Tropical Crotch Rot

Jingthing

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, csabo said:

Had a bout of black nut myself.  Tinactin knocked it out.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Tinactin-Jock-Itch-Spray-Powder-4-6-oz-Pack-of-3/1200111873

That does have a different active ingredient. Tolnaftate. Is that brand sold in Thailand? Googling it, it seems that it is NOT sold in Thailand. Not sure though. 

5 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I also found that using a cream just made things worse. At least the poweder kept things dry.

The powder goes into the skin, that can't be good imo.

To dry the skin you need dry air which can easy flow over the spots...sleeping naked in aircon will do that..

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

What amazing things one reads here, never heard of this before, I shower twice a day and that's it,no problems but from the number of replies it appears that some people do suffer from this. Maybe be more discerning where you put your naughty bits.

It is a common problem. I reckon people are shy about it though. 

The doc I saw about it (before) indicated he sees it all the time. 

But I reckon where I'm at with it now is less common. 

Which is why I'm really at a loss as to what to try next. Clearly not more of the aloe vera gel though! 

Had this about 6 years ago when I was still in blighty, & despite going to see my gp & getting different anti fungal creams, it would just not go.

During that time I got a small bacterial infection on my wrist, for which my gp gave me some Fucidin, where cleared up my wrist.

Tried putting some of it on my groin, & everything dissappeared - the rash that is ! 555

The issue with talc powders I was talking about was potential asbestos content. If the talc is mined where there is no asbestos, much better. But even then, and given you don't always really know what manufacturers are doing, there is a general carcinogenic risk warning that WOMEN should avoid talc powders in the genital region. An alternative is corn starch powders but I don't know if there are any commercial ones in Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, faraday said:

Had this about 6 years ago when I was still in blighty, & despite going to see my gp & getting different anti fungal creams, it would just not go.

During that time I got a small bacterial infection on my wrist, for which my gp gave me some Fucidin, where cleared up my wrist.

Tried putting some of it on my groin, & everything dissappeared - the rash that is ! 555

Yes, that's always a possibility. A bacterial infection. But given my history with fungus irritations, I assumed it's probably not that. I'm pretty sure that would much less common than a fungus thing.  But maybe it is. For that, I need to see a doc I think. I suspect Sheryl will tell me to see a doc anyway. 

I could be wrong, but it's my impression that if there is a bacterial infection then you need to medically diagnose what kind of bacteria you are infected with, so that the medication would be different depending on that. 

Last month, I used up the last of some Desenex athlete's foot powder I brought from the USA over 10 years ago.  It was my go-to any time I had crotch rot or itchy foot.  (I don't refer to them by any formal terms because I never got a proper diagnosis- but the treatment worked, so....)  Please post back if you find any powder in Thailand that works.  They've got creams out the wazoo here, but the Snake Brand Powder is the only powder I've seen and it's okay for a normal day, but not when it's on me...

BTW, I noticed Amazon had lots of vendors selling Desenex.  I'd hope at least one of them will ship to Thailand...

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Wire brush and Dettol, Billy Connolly says it cures everything.

regards worgeordie

P.S. for any fungal infections I just use TONAF

So Tonaf is sold in Thailand? As a powder, cream, or spray? Tonaf uses tolnaftate like like branded spray mentioned before.

Even though I really need a cure, the comments here on suggestions to prevent and maintain a cure are good too. As I know this is a common problem, hopefully many people can be helped. 

These kinds of things DO tend to come back even after you've cleared them. As I've experienced with my underarms. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

So Tonaf is sold in Thailand? As a powder, cream, or spray? Tonaf using tolnaftate like like branded spray mentioned before.

Yes TONAF seems to be the go to fungal treatment for Thais,

available at every chemists,it's a cream.

regards Worgeordie

Just a couple of points.

Often regular skin disorders are brought upon by a liver malfunction. Pay closer attention to your diet; both solid and liquid.

Clothing. Wear thin. natural-fibre, loose fitting, underclothes. Check also that some powder, or similar, in the washing cycle is not an irritant to you.

Now as for getting shot and keeping clear; a couple of these things have been mentioned and they are good fayre.

Only use warm water,

do not 'scrub' the area,

don't use soap,

air dry.

Try (neem) sadao. Different parts of the tree are good for different things. Go to a tree and pick some bright green leaves. Soak them in water overnight and then crush (masicate) the leaves into the water. A couple of hours later the concoction is ready. Get an old cotton - but clean - T-shirt and soak the neem juice into it. Place the cloth onto the affected area. Also try the fruit from the neem tree. I have litres of it in the kitchen as a natural cleaner (bleach substitute)

Once the area has visibly improved use (witch hazel)  leeladadee, (thai  แม่มดเฮเซล). This is great to dab on before going to sleep. Keep a fan not too far from those affected areas.

Really? You're  happier with the opinions of the TV "experts" rather than pay a few dollars and go to a qualified clinical dermatologist for "proper" treatment and medication? For goodness sake, get yourself to McCormick Hospital or Bagkok Hospital or Ram Hospital and stop looking for a TV miracle cure.

Regards,

Joe

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Just a couple of points.

Often regular skin disorders are brought upon by a liver malfunction. Pay closer attention to your diet; both solid and liquid.

Clothing. Wear thin. natural-fibre, loose fitting, underclothes. Check also that some powder, or similar, in the washing cycle is not an irritant to you.

Now as for getting shot and keeping clear; a couple of these things have been mentioned and they are good fayre.

Only use warm water,

do not 'scrub' the area,

don't use soap,

air dry.

Try (neem) nahm sadao. Different parts of the tree are good for different things. Go to a tree and pick some bright green leaves. Soak them in water overnight and then crush (masicate) the leaves into the water. A couple of hours later the concoction is ready. Get an old cotton - but clean - T-shirt and soak the neem juice into it. Place the cloth onto the affected area. Also try the fruit from the neem tree. I have litres of it in the kitchen as a natural cleaner (bleach substitute)

Once the area has visibly improved use (witch hazel)  leeladadee, (thai  แม่มดเฮเซล). This is great to dab on before going to sleep. Keep a fan not too far from those affected areas.

Wow. That's a lot to digest. I'm not near a tree but I guess I can check out the natural / herbal sources here. 

2 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Really? You're  happier with the opinions of the TV "experts" rather than pay a few dollars and go to a qualified clinical dermatologist for "proper" treatment and medication? For goodness sake, get yourself to McCormick Hospital or Bagkok Hospital or Ram Hospital and stop looking for a TV miracle cure.

Regards,

Joe

I already covered this in the O.P. 

Honestly, my POV is not about running to doctor for everything right away. 

In this case the only reason to go is if I'm convinced it probably isn't fungus related, but rather bacteria related.

Because the antifungal did at least improve the redness and irritation, that's still a mixed message.

Years ago, I had two ingrown toenails. Most people would have gone to the doctor for that, and in Thailand that probably would have meant permanently removing the toenails.

But I tried a home remedy first. Difficult and took a long time, but now the ingrown toenails are gone and I still have them. 

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Wow. That's a lot to digest. I'm not near a tree but I guess I can check out the natural / herbal sources here.

You might be nearer than you think; they are everywhere.

Keep away from those quacks Jingthing. There is more honest help on TVF and it's FREE.

5 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Regards,

Joe

Just buy a tube of Quadriderm........:smile:

Just ask a Thai for ton sadao (neem tree), they are everywhere and the locals know where. Neem oil is made from the seeds though but to me it looks more like water than oil.

I would never rub a powder in irritated skin...it will go in the pores.

Maybe you should try aircon for a while? This weather makes us very sweaty and if you wear too many tight clothes that can't be good i guess. I like the dry-fit clothes (sportswear) cause it's very thin and works good. It's not pure cotton though. I also wear boxers from pierre cardin (50% discount of course).

Swimming in sea is also good for skin, running in sand good for footskin.

The red line is humid skin i guess which has to be dried and that works best in dry air.

Also i noticed that when we go to bed the humidity in the bedroom goes low when we turn on the aircon but when we wake up the humidity can be very high since the aircon doesn't do much once the temp. is reached...buy a hygrometer to measure humidity...they are cheap.

well aware of the sensitive location but Apple Cider Vinegar on a cotton bud, it will either instantly or after a while sting if it's jock itch so you know it's working.

then you let it dry and try to keep the area as dry as possible. might have to repeat for a while depending on severity

you can expect peeling skin at some point and maybe some discoloration depending on what you use

fungi drying/dying under skin has to get out somehow

I know I’m fairly new here, although I’ve been reading this forum for quite some time.

But I hope maybe my experience can be helpful to you. Luckily my problem is not as bad as yours, and is located on my hand.

As previous post stated, you do need to go see a doc, because skin problems often indicate other underlying issues, as it was stated before – liver disease. Or as in my case - stomach problems. I have GERD and gastritis, and sometimes I eat what I shouldn’t (and not take meds for my stomach) or I get stressed badly. Flare ups come pretty fast.

If it’s possible do blood test to check that, especially ESR. If you can’t then go on a diet, exclude basically everything but cooked grains and plane meat, maybe some steam veggies, no spices or sauces, no coffee.

You can also try antihistamines with some of the creams you’re planning to use, but again, I strongly suggest seeing a doc.

Coconut oil does sooth and reduce inflammation for me, neem did nothing for me at all. Aloe vera is a bit tricky as often it contains other ingredients and for me sometimes it makes things a LOT worse.

On zinc cream, my dad been using that for 5 years almost constantly, on his face, so far no issue and he does blood test very often. It helps him tremendously.

I stick to diet, antihistamines and my PPIs.

Have not read all posts, but here the cure, but need be patient.

1)  This is a fungal infection and takes time and consistent treatment.

2)  It is easy to re-infect, over and over.....Wear loose clothing, boxers (cotton), change initially twice a day, 

wash hot, or iron or at least let sun dry. Or blow hot quickly with hairdryer.

3)  Buy Nizzoral Shampoo / Generic Copy is fine.

4)  Shampoo affected + area very well, let it foam up, rub it in and let it take effect for 15 minutes, then wash it off.

5)  Repeat this 3 days in a row evenings. Blow-dry affected area and get lots of air to it.

6)  It can take up to 3 weeks to totally heal.

7)  Repeat 4) & 5) after 7 days etc.

8)  Once healed if prone to fungal infections, use this shampoo allover once every few weeks.

9)  Careful, all these meds dry your skin badly, even damage it if overused. Use Nivea or Vaseline lotion after

treating until good fresh skin back, which can take weeks, depending how bad infection was.

10) Spores are in your clothes, so remember to iron or wash hot etc.

Good luck...  MS>

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

The foot powder is called mycozol 

719fzSR8fmL._SL1500_.jpg

Also in a "red" container.

I lightly dust my lychee nuts with this every day….more as a prophylactic than anything else….no problems so far...

and when the ladies go down they don't report any strange taste…even though i haven't showered.

Archived