Video: Sickening footage as baby dies after pick-up goes the wrong way on the highway

snoop1130

I have been driving in thailand for 5 years and some of the things ive seen have blown my mind. I hold a uk driving license but for a laugh i took my driving test here in thailand. OMG the test here is joke. The whole process is just a ridiculous example of how to test a persons competence in driving. I have seen some unbelievable things on the roads here. I once saw a lady driving a scooter the wrong way down a highway with 2 small children with her. Not 1 person wearing a helmet and the mother was riding one handed whilst using the telephone. My mind boggles.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, smedly said:

there are many instances of Thai drivers doing this for a shortcut, going to his girlfriends would indicate to me he was familiar with the road 

how tragic

Really in the outside lane ? I could imagine if he was driving the wrong way on the hard shoulder, or what there is of it.

But are you saying its normal to drive in the outside lane then cut across the traffic both lanes ?

7 hours ago, Enoon said:

That appears to be instructions for knitting a poncho.

Or have I mistranslated some of it?

393 Dead on the highways in 2016 in whole of Germany  , the Thais managed so many over the 5 day Public Holidays and consider that on 90 % of the Autobahn  there is no speed limit 

7 minutes ago, choff56 said:

I guess,  let them eat, "Flesh Metal and Glass", is the Thai authorities answer to the daily carnage on Thai roads. A disgraceful ineptitude by the Kingdom of Thailand.

it's hard to figure what this nut job was doing only he can answer that but one thing is for sure - yet another fatality on Thailands roads 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

because they are not interested in enforcing the law simply because there is no monetary gain in it for them, they prefer to do simple helmet licence tax stops because it is easy and they have a chance to earn - money number one - actual proactive law enforcement ..................... <deleted> is that

exactly why Thailand is number one in the world for traffic violations accidents and deaths

Put the average Thai driver on a UK road they would not be doing the stuff they do here because they know the law is enforced and they will very likely be caught and punished, been saying it many times here, ask a Thai that causes an accident if they knew they were doing wrong - they will say yes - ask them why they did it - because they can. 

PS is it law here to have a child in a car seat - yes, so why was one likely not being used - see above, because no law enforcement, same goes for phone use, drunks driving (although some improvement) and all the other moving traffic offences that cause accidents and deaths - no proactive policing/ law enforcement - the concept just doesn't exist in Thailand.  

Agree completely. And to add to this, the police don't want people to comply with the law. If the vast majority complied then there would be no money in it for the police. They want people to continue breaking the law so that they can collect the 'fines'. Plus, sitting at a roadblock a couple of times a month is far easier than pursuing moving traffic offences, hence they do just that. Thais love the path of least resistance (effort). Sadly the carnage will continue. I just have to hope I'm not a victim one day.

RIP the Baby, the innocent always seem to die first.

Been here ten years and in that time things have only got worse despite all the Bullshit spouted by a succession of Ministerial Misfits.   Don't expect changes for the better soon as it will just continue to get worse with more vehicles on the road each year.

8 hours ago, manarak said:

Yeah...ahm...that is absolutely NOT the same!

Not one of these 2.200 drivers were taking a U-turn into oncoming traffic, no baby was killed...

There is a slight difference between loosing directions on a drive- up to an Autobahn (which sometimes are a bit confusing) and just making a braindead u-turn on a Thai- road!

But it's okay: I was waiting for the "it doesn't happen only in Thailand" for way too long!

10 minutes ago, choff56 said:

I guess,  let them eat, "Flesh Metal and Glass", is the Thai authorities answer to the daily carnage on Thai roads. A disgraceful ineptitude by the Kingdom of Thailand.

They just don't know how to deal with it and yet the answer is very simple - enforce the law proactively

Imagine the UK roads without law enforcement.................it would be exactly the same as Thailand - carnage

- Drive at whatever speed you like where you like

- Drink all you want get in and drive

- use phone - watch TV etc while driving

- drive the wrong way on any roads

- ignore red lights

- ignore road signs

- ignore bald defective tyres, it costs money

- who needs brakes and general maintenance, who cares it costs money 

sound familiar ?

3 hours ago, anto said:

So it was a suicide attempt ? ...and not just an old or very drunk person .Case closed .

Nah not suicide, drunk, or on drugs.

He was just racing to the next left hand turn, as he could not be bothered to

drive down the road and do a U turn.

Most of the time you see them do this on the hard shoulder,  but i have seen them do it in all lanes.

Any other country i would say maybe a genuine mistake with a tragic out come.

But as it was in Thailand No. 

He needs to go to jail.

53 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

you lot on here are always to quick to blame the driver, self righteous lot, i bet there was no road sign to say that it was a dual carriagway.  when he came out of that soi. so naturally he turned right,  and yes i did it in germany many years ago, on a snowy night the arrow on the road was covered in snow, but i knew my mistake  within a few feet.

OK, so please tell me who's fault it is? The highways agency for not posting a sign? Or, was the driver's fault for not seeing the arrows in the road pointing toward him (near the Thai flag) or the lack of yellow lines in the center of the road indicating a two-way street. Or were they covered with snow? The difference is you noticed your mistake. He didn't. 

I have had this nearly happen to me when going southbound on Hwy 44 near Plai Praya ( Surat Thani ) 

Palm oil trucks and locals often decide that its amuch quicker short cut  to go against 2 lanes of traffic. Except for entering and leaving , when its REALLY dangerous , they usually stay on the shoulder.

But one day I came over a crest and a large truck was coming at me in the FAST LANE. Luckily he was going uphill and slow.

I just swerved in time ...

Makes you so angry ...

Another stupid avoidable accident...

I don't know if this has been pointed out (I've not read the full thread), but if the driver on the correct carriageway had been driving in the left-hand lane on the clear road, he would have avoided the collision...just an observation.

Typical Thai mentality, driving on the wrong side because only a short distance so why go to the other side of road drive and then a U turn, we see it all

the time, these people are too lazy to do it the correct way. Police does absolutely nothing. The driver will get 500 bhat fine 

2 hours ago, Toshiba66 said:

I would. And I do. And I will continue to do. That's the way I was bought up. To help others in need.

Blow that.  Little you could do except get blamed for the accident and fleeced out of a ton of cash.  Crime:  Round eyes and a big nose.

17 hours ago, manarak said:

one more mentally retarded driver...

why are there so many incidents of astounding stupidity in Thailand?

but to put things in perspective, the German ADAC reported about 2200 incidents of the same type in 2016 in Germany.

Solly sir but i don't believe that. In Germany i have never ever seen a car driving against traffic. It might happen very occasionaly but 2200 times a year i can't believe.

Also i wonder why that truckdriver didn't stop...in Germany it's an offence to not help people in need after an accident.

Where the F#$@^%%$#ck are the police in this country, busy handing out parking tickets and conducting road blocks checking licences. When is this government going to wake up and get the police off their arse and start doing their job. Every time I go out in the car it is a nightmare to drive on Thai roads. Yesterday watched two kids (students) on motorbikes drag racing on a main 4 lane highway, passed me sitting on 90ks weaving in and out of traffic, no helmets, shorts, tee shirt and flip flops and more than likely no licence or rego. So many close calls with idiots on bikes and pick ups. I pray to God every time I go out, please don't let me hit one of the idiots. It is like driving in a war zone here, when will it end.!

There is a simple way to at least try to solve this;  education from an early age at school, show a variation of this video every day,  there are many available.  Might as well teach them something.

Start now there might, just might be signs of improvement in about ten years time.

Sad story.  RIP.  I thought at first, it might have been a westerner (US or Can) driving by mistake (same side as home) on the wrong side.  It happens (years of ingrained driving experience)....but nope, just a local driving the wrong way on the highway.  Happens all day, every day, with motorbikes too....  

4 hours ago, Toshiba66 said:

I would. And I do. And I will continue to do. That's the way I was bought up. To help others in need.

And I was brought up to respect the laws of the road, and be aware of my surroundings when driving, yet your previous post seems to be making excuses for this thick, unaware, inconsiderate piece of shit.

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

you lot on here are always to quick to blame the driver, self righteous lot, i bet there was no road sign to say that it was a dual carriagway.  when he came out of that soi. so naturally he turned right,  and yes i did it in germany many years ago, on a snowy night the arrow on the road was covered in snow, but i knew my mistake  within a few feet.

The arrow painted on the road is clearly visible in the video in the lane of the offending vehicle and it is pointing against the vehicle's direction of travel. Road markings are also considered to be signs so this is not about being self righteous at all. The driver would have a much better view of the road markings as he was approaching them on a clear road. 

2 hours ago, helloagain said:

If you read the story again it was a thai man driving you muppet. Can blame the germans fir two wars that they lost but not fir this 5555tt

The first part of the video looks like a vehicle speeding on a highway in the US or the Autobahn...

22 minutes ago, Lampang2 said:

none of them does anything to avoid the accident

The common denominator for Thailand, the inability to react fast.

It was plenty of time to avoid that one.

Perhaps they both thought they had the right amulet.

Archived