Video: Sickening footage as baby dies after pick-up goes the wrong way on the highway

snoop1130

22 minutes ago, mark01 said:

Just another day on Thai roads.

Unless motorist moving violations are stopped, these sorts of things will continue.

I see every day, police checkpoints fining people for no helmet on bikes, etc.

BUT..... These same police will do nothing about the crazy, illegal driving before and after the checkpoints.

because they are not interested in enforcing the law simply because there is no monetary gain in it for them, they prefer to do simple helmet licence tax stops because it is easy and they have a chance to earn - money number one - actual proactive law enforcement ..................... <deleted> is that

exactly why Thailand is number one in the world for traffic violations accidents and deaths

Put the average Thai driver on a UK road they would not be doing the stuff they do here because they know the law is enforced and they will very likely be caught and punished, been saying it many times here, ask a Thai that causes an accident if they knew they were doing wrong - they will say yes - ask them why they did it - because they can. 

PS is it law here to have a child in a car seat - yes, so why was one likely not being used - see above, because no law enforcement, same goes for phone use, drunks driving (although some improvement) and all the other moving traffic offences that cause accidents and deaths - no proactive policing/ law enforcement - the concept just doesn't exist in Thailand.  

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all boils down to his convenience.  A great majority of the accidents and bad things that happen to people here in Thailand are because everyday people get in the way of some important persons convenience.  Clearly, this driver is much more important than others and it's his convenience to drive where and whenever he wants...  welcome to the land of convenience

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

having lived here for a number of years it still astonishes me that an overwhelming percentage of Children are not safely secured in seatbelts or when younger in child seats when in cars).

If they carry babies and young kids on the back of motorbikes then they certainly aren't going to take precautions in a vehicle. As for seat belts, I take a bus where they deliberately disable the seat belts by tying them up. What kind of mentality does that? What do they gain by it?

8 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

Where do you have these numbers from?  Please post a link to proof your unbelievable statement.

https://www.bussgeldkatalog-mpu.de/bussgeld/sicherheit-im-strassenverkehr/geisterfahrer.php

It says "incidents". In most of the cases the driver realizes the error and turns around. But with 3280 fatalities on the roads of Germany and 82 million inhabitants, Germany is far better off than Thailand with its 24.000 deaths and 69 million folks.  (source WHO, ADAC, numbers from 2015)

I've had the same experience as this, but luckily it wasn't on a bend. We saw a pickup hurtling towards us in the fast lane and managed to avoid it. You take your life in your hands every single time you go on the roads in Thailand.

I live on a long straight road and in the three years I've been there, there have been at least a dozen accidents within 300 metres of my house. Three occurred right outside. People have died or lost limbs. The most recent happened just two nights ago. No injuries this time but he ended up in a ditch. He said he had to avoid someone crossing the road. This is a road where only a few people walk during the day, and there are never, ever, any at night. What happened, of course, was that he fell asleep instead of concentrating on his driving. If you concentrate you never fall asleep.

38 minutes ago, samjaidee said:

The video footage itself is not sickening. It is obviously stupid but not sickening. It's the resulting death of the baby that's sickening but that's not visible on the video.

Clickbait title.

Yes....unfortunately we didn't have the multiple angle video cameras inside the victims car to see the carnage. One camera from afar doesn't show anything really, so it's safe to assume everyone if fine.....

and the pickup driver may as well be Cambodian.

It's the "nothing bad ever happens to me" mentality. It causes a mother of five to put all of them in a scooter for a several hour trip. Don't put the baby in a baby seat because I am holding her. I don't need a helmet. I can drive 100kph less than two car lengths in back of another car. Red light doesn't mean red for me.

UP TO YOU!

and did you see at the tail end of the video..more cars coming the wrong way???  <deleted> is it with these moron drivers?...and I'm sure the standard 500 baht fine and a wai from the driver will be the punishment.........GEEEESH!

8 hours ago, smedly said:

there are many instances of Thai drivers doing this for a shortcut, going to his girlfriends would indicate to me he was familiar with the road 

It was the 24 year old witness who was going to his girlfriend's so he probably was familiar with the road but this witness was not involved in the crash. He had avoided a collision a few seconds before the crash in the video occurred. 

2 hours ago, docshock13 said:

What the ??? There is a huge median. Its not like the  grey pickup jumped it. Looks like the driver clearly thought he was driving just fine. 

What a shiftshow the roads are here. Could happen to anyone. Scary. 

I generally find the "wrong-wayers" to drive on the curb side so it does seem he thought he was going the right direction (whether this was due to drugs or alcohol would have to be determined). 

That being said, I once found myself going the wrong way against traffic: it is a well know fact that some lanes in Bangkok change direction depending on peak times and these lanes are often on the opposite side of the median. Now, these changes are indicated by signs at certain, but not all, locations where new traffic joins the road and it seems like the police assume that one will realize what's going on by observing other traffic - that's fine and dandy (is it?) unless there isn't other traffic in that lane and one joins the road after a sign indicating the change of direction. :unsure: So I turned left onto Ngamwongwan road from from Pak Kret's side at Khae Rai intersection. I was heading towards Kaset and it seemed that my lane (the middle lane I thought) was slow due to people joining from the expressway so I decided to go into the right lane (which was pretty clear in my rear view mirror) and just as I entered the right lane there was a pickup hurtling towards me. Shit! Had I change lanes a few seconds later I probably wouldn't be here today. Since I joined after the "official sign/inidcation" it would seem smart to put a sign after the Khae Rai intersection to warn people that might not be able to smell that the lane has suddenly changed direction. 

6 hours ago, Enoon said:

That appears to be instructions for knitting a poncho.

Or have I mistranslated some of it?

Google translate...

Munich (dpa) - Geisterfahrer are especially Saturday night. The ADAC evaluated the warnings broadcast by traffic and came to the conclusion: of about 2200 messages about ghost drivers in 2016 came about 300 on Fridays, 380 on Saturdays and 450 on Sundays.

The biggest increase was shown between Saturday night and early Sunday morning, the ADAC said. On the other weekdays, the warning messages totaled 250.

"It is a nightmare," explained an ADAC spokesman the figures. "This has certainly something to do with parties, discotheques, perhaps with alcohol, perhaps with drugs, perhaps with inexperience." A role played probably also the classic Sunday riders, who would otherwise rarely travel. They would not have so much driving routines and would therefore perhaps get mixed up.

The risk of getting on the wrong track was at least the highest in summer and the lowest in spring. In other years, however, that looked different, said the speaker.

There were particularly many Falschfahrer reports in North Rhine-Westphalia, followed by Bavaria and Lower Saxony. In terms of the length of the motorway network, however, the city states of Berlin, Hamburg and Bremen were the leaders. The ADAC assumes that this is due to the higher connection density of the mostly short city and feeder motorways.

In the last year, a dozen people were killed in ghostly accidents, the Autoclub reported, referring to the official accident statistics. A total of 3214 people were killed in traffic accidents, of which 393 were on motorways.

you lot on here are always to quick to blame the driver, self righteous lot, i bet there was no road sign to say that it was a dual carriagway.  when he came out of that soi. so naturally he turned right,  and yes i did it in germany many years ago, on a snowy night the arrow on the road was covered in snow, but i knew my mistake  within a few feet.

26 minutes ago, SABloke said:

I generally find the "wrong-wayers" to drive on the curb side so it does seem he thought he was going the right direction (whether this was due to drugs or alcohol would have to be determined). 

That being said, I once found myself going the wrong way against traffic: it is a well know fact that some lanes in Bangkok change direction depending on peak times and these lanes are often on the opposite side of the median. Now, these changes are indicated by signs at certain, but not all, locations where new traffic joins the road and it seems like the police assume that one will realize what's going on by observing other traffic - that's fine and dandy (is it?) unless there isn't other traffic in that lane and one joins the road after a sign indicating the change of direction. :unsure: So I turned left onto Ngamwongwan road from from Pak Kret's side at Khae Rai intersection. I was heading towards Kaset and it seemed that my lane (the middle lane I thought) was slow due to people joining from the expressway so I decided to go into the right lane (which was pretty clear in my rear view mirror) and just as I entered the right lane there was a pickup hurtling towards me. Shit! Had I change lanes a few seconds later I probably wouldn't be here today. Since I joined after the "official sign/inidcation" it would seem smart to put a sign after the Khae Rai intersection to warn people that might not be able to smell that the lane has suddenly changed direction. 

I also accidentally drove in the wrong direction once. 

They were building a new road near my house, and every week they kept changing the directions on the road. Poor signage.

I saw 2 accidents over 4 month period. Just what i saw! I gotta assume i missed 10x ??!!

11 minutes ago, Thaimike370 said:

He is likely to face charges? Likely, it should be an absolute certainty he will be charged and he is obviously guilty.

What of there was no signs and stuff, maybe he is innocent. Judge not, thou shall be judged first.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He is likely to face a charge of negligent driving causing death.

Negligent driving?

How about first degree murder with intent?

According to the original Facebook site who published this, the guy had a dispute with his wife and went on a drive with the intent to kill himself.

11 hours ago, manarak said:

one more mentally retarded driver...

why are there so many incidents of astounding stupidity in Thailand?

but to put things in perspective, the German ADAC reported about 2200 incidents of the same type in 2016 in Germany.

Indeed. Over here I've found it's quite rare - driving on the wrong side of the dual lane road. Happens very rarely in the UK, but it does happen.

Whereas in Germany it is a big problem, especially on motorways. I lived there in 79-82 in Munich, and often travelled there since, it's so common they even have a name - they call them Geisterfahrer or Ghost Drivers. Listening to local radio at night, it was more than a once a week occurrence.

5 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

No excuse,  jail for life,  no pardon ever.

Like all drivers in Thailand , he knew exactly what he was doing, as they all do. :bah:

Now he will try and lie his way out of it,  as many do :bah:

You sure know everything.

What if there was a construction area nearby that confused him into the wrong way?

It happened every day when they were constructing the third ring road near my house in chiang mai.

I mean, it looks like he should have realised it, but we cant be sure until we hear his side of the story and verify it or reject it. That's why there is due process to avoid mob mentality spread by ignorant people like you.

12 hours ago, trogers said:

Probably just returned from a long stay overseas.

Germany?

That can happen. Depending on where he entered the highway also. We know a lot of roads are not marked adequately. I friend of mine died in Australia returning from six months in America and looked the wrong way crossing a road on foot. But that is pretty outrageous to be on the totally wrong side of the highway although he appears to have slowed a tiny bit on seeing the motorbike. 

I think that the guy in the silver pickup would be better confined in a solitary prison cell.
Reading the Facebook remarks on different Facebook pages, people are waiting to see this guy to beat the life out of him.
I am afraid that no police corps will be able to hold the people back when lynching this guy.

3 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I think that the guy in the silver pickup would be better confined in a solitary prison cell.
Reading the Facebook remarks on different Facebook pages, people are waiting to see this guy to beat the life out of him.
I am afraid that no police corps will be able to hold the people back when lynching this guy.

Where's the lynchmob waiting for red bull guy? Oh wait, thai people love to kick down and lick up. 

Archived