Fiber Optic Router Replace???? Help!!!

moonseeker

Does anyone know how to switch out of bridge mode. My ISP is 3BB & I have a Huawei HG8045A modem which I changed to bridge mode myself although I don’t remember how! Attached to that is an Asus RT-AC68U router which I’m not 100% happy with so I’ve order 3 Google WiFi devices but they require the modem not to be in bridge mode. Can I do a factory reset or do I need to ask 3BB to do it remotely?

2 hours ago, happydays said:

Does anyone know how to switch out of bridge mode

Since you should have all the necessary information to set it back up (stored in the AC68) then a factory reset is the easiest route. I'm not even sure if 3BB can deal with it once it's bridged, you could give them a call.

Meanwhile is your AC68 running Merlin? Upgraded firmware may address your issues.

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC68U/

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Since you should have all the necessary information to set it back up (stored in the AC68) then a factory reset is the easiest route. I'm not even sure if 3BB can deal with it once it's bridged, you could give them a call.

Meanwhile is your AC68 running Merlin? Upgraded firmware may address your issues.

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC68U/

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

In the end i decided to put my 3BB modem not in bridge mode and i understood that 3BB can't supply any support anymore if the modem is in bridge mode.

Instead i changed the router IP range from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.10.x mode and connected my new router via the LAN to the 3BB router with the normal IP range.

I do not see any download speed change and everything else works fine.

13 hours ago, merijn said:

In the end i decided to put my 3BB modem not in bridge mode and i understood that 3BB can't supply any support anymore if the modem is in bridge mode.

Instead i changed the router IP range from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.10.x mode and connected my new router via the LAN to the 3BB router with the normal IP range.

I do not see any download speed change and everything else works fine.

I did pretty much the same thing, although my personal wifi router came pre configured with a different IP range address from my 3BB issued one (in other words, they each had different subnets). So all I had to do was run an ethernet cable from the LAN port on the 3BB router to the WAN port on my personal router, and I have two separate and distinct wifi access points available.

Because they're on different subnets, they don't conflict with each other. I use the 2.4 GHz signal on my 3BB router, which is 2.4 GHz only, and I use the 5 GHz signal on my personal router for different purposes.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 12:27 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I did pretty much the same thing, although my personal wifi router came pre configured with a different IP range address from my 3BB issued one (in other words, they each had different subnets). So all I had to do was run an ethernet cable from the LAN port on the 3BB router to the WAN port on my personal router, and I have two separate and distinct wifi access points available.

Because they're on different subnets, they don't conflict with each other. I use the 2.4 GHz signal on my 3BB router, which is 2.4 GHz only, and I use the 5 GHz signal on my personal router for different purposes.

I disabled the 3BB router WIFI as my new router and all other network equipment is from Ubiquiti and they have standard 2.4 and 5 GHz Access Points.

Just as a side note the Ubiquiti stuff is great and all is integrated with a great connection speed. 

54 minutes ago, merijn said:

I disabled the 3BB router WIFI as my new router and all other network equipment is from Ubiquiti and they have standard 2.4 and 5 GHz Access Points.

The reason I keep the 3BB router wifi running alongside that of my own Asus AC router is to enable two simultaneous wifi data connection options at home -- one with a local Thai IP address, and the other with a foreign VPN IP address. Thus making it easy to choose between the two just via different wifi connection.

• Like 1

I have 3bb 200 Mbps Fiber line with the fiberhome GPON modem/router.  When I first arrived in Thailand, I was able to place the fiberhome modem/router in bridge mode myself.  However, they made a change and a call to their support line is now required.  They will need your account number and the name of the account holder.  About 10  to 15 minutes later, a tech will call you back to tell you it has been completed.  I have helped many others perform this recently.

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the Fiberhome LAN ports to the WAN port of the router.  I first started with an AC88U. In the WAN tab on the Asus router, set the type to be PPOE and enter the 3bb userid and password in the fields below.  I now use a PC I converted to a pfSense appliance as the i5 CPU with AES-NI feature enhances VPN performance. You can read the post on my blog site for more information  https://x3mtek.com/openvpn-performance/

I have concerns with the 3bb modem/routers. 

1. 3bb does not provide firmware updates .  There has been recent headlines about GPON router and other router vulnerabilities.  Why take a risk and go with a device that is never patched?
  2. They lack features -  On pfSense, DD-WRT, OpenWRT and Asus-Merlin, you can run OpenVPN clients and ad blocking programs.  I have also written Linux shell scripts to handle my selective routing use case. 
  3. You are not getting the Wi-Fi speeds you are paying for.  The fiberhome routers only have 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi.  So, if you are paying for 200 Mbps, you will not be able to achieve it via a 2.4 Wi-Fi connection, only thru an ethernet connection.   Most consumer routers on the market now have 5 Ghz Wi-Fi.  This will allow you to get the full speed of your connection.  But the range of 5 Ghz is not as much when compared to 2.4 Ghz. 

My recommendation is to place the 3bb fiberhome router in bridge mode, turn off the radios and dhcp.  Purchase another router with better features.

Earlier this year, Asus released the AC86U model.  It has a newer CPU that enhances OpenVPN performance. This is the model I recommend for most people.  There is a free ad blocking and malware program you can installed called AB-Solution.  Great support for the router on snbforums.com.  To get an idea of how to install Asuswrt-Merlin on an Asus router, you can see my post https://x3mtek.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware-upgrade/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The reason I keep the 3BB router wifi running alongside that of my own Asus AC router is to enable two simultaneous wifi data connection options at home -- one with a local Thai IP address, and the other with a foreign VPN IP address. Thus making it easy to choose between the two just via different wifi connection.

Some of the members on snbforums.com have written a program to super charge their routers and add the feature you are using but on one router.  The Asus router, you can create a guest network.  This can be defined to use the WAN or VPN connection.  See the thread here for more information.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/yazfi-enhanced-asuswrt-merlin-guest-wifi-networks.45924/

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 12:54 PM, Xentrk said:

Some of the members on snbforums.com have written a program to super charge their routers and add the feature you are using but on one router.  The Asus router, you can create a guest network.  This can be defined to use the WAN or VPN connection.  See the thread here for more information.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/yazfi-enhanced-asuswrt-merlin-guest-wifi-networks.45924/

Thanks for the tip about that software. Very useful and interesting, hadn't heard of it before.

Unfortunately, my ASUS AC router (RT-ACRH13 / RT-AC58U) is of the Qualcomm variety, not the Broadcom variety, and thus as best as I can tell isn't running Merlin firmware and isn't compatible with this software.

• Like 1