Video: Sickening footage as baby dies after pick-up goes the wrong way on the highway

snoop1130

57 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

The arrow painted on the road is clearly visible in the video in the lane of the offending vehicle and it is pointing against the vehicle's direction of travel. Road markings are also considered to be signs so this is not about being self righteous at all. The driver would have a much better view of the road markings as he was approaching them on a clear road. 

The arrow was at the point of impact. It was all over if and when the driver saw that arrow at all.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

The arrow was at the point of impact. It was all over if and when the driver saw that arrow at all.

True, but had the driver been looking 50-100 yards beyond the front of his bonnet (as he should have been) he would've seen it.

13 hours ago, smedly said:

there are many instances of Thai drivers doing this for a shortcut, going to his girlfriends would indicate to me he was familiar with the road 

how tragic

Go back to the OPs post & read it again before you start punching the key board

Witness Phataraphon, 24, said he was going to his girlfriend's house

The Witness was on his wait to the girl friends house, not the driver of the grey pickup 

3 hours ago, Cranky said:

There is a simple way to at least try to solve this;  education from an early age at school, show a variation of this video every day,  there are many available.  Might as well teach them something.

Start now there might, just might be signs of improvement in about ten years time.

education is nothing to do with it, if you have no law enforcement people will break the law, it is human nature to get away with as much as possible - in Thailand there is literally nothing stopping them - no law enforcement.

16 hours ago, manarak said:

one more mentally retarded driver...

why are there so many incidents of astounding stupidity in Thailand?

but to put things in perspective, the German ADAC reported about 2200 incidents of the same type in 2016 in Germany.

This needs a bit further clarification. 2200 is the number of reported incidents of driving the wrong direction, it does not say how many of those actually caused an accident. It does say that a total of 12 persons died due to accidents caused by driving the wrong direction in 2016.

What is quite interesting is another fact: " Insgesamt starben bei Unfällen im Straßenverkehr 3214 Menschen, davon 393 auf Autobahnen." = In total, 3214 persons died due to traffic accidents, 393 of those on highways.

393 deaths in one year on the high ways in Germany, some of which (NOT ALL, most have a limit at around 120 km/h) have no speed limit. That is  not too bad.

1 hour ago, BernieOnTour said:

... just to be fair:

This kind of "ghost-driving" is not a Thailand-only problem. It's also happening on Europe's highways.

Good point .When i lived in Germany you would regularly hear on traffic reports on the car radio  '' actung ,actung ,Geist fahrer auf der E20 or which ever road !! '' ( Ghost driver on the Autobahn ,such a number )  

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It appears that the 'complete and total utter moronic, brainless fool' pulled out of a side street and turned right, the wrong way onto a dual carriageway thinking it was simply a normal road and not knowing it was divided carriageway and they needed to U-Turn before heading in the correct direction on the correct side of the divide. 

Tragic consequences resulted from what is ultimately pure dumbness.

*Additionally and even more tragically so, perhaps the infant may have survived had they been secured 'rear facing' in an infant car seat

(*someone is going to pick up on the fact that I don't know this, they will be correct, but having lived here for a number of years it still astonishes me that an overwhelming percentage of Children are not safely secured in seatbelts or when younger in child seats when in cars).

If the guy was drunk, please tell us which adjective you'd use?

Also, why not have another anti Thai  statement like about the baby seat?

Did your parents put you in a baby seat in the car? Thailand is a developing country, year behind many of our countries in many areas. Some people can't afford a car let alone a baby seat -  should they be banned from having a car?

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It appears that the 'complete and total utter moronic, brainless fool' pulled out of a side street and turned right, the wrong way onto a dual carriageway thinking it was simply a normal road and not knowing it was divided carriageway and they needed to U-Turn before heading in the correct direction on the correct side of the divide. 

Tragic consequences resulted from what is ultimately pure dumbness.

*Additionally and even more tragically so, perhaps the infant may have survived had they been secured 'rear facing' in an infant car seat

(*someone is going to pick up on the fact that I don't know this, they will be correct, but having lived here for a number of years it still astonishes me that an overwhelming percentage of Children are not safely secured in seatbelts or when younger in child seats when in cars).

Well, you might be right about the grey pickup turning on to that road. However, the driver would have known he was driving the wrong seeing traffic on the far left. Nope, I think the driver just blatantly disregarded the traffic law...end of story. Rather than drive to the next U-turn and the central reservation is concave earth you'll see pickups bounce their way across. The injury and death he caused is so sad and sickening.

This is hardly news. The roads are full of mindless idiots and avoidable accidents. For me the most sickening thing about this story is this:

'A Thai man was driving and not a Burmese national as was rumored on social media, police confirmed.'

Surprised nobody else has picked up on this. How utterly disgusting is a country's culture when the first reaction is to blame a foreigner?

Probably just returned from a long stay overseas.

Germany?

I got the sarcasm well done i found it amusing:clap2:

But sad story but that's Darwinism at work sadly sometimes good people suffer

On 9/6/2017 at 3:10 PM, trogers said:

Probably just returned from a long stay overseas.

Germany?

So not he usual "unfamiliar" with the road, or brakes failed then, and nothing to do with Thai driving. Please dont stop defending / apologizing.

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

more likely he knew it was dual carriageway, wanted to turn right into the

far lanes, but was prevented by the median strip......he should have turned

left, driven to the next U-turn, but too inconvenient.....so drove the wrong

way "just a little ways" to the next crossover to the right.

no big deal i guess, as i often see the police riding

their motorbikes in bangkapi the wrong way down

the main roads....

9 hours ago, smedly said:

education is nothing to do with it, if you have no law enforcement people will break the law, it is human nature to get away with as much as possible - in Thailand there is literally nothing stopping them - no law enforcement.

I disagree.  Law abiding, educated people do not knowingly drive the wrong way, as they know there's a chance that someone may die or be seriously injured.  Only the uneducated and LAWLESS educated people do what you suggest.

3 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

(A) more likely he knew it was dual carriageway, wanted to turn right into the

far lanes, but was prevented by the median strip......he should have turned

left, driven to the next U-turn, but too inconvenient.....so drove the wrong

way "just a little ways" to the next crossover to the right.

I THINK THAT THIS IS THE REAL REASON FOR THIS TRAGIC ACCIDENT BECAUSE IT IS VERY COMMON IN THIS COUNTRY. IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME TOO, EVEN ON HIGHWAYS... THOSE DRIVERS MOVE TO, WHAT IS FOR ME THE FAST LINE, TURN ON THEIR BLINKERS AND WANT YOU TO GET OUT OF THE WAY.

(B) no big deal i guess, as i often see the police riding

their motorbikes in bangkapi the wrong way down

the main roads....

THE POLICE DO IT TOO.

On 9/6/2017 at 10:28 PM, DavisH said:

Drunk or drugged would be my guess. Waiting for the tox screen. It's a sad day for the victims. If only police would enforce road laws and Thais not waving off their lawlessness as "our way of life" - just quoting one guy who got upset at being told he couldn't ride in the back of a pickup. And how long did that last?

They certainly do not have to be drunk or drugged to drive like that here, going the wrong way is normal  for far too many road users. Agree with the rest of your post and would also add education, education and education.

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

They certainly do not have to be drunk or drugged to drive like that here, going the wrong way is normal  for far too many road users. Agree with the rest of your post and would also add education, education and education.

It is reported he had a big argument with his family before the accident....but why drive on the wrong side of a divided road? He was a local so knew the road well. He wasn't accidentally on the wrong side of the road. 

51 minutes ago, DavisH said:

It is reported he had a big argument with his family before the accident....but why drive on the wrong side of a divided road? He was a local so knew the road well. He wasn't accidentally on the wrong side of the road. 

If my in-laws are anything to go by they think accidents can't happen locally. As they NEVER travel any distance (unless they're in my car, with their seatbelts on) this equates to accidents can never happen to them, hence ok to travel on their motosy with no registration, brakes, mirrors, indicators etc. on the wrong side of the road, without stopping or looking at junctions etc. etc.

When I pointed out that all of the accidents that they've been involved in (including one where two people died) were all along the stretch of rural road where our homes are it still didn't sink in. Another one had an accident recently, getting away with a nastily scraped face. Mrs. BM wasn't too happy with my smug, couldn't give a toss look as I told him "no helmet!", even though I did resist the temptation to say "som nam na"!

On 9/7/2017 at 1:28 PM, Lampang2 said:

none of them does anything to avoid the accident

The common denominator for Thailand, the inability to react fast.

It was plenty of time to avoid that one.

To lose a game of chicken, would be a HUGE loss of face. Everything else is secondary.

Archived