Tropical Crotch Rot

Jingthing

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once you do find something to clear the problem, take a good look at your wardrobe. It's very likely your skin is reacting to a combination of your own sweat and particular fibre type (s).

BTW, a doctor (thai) told me to NOT use any prickly heat style powders with this problem as it's counter productive.

Since stopping wearing nylon (oooh matron ?) and polyester, swimming shorts immediately come to mind with their net-under pant lining,  I have had no repetition of the problem.

2 minutes ago, nss70 said:

Once you do find something to clear the problem, take a good look at your wardrobe. It's very likely your skin is reacting to a combination of your own sweat and particular fibre type (s).

BTW, a doctor (thai) told me to NOT use any prickly heat style powders with this problem as it's counter productive.

Since stopping wearing nylon (oooh matron ?) and polyester, swimming shorts immediately come to mind with their net-under pant lining,  I have had no repetition of the problem.

Some good points there. I do have a history of allergies so you're right a more holistic approach is a good idea. Otherwise, assuming I ever clear it, it will come back. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'll probably try that one next after my short course with Quadriderm. Like I said you can't use a steroid on the skin for very long. 

I used steroid cream for near 20 years for Psoriasis...But it did not work on my fungal stuff in the groin area..

i used a medicinal ointment containing Salascilic acid and it works a treat. Whitfields ointment 

Whitfield's ointment is salicylic acid and benzoic acid in a suitable base, such as lanolin or vaseline.
The original ointment contains 3% salicylic acid and 6% benzoic acid, but other ratios are also used.[1][2][3]

It is used for the treatment of fungal infections, such as athlete's foot. It can have a slight burning effect that goes away after a few minutes. A systematic review of the medical literature examining all treatments for ringworm and jock itch was generally critical of the quality of data available. It concluded that there was "insufficient evidence to determine if Whitfield's ointment, a widely used agent is effective".[4] This means the studies executed were poor, not that Whitfield's ointment is necessarily ineffective. Individual studies, for instance "Treatment of superficial mycoses in the tropics: Whitfield's ointment versus clotrimazole"[5] support its use as a cost-effective treament.

It is named after Arthur Whitfield (1868–1947), a British dermatologist

Dermatologists always look first at toenail fungus, which goes to your groin either by touch OR when you pull on your underpants.

You should not use any powders because the fungus or yeast loves to "eat" the starch.

Jock itch can take months to go. When it gets worse, it goes to your balls, bum and sometimes your penile head causing balanitis.

I was using Daktarin and then Canestan until my skin doc said I had some kind of eczema and gave me a steroid cream alone. Steroids are good for the itching part, it seems.

The long regime, whatever the cause, also includes cotton underwear and washing with the simplest unperfumed soap you can find and then rinsing a lot with warm water.

The doc gave me Mometasone (Elomet) cream, but I'm still not convinced. You should avoid the strongest steroids (there is a list of relative strengths on Google).

The antifungal tablets are not normally used for this because they are so liver-toxic. Even if you do use them, you should only use for a week and then have a holiday from them for a week or more.

If you had a skin biopsy taken, hopefully it will show something and let you proceed. As with everything, some people favour things like Tea-Tree or even Dettol (!eek)

Eddy

I use 'Canasone C.B.'...  Broad spectrum Antifungal plus Anti-inflammatory  (cortisone)... works wonders... fairly quickly..  get it at your chemist...  there are many versions of Cortisone creams.. most are effective, I think.. Cortisone creams should be used sparingly.. an not continually over a long period of time.. Google ..cortisone.. side effects..    If I use it the rash usually clears up in a couple of days.. then may not use it again for several weeks..  Powders mentioned above help keep area dry... no jocks keeps the air circulating.. good luck.. 

I had the problem many years ago and was treating it with all sorts of ointments and powders for several weeks without success - they just aggravated it. Then a doctor diagnosed it as fungal tinea and prescribed some tablets (I don't remember what) and it cleared up within a day.

Canesten doesn't help IMHO.

I use Lamisil cream. It's a fungal cream for athletes crotch/athletes foot (Same fungus).

Usually this occurs after sitting on very long journeys or particularly hot weather.

Don't use these treatments for too long.

They're too strong, and just eat into the skin, making it worse rather than better.

All these creams, ointments and powders, tables, soaps and plant extracts, changing washing powders, changing clothes, air con on, sunlight, etc...

Guys, all you need is the rubbing alcohol... the itch will stop straight away.. and the skin will heal up very quickly in about a week and you are cured.  

But if you want to spend you time visiting doctors, hospitals and spend money of expensive creams and lotions and a new wardrobe then that's up to you. 

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

All these creams, ointments and powders, tables, soaps and plant extracts, changing washing powders, changing clothes, air con on, sunlight, etc...

Guys, all you need is the rubbing alcohol... the itch will stop straight away.. and the skin will heal up very quickly in about a week and you are cured.  

But if you want to spend you time visiting doctors, hospitals and spend money of expensive creams and lotions and a new wardrobe then that's up to you. 

What works for you may not work for others, in fact your method did not work for me. A 200bht tube of Quadriderm sorted it "for me"...:stoner:

Jing, skippy peanut butter like you'd eat as kid with grape jelly on white bread.

Now ideally it's the chunky variety but if you must then creamy.

You'll want to apply liberally in the morning hours and spend your

day on normal routine i.e. baht bus reviews etc. etc.

After said day has run it's course you should head for the shower and wash up,

the sticky gritty feeling in your britches should alleviate immediately.

I read this all with interest. I left for a six week tour of southern Europe in the spring with jock itch that made me miserable for three weeks hiking around! The problem is it starts out as a little itch but then gets out of control, especially in this climate. 

So much misinformation in these seven pages of responses. First of all it's a form of ringworm that is the same culprit for athletes foot. Steroids (cortisone) will not help and may make it worse. 

Use an antifungal cream or powder that contains terbinafine, miconazole, or clotrimazole. You can buy these products without a prescription. Brand names include Lamisil, Lotrimin, Micatin, and Monistat. Follow the directions on the package, and don't stop using the medicine just because your symptoms go away. Use the medicine exactly as the label says.

I would see a dermatologist. You say you don't want to run to the Dr for every little thing but he will put you on a course of something that works. 

It takes being consistent and not being all over the board with all these crazy suggestions. Use a hair dryer after a shower to make sure the area is dry. Spray a bleach/water solution in the shower to kill the cause of the fungi. Make sure to treat athlete's foot if you have it, it's all connected. 

Go see the Dr and ignore most of the responses here.

Jock Itch treatment on WebMD

Use Sudocrem, it works wonders. My three kids had it applied liberally about 2 or 3 times a day, for about two years, and never suffered "nappy rash", which is basically what you have (I am NOT implying that you wet your pants though 5555). Used to buy it in all major supermarkets in the UK, or from Boots the Chemists. Good luck!

Two points on this one. Make sure you're dealing with the right issue. So called 'Jock Itch' is a fungal infection, whilst Prickly Heat is a rash caused by blockage of the sweat glands. And the treatment for the two is different.

It seems to me that the OP has got his diagnosis correct and if so, prickly heat powder, such as Snake Brand is not appropriate.

I got advice regarding Jock Itch a long time ago from an RAF doctor in Singapore. 'Dump the jocks'. I mean it. I never wear them at all now and I've never any problems down there.

Swing free OP and you troubles could be over.  :smile:

Tea tree oil works against fungus, but as any remedy nothing fast.

Other than that you can make a paste with 1 part baking soda, 3-4 parts corn starch and virgin coconut oil, solved all irritations in my armpits and works better than any deodorant I've tried so far, I also use it on my crotch.

could be a combo: tinea versicolor (fungus) and folliculitis (bacteria), I had this on chest and beard area. Cleared the fungus with Lamisil, and then treated the bacterial infection with rubbing alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide (6%) over several weeks, stubborn little pests. This may hurt (especially where you got it), go easy on the H2O2 (maybe once or twice a day) - the alcohol can let flow as much as you feel like. Shave it, and then alcohol - oh joy!

I read on page 7 that you have to be more desperate to try

the oral anti fungal tablets but if you really want to get rid

of your problem that is your solution. Works great. Quick

cheap and effective. If you are worried about your liver stop

drinking for a few weeks, take some B complex vitamins.

If they were that harmful to your liver they would not have

FDA approval. I picked up some at the pharmacy beside Tims

on Pattaya second road. Of course up to you.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.  

21 hours ago, Pdaz said:

May I suggest wearing looser garments. Only wear cotton. And disposing of your  synthetic mix tighty-whitey underware. Drying thoroughly after a shower and going commando where possible. Once you have killed off the fungus I'd suggest dusting your dangly bits and nether regions with prickly heat powder as part of your dressing routine.

Alternatively dry off in front of a fan after showering. 

Oh and if you are a tad pudgy.. Loose some weight.. Mould likes to grow in damp cracks

Some good advice, but why not try showering and/or bathing more frequently. I like to shower at  least  two times a day even if I stay in a/c. If out in the weather, I shower/bathe more frequently--most good massage parlors will gladly bathe and pamper you when out and about. Keeping sweat-friction-free is key to eliminating such rashes.

I have had both jock itch and butt rash over the years on & off during hot weather periods, having read the thread, no one has mentioned about soaps and shampoos/shower gels affecting your skin. My advice which works for me if ever I get a flare up (which I don't now-a-days)

- As mentioned no tight fitting undies, and cotton only

- Use only simple type neutral soaps/shampoos around you crotch/never regions

For both conditions: a topical corticosteroid cream (I use Trimovate cream, this clears things up in a few days) and gives instant relief, once symptoms have been relieved and rash clears (after a few days) then maintain with just regular clean warm water and no scented soaps shampoos etc - use mild simple products, loose fitting cotton undies (going commando will not help, in fact it could trigger an attack) 

If after a few days no improvement you need to go see a Doc.

I have always gone with the idea that baby shampoos, talcs and Sudocrem, if they are mild enough for babies then they aint gonna do my bits any harm either so I do use these regular, maybe why I don't have these types of attacks anymore, I also use Snake brand occasionally when here in LOS, just a bit at night after last shower under pits and never regions, would not use if having a flare up though, Yikes!

Archived