Tropical Crotch Rot

Jingthing

Make sure you're treating any athlete's foot you have with the same procedure. It's the same thing. 

Remember to spray the shower floor with a diluted bleach solution. That's probably where this all came from. 

If this isn't over in the next week, stop screwing around and see a dermatologist. 

I have no confidence in the vinegar method or making some paste. 

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, finished the 7 days course using Lamisil Dermgel, once a day. It worked very, very well. It's somewhat of a mystery why the long treatment with Daktarin didn't really work, but I don't really care anymore. 

Have stepped up my hygiene game, drying game (no crying game), spraying the bleach in the shower, treating the feet, bought new underwear, more frequent laundering etc. 

I can't help but recommend again that people try Lamisil Dermgel first. You'll know in two days if it's really fungus. 

Thanks for all the useful and interesting suggestions. 

I'm sure some of them would also work for some people some of the time.

But people seeking treatment only need ONE thing to work. 

Cheers. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2017 at 8:22 PM, gk10002000 said:

Often, while fungi is suspect or present, there is also a significant bacterial infection.  That is why things like Lotrimin Plus or extra which has an anti-bacterial agent can be helpful.  Bottom line is don't focus just on the fungus.

I don't really agree with that, but yes, sometimes bacteria is an issue. But usually, I think not. I had considered treating with Quadriderm which is a combination including anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and steroid. I decided against that even though I bought a tube of it.

It's usually fungus. That should be the first thing to suspect, and there really isn't any need to bother with a doctor while trying to clear it with an anti-fungal.

I started this thread because for some fairly obvious and some mysterious reasons the condition wasn't clearing with just an anti-fungal.

But I made some adjustments, and now it is clear with just an anti-fungal (different chemical) and some important practical changes as well (new underwear, shower floor hygiene, more attention to feet, etc.).

I had mentioned before I had read a link suggesting doing two weeks with a soothing emollient cream after finishing the anti-fungal treatment. Because the skin will still be irritated from the cleared fungal infection and also possibly discolored. I found that interesting because I had never heard that suggestion before.

I considered using the baby nappy cream with Zinc Oxide commonly sold in Thailand, but that's an emollient and an astringent.

So instead I went with Boot's Shea Butter Body Butter for an emollient. Almost finished the two weeks and the skin discoloration has mostly been cleared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shea_butter

After that, I'll try the vinegar spray thing to prevent reinfection, but I'm not sure if I really need that and thinking it might be overkill. 

I'm also using Mycoderm antifungal powder sold in the foot care section at Boots on my feet as a preventative. I'm pretty sure that's the root of my jock problem, up from the feet, so keeping that in check seems to make sense.

I want to also explain the main reason I was reluctant to see a doctor about this before, other than wanting to save a few baht.

I assumed that when I told a doctor the history of an antifungal not working, that the most probable advice would be to use a cream with a steroid element. Because of what I  know about my skin based on experience with my underarm area, I was concerned that would lead to a situation of needing to use a steroid down there again and again. I strongly wanted to avoid any chance of that.

Just my opinion of course as everyone is different, but I would suggest to most people, try to avoid using a steroid cream at all in the groin area, if at all possible. 

30 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Has anyone mentioned Ringworm. Because that can be treated with oral medication.

Same same.

Oral medication for a  case of jock itch is overkill.

What is jock itch?

Jock itch (tinea cruris) is a form of ringwormRingworm is not a worm at all. It is a fungal infectionof the outer layers of skinhair, or nails. Fungi (plural of fungus) are present everywhere in our environment

https://www.webmd.com/men/tc/jock-itch-topic-overview#1

Archived