Tropical Crotch Rot

Jingthing

Got your attention, I guess. 

Can also call it jock itch. 

This topic has been covered before but I'm looking for some fresh advice, other than seeing a doctor, which is obvious.

I've had issues over the years with fungus on my foot, crotch, and underarms.

Years ago I did see a doc and he suggested Daktacort for the underarms which is a mix of anti-fungal and some steroid. It works but I've had to reapply the treatment several times over the years when it comes back. You have to be careful with steroids of course as they will make the skin thinner if you use too much or frequently.

I think he suggested only Daktarin (just the anti-fungal) for the crotch. Anyway I've had the crotch issue less frequently than the underarm issue and have always been able to control it.

But seemingly not now.

I did Daktarin for six weeks and it seemed to help somewhat but the irritation was more about inflammation and burning more than itching. The same problem this time between butt cheeks.

So I stopped it because it didn't seem like the current treatment was going to improve things any more. But there's still a problem.

So for a few days I've been drying the area well and applying aloe vera gel hoping to soothe the burning/irratation. The areas are very inflamed while showering and applying the gel, but the gel does provide a good amount of symptomatic relief later. But I'm sure it's not "curing" the underlying problem. Just symptom relief. That isn't good enough.

Please don't suggest Snake brand powder. I tried that and it made things worse!

I had read some website saying before even trying antifungal on the crotch, try some 1 percent steroid cream AND zinc oxide for a few days. I didn't do that. Just went straight to the antifungal treatment. 

Now I am wondering if I should try the steroid cream plus zinc oxide for awhile. My understanding is the zinc oxide is safe to use for a long time but the same issues with steroid creams using for a long time. Because there is a lot more skin area in the crotch and buttocks than underarms, I'm concerned about using steroid cream there. Also, if it's applied around the anus, is there an issue of it getting absorbed internally? 

The other question I have is whether the steroid cream I use should be the combo (Daktacort) that includes antifungal or just plain steroid cream.

I haven't started that idea yet but it seems reasonable to try for at least a week anyway to see if it starts to clear. I'm assuming steroid cream will help as it has with my underarms. 

But I'm wondering if people have other/better ideas?

Another thing I'm wondering about is some kind of other "natural" thing than aloe vera to heal the inflammation and burning.  The aloe vera gel I use of course isn't pure. Perhaps other stuff in the gel is irritating. 

I do realize another possibility is a bacterial infection which I would need a doctor for. But for now I'm looking for ideas to treat it myself.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Canestan?  Plus anti-fugal foot powder. 

I'm really only interested in the crotch and butt problem now. It's never been a problem to clear up foot fungus. I already used an antifungal like Canestan (Daktarin) for well over a month. Still not better. I'm not sure how much of the problem was actually fungus. 

5 minutes ago, tonray said:

As above,  canesten cream or Mycozole powder. 

As a replacement for the aloe, use virgin coconut oil. It helped me heal skin in some sensitive places when aloe had no effect.

Dakatarin which I've been using has the same antifungal agent as Mycozole powder. It doesn't seem logical to me that changing to Canestin (another antifungal) will produce different results than Daktarin.

On the other hand, if I do decide to try another course with antifungals, might be worth changing types.  

The coconut oil is an interesting idea. Thanks for that. Again, I wouldn't expect it to actual clear up the problem, but as the aloe vera definitely isn't, might be worth a try. 

May I suggest wearing looser garments. Only wear cotton. And disposing of your  synthetic mix tighty-whitey underware. Drying thoroughly after a shower and going commando where possible. Once you have killed off the fungus I'd suggest dusting your dangly bits and nether regions with prickly heat powder as part of your dressing routine.

Alternatively dry off in front of a fan after showering. 

Oh and if you are a tad pudgy.. Loose some weight.. Mould likes to grow in damp cracks

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Go away. 

seems like Im off the ignore list….for shame.

fungus grows slowly….and goes away slowly too….no quick fixes.

sugar feeds fungus so stop eating dunkin donuts.

Pau de Arco tea is a very potent fungus killer

As is Oregano oil.

The only medicine that might help is a dose of nizoral tablets….followed by application of quadriderm which is a combo of gentamycin, clotrimazole and betamethasone.

33 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

May I suggest wearing looser garments. Only wear cotton. And disposing of your  synthetic mix tighty-whitey underware. Drying thoroughly after a shower and going commando where possible. Once you have killed off the fungus I'd suggest dusting your dangly bits and nether regions with prickly heat powder as part of your dressing routine.

Alternatively dry off in front of a fan after showering. 

... and shower using tepid / cool water, not hot. I mean turn on the hot water (if you have a heater) so that it just takes the chill off the water, nothing more.

I would try neem-oil, for sale in plantshops. Is all natural.....

Second you can buy a real aloevera on chatuchak wednesday and try that...they are cheap plants, use it pure and fresh.

Maybe UV-light can also help? For that you go to a nude beach (in Europe or so)....

So far my 2 cents

20 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Snake Brand Prickly Heat powder always worked for me.

snake_brand_prickly_heat_cooling_powder_

I don't like that stuff but it wouldn't help if you're already deeply afflicted. That's more of a maintenance thing.

Also there is an issue of it being possibly carcinogenic.

Talc mined in the right areas isn't. But you'd have to trust the manufacturer is actually always doing that. 

An important detail I failed to mention is that the long course of antifungal cream (Daktarin) DID reduce the redness in the area to a noticeable degree. But it just didn't seem it was going to do more even if doing the same thing for a year. Now I've noticed that I've stopped it, and using the aloe vera (a questionable idea) that the REDNESS is definitely back big time. 

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Is Neem soap for sale in Thailand?

That might be helpful for redness, symptom relief, but I doubt it would cure the underlying problem. 

Don't know but they sell it fresh, called nahm sadao....i use it for the garden and also washed the dog/myself  with it.

But you used prickly heat which indicates me the spot stays too wet....wearing a sarong and nothing underneath it might help....or boxershorts (wide ones)....or have a fan blowing under the sarong when you sit? Maybe you sit too much or should put the aircon on dry-mode?

Just now, Thian said:

But you used prickly heat which indicates me the spot stays too wet....wearing a sarong and nothing underneath it might help....or boxershorts (wide ones)....or have a fan blowing under the sarong when you sit? Maybe you sit too much or should put the aircon on dry-mode?

I only tried for a few days. It irritated the area. I don't use aircon. 

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

I found that laundry powder and fabric conditioner was causing itchy rashes.

Changed to laundry liquid and NO conditioners - the rashes went away after a while.

Yeah many of the Thai laundry shops seem to use more detergent and fabric softener than water.. Previous girlfriend used to ladle it into the machine like mad.

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I found that laundry powder and fabric conditioner was causing itchy rashes.

Changed to laundry liquid and NO conditioners - the rashes went away after a while.

Sounds like an allergic thing in your case. Logically you would get rashes everywhere you wear clothes then, not just creased areas. 

I don't use powder but I do use softener. Because it's only in the creases, I doubt this is the problem for me. 

I guess I'm really hoping that Sheryl will comment about the idea of using steroid cream or steroid cream mixed with antifungal and a second cream, zinc oxide, based on my description. I'm concerned about getting hooked on steroids in that region. 

I'm guessing that's the reason the doctor I saw long ago didn't suggest steroids at first for the crotch, and went more conservative with antifungal only. 

I guess another idea is to switch antifungal creams to Canestan, as the other antifungal at least did reduce redness, and try that for a month or so. The agent is Clotrimazole. That's sold under the Canestan brand in Thailand? 

Archived