante7.

4 minutes ago, Brigante7 said:

You're assuming that all the men are guilty, what you mean is that 13% of the accusations are proven thus 87% are not proven, I know that us males are the scum of the earth according the the loony left wishy-washy liberals but at least provide proof before you convict us all.

Brigante7.

Dude, you need help. Badly.

6 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Dude, you need help. Badly.

Women can do no wrong. Right? It is honourable.

At the same time, there are AHs and they are not going to make it easier for true victims to get justice. Here is the formula: kharma mentality/quiet religious leaders + losing face culture/repressed emotions + propaganda/poor school programs/TV soaps/games + money talks/corruption = top-dog wins everytime. It is of course much more complicated than this. This is a forum.

Ask yourself who are the top-dogs and follow the money and the ... semen. 

That being said, there are problems in the West too.

4 hours ago, newcomer71 said:

Where you got that data from?

In 2015-16, police recorded 23,851 reports of adults being raped

Recorded rapes of children rose from 5,878 in 2011-12 to 11,947 in 2015-16

last year there were 2,689 convictions recorded, a rate of 7.5% of recorded allegations by adults and children. The same figure four years earlier was 15%, while the number convicted in 2011-12 was lower, at 2,414.  

'guardian'

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Sorry, rape is not about sex, it is about power, really.

Feminist over-simplification. If it were true, you would have many more older, "successful" women being raped, but that's relatively rare. It's mostly young women/girls who are victims of rape. The "power" argument can't explain that.  

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

Before we all start bashing Thailand, please do some research about your own country, like some of us already did.

Very bad for your mental health, including finding out the false accusations and convictions.

We are not in our home countries and we're not posting on HomeCountryVisa.com. 

My girlfriend is also not in her home country, she's also here and at risk, like everyone else's wife, gf, or daughter. 

So bash away. They are savages getting away with a horrible crime.

Statistically, I don't think the 13% figure listed in the OP is supportable, since for starters, it seems to presume that 100% of all the theorized and reported cases are legitimate, which certainly is not the case.

But that notwithstanding, the broader point of the article is correct: there are a lot of actual rapes in Thailand, too many of which never result in criminal convictions for the perpetrators, and many more real cases that never lead to criminal charges for all kinds of different Thai-societal specific reasons.

Not that similar things don't happen elsewhere, because they do. But Thailand's handling of actual rape cases (not to mention broader domestic violence) both by investigators and the justice system, based on many past reported cases, clearly has been shown to be a stain on the country.

According to the US Bureau of Justice Statistics’ National Crime Victimization Survey statistics 2008 - 2012 that in 3 out of 100 rapes, does the perpetrator spend even a single day in prison. From a 2014 Washington Post article.

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

Before we all start bashing Thailand, please do some research about your own country, like some of us already did.

Very bad for your mental health, including finding out the false accusations and convictions.

This is a forum about Thailand and what happens there. It is not about rape cases anywhere else but Thailand.

The huge proportion of unreported rapes raises 2 questions in my mind. (1) How capable are many victims of taking that brave step, into the Police station and to make that massive statement, regarding losing her virginity and innocence, to total strangers? The victim's family background comes into this question, too, of course . . . to what extent would the victim's father/mother help towards getting the rape reported. Fear of disbelief, by the police; disrespect within the local community and feelings that the whole painful process simply isn't worth it. Police sponsored public awareness of the need to report all rapes would help here, but that requires preparation and getting out, onto the street, 7/11 doors and even on every lamp-post.

Q2 is how ready and willing are most police officers to lend a serious ear to the victim, before trying to draw their possibly unfair and prejudiced conclusions?

I don't know what the 'normal' punishment tariff is for rape. Can anyone help me, there?

3 hours ago, Lupatria said:

...and I thought gambling, road rage and gossiping were the most favorite hobby's here.

Definately gossiping would of been on top of my list I should know my wife is good at it But she has heaps of mates in her soi They are not bad either at it

11 minutes ago, Ossy said:

The huge proportion of unreported rapes raises 2 questions in my mind. (1) How capable are many victims of taking that brave step, into the Police station and to make that massive statement, regarding losing her virginity and innocence, to total strangers? The victim's family background comes into this question, too, of course . . . to what extent would the victim's father/mother help towards getting the rape reported. Fear of disbelief, by the police; disrespect within the local community and feelings that the whole painful process simply isn't worth it. Police sponsored public awareness of the need to report all rapes would help here, but that requires preparation and getting out, onto the street, 7/11 doors and even on every lamp-post.

Q2 is how ready and willing are most police officers to lend a serious ear to the victim, before trying to draw their possibly unfair and prejudiced conclusions?

I don't know what the 'normal' punishment tariff is for rape. Can anyone help me, there?

500 baht and say sorry to the family

I'm actually kind of shocked to read that of the rapes reported anyone is even charged, let alone convicted. Maybe these involve minors?

Given that rape seems to be a universal occurrence in Thai lakorn, it almost seems "acceptable"? The gal almost always seems to eventually fall in love with her rapist.

Archived