North Korea pledges 'powerful counter measures' against U.S.-backed sanctions

snoop1130

North Korea pledges 'powerful counter measures' against U.S.-backed sanctions

2017-09-07T091952Z_1_LYNXNPED860OD_RTROPTP_3_GLOBAL-MARKETS-NORTHKOREA.JPG

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un waves to people attending a military parade marking the 105th birth anniversary of country's founding father, Kim Il Sung in Pyongyang, April 15, 2017. REUTERS/Damir Sagolj/Files

VLADIVOSTOK, Russia (Reuters) - North Korea on Thursday pledged to take "powerful counter measures" to respond to U.S. pressure or any new sanctions against it over its missile programme, accusing Washington of wanting war.

Pyongyang's pledge, made in a statement by its delegation to an economic forum in Russia's Far East, came after the United States said it wanted the U.N. Security Council to impose an oil embargo on North Korea, ban the country's exports of textiles and the hiring of North Korean labourers abroad, and subject leader Kim Jong Un to an asset freeze and travel ban, according to a draft resolution seen by Reuters on Wednesday.

"We will respond to the barbaric plotting around sanctions and pressure by the United States with powerful counter measures of our own," the statement read.

The same statement also accused South Korea and Japan of using the Russian forum to play "dirty politics," saying the event was meant to be about discussing economic cooperation in the region and not about criticising its missile programme.

Russian President Vladimir Putin told the same forum on Thursday he thought the North Korea crisis would not escalate into a large-scale conflict involving nuclear weapons, predicting that common sense would prevail.

(Reporting by Katya Golubkova; Writing by Andrew Osborn; Editing by Gabrielle Tétrault-Farber)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-9-7

4 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

I wonder, what his 

'powerful counter measures'

would be - another H-bomb? 

a missile attack?

to TV - why can't i make the font smaller?

Russia supports Nth Korea, possibly helped with its nuclear technology and is still trading with uncle Kim.

For sure, some country assisted in a fast track to intercontinental missiles and how to make a nuclear warheads

to fit on said ICBM. Only a few countries have this advanced technology. China and Russia spring to mind but

there are other suspects too. Russia and China are Nth Korean main importers and suppliers. They both prop

up uncle Kims regime. 

There will be more nuke testing by Nth Korea for sure. More missiles fired. It means little, it is bluster. 

But I do not believe Nth Korea will attack anyone. They have not attacked anyone since the armistice

in 1953. In that time frame, how many countries has US attacked? (and been defeated)

Sorry, 2 big wins, Grenada and Panama.

13 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

Russia supports Nth Korea, possibly helped with its nuclear technology and is still trading with uncle Kim.

For sure, some country assisted in a fast track to intercontinental missiles and how to make a nuclear warheads

to fit on said ICBM. Only a few countries have this advanced technology. China and Russia spring to mind but

there are other suspects too. Russia and China are Nth Korean main importers and suppliers. They both prop

up uncle Kims regime. 

There will be more nuke testing by Nth Korea for sure. More missiles fired. It means little, it is bluster. 

But I do not believe Nth Korea will attack anyone. They have not attacked anyone since the armistice

in 1953. In that time frame, how many countries has US attacked? (and been defeated)

Sorry, 2 big wins, Grenada and Panama.

Don't forget the other country that are partners with North Korea which must make America's biggest ally very nervous

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Nuclear-inspiration-Has-North-Korea-emboldened-Iran-504258

15 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Really?  Apart from nuclear weapons what does he have?

To export?

Mineral fuels including oil: US$1.2 billion (43% of total exports)

Clothing, accessories (not knit or crochet): $500 million (17.5%)

Ores, slag, ash: $226.7 million (7.9%)

Fish: $196.3 million (6.9%)

Knit or crochet clothing, accessories: $94 million (3.3%)

Electrical machinery, equipment: $69.9 million (2.4%)

Iron, steel: $60.9 million (2.1%)

Fruits, nuts: $51 million (1.8%)

Machinery including computers: $45.2 million (1.6%)

Zinc: $41.1 million (1.4%)

I suspect everyone (me included) is getting a bit carried away with reality.

Nth Korea has constantly stated that it will try to counter a pre emptive strike.

They have proved that it is not all talk. Not all posturing.

Time for Nth Korea, China, Russia, US and all the other countries that followed

MacArthur into a futile war that cost so many lives. 

But lives are cheap in 

2 hours ago, midas said:

Why Did North Korea Just Threaten Israel?

During the 1980s, North Korea shifted away from direct military opposition to Israel in favor of arms and military technology sales to Israel’s enemies in the Middle East. The DPRK exported missiles to Iran, Syria, and Libya and assisted both Syria and Iran in their attempts to develop nuclear weapon capabilities.

http://thediplomat.com/2017/05/why-did-north-korea-just-threaten-israel/

And very likely furnishing the 'Nerve agents' and 'biological warfare agents' those nations..............

He needs income badly........

I may be mistaken but I thought that The USA (and others) had missiles that could 'shoot down' other missiles................. Why aren't they being put in place to shoot down any further tests of NK missiles.........

Show Kim that he won't get a missile off his soil...... Such as ships in Japanese waters........

Maybe it is in the works as we speak...........

2 hours ago, midas said:

oh it's relevant alright! North Korea is just as much of an enemy of Israel as Iran is.

And North Korea and Iranian nuclear scientists have been working closely together

Why Did North Korea Just Threaten Israel?

http://thediplomat.com/2017/05/why-did-north-korea-just-threaten-israel/

I suspect that if the "state" of Israel went back to its original border, granted compensation and restitution

for illegal lands that displaced so many Palestinian landholders, the issues would be moot.

The Nth Korean issue is a point in context. Threaten, amass military might against a people that have just as much right to exist as the aggressors.... Well it results in misery. And those seeking justice and revenge.

11 hours ago, Thechook said:

Chemical weapons that were provided to Syria, among others. Counterfeit currencies, including Thai Baht. Fake drugs. Narcotics. Human trafficking. Conventional weapons. Etc.

Lovely country. Amazing some actually support them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea's_illicit_activities

8 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

I may be mistaken but I thought that The USA (and others) had missiles that could 'shoot down' other missiles................. Why aren't they being put in place to shoot down any further tests of NK missiles.........

Show Kim that he won't get a missile off his soil...... Such as ships in Japanese waters........

Maybe it is in the works as we speak...........

It's not proven technology yet. It may, or may not, shoot down the missiles. Plus, Kim has a bunch.

11 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I think what he is saying is NK will sell nuclear bombs to American enemies. The guy has to make up for those sanctions some how. He needs money to run a country and make missiles.

So impose a quarantine.  I don't give China a lot of credit for help in all this, and I'm probably being naïve, but while they might look the other way and allow other sanction-violating goods across, I don't think they'd allow N. Korea to export its nuclear technology across their borders.  And a quarantine at sea would foreclose the maritime option for exporting nuclear materials (as well as everything else).  It's not that big a country and not that many ports - a quarantine shouldn't be that hard to impose, except for the scofflaws not abiding by the international sanctions who probably won't appreciate having their vessels impounded if they refuse to turn around.

I know I know.  Fatboy isn't going to like it.  Boo-hoo.

On 07/09/2017 at 0:40 PM, Thechook said:

A fanatical full time army over a million strong .. He also has an awful lot of conventional weaponry as in artillery pieces , rocket launchers , tanks etc and while a lot of it is fairly old low tech kit he has enough of it to inflict a lot of death and destruction on Seoul which is exactly what he will do if the U S go proactive .. That is the conundrum of all of this .. if the U S decide to pre-empt it they have to destroy everything that he can use against S K , Japan and the U S forces stationed in the region in one simultaneous attack because if he is left with anything he will go for it and military analysts will say the chances of such an attack being successful are very slim .. And he's smart enough to know not to start it off himself .. so for as long as it remains missile and underground bomb testing there is not a lot the U S can do other than push for more sanctions .. 

15 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

It's not proven technology yet. It may, or may not, shoot down the missiles. Plus, Kim has a bunch.

The most effective anti-missile systems the US has are the kind that protect a small area like an army or air force base. But the effectiveness of anti missile systems that have to protect a large area like, say, the West Coast of the USA, is a lot more dubious.

12 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

A fanatical full time army over a million strong .. He also has an awful lot of conventional weaponry as in artillery pieces , rocket launchers , tanks etc and while a lot of it is fairly old low tech kit he has enough of it to inflict a lot of death and destruction on Seoul which is exactly what he will do if the U S go proactive .. That is the conundrum of all of this .. if the U S decide to pre-empt it they have to destroy everything that he can use against S K , Japan and the U S forces stationed in the region in one simultaneous attack because if he is left with anything he will go for it and military analysts will say the chances of such an attack being successful are very slim .. And he's smart enough to know not to start it off himself .. so for as long as it remains missile and underground bomb testing there is not a lot the U S can do other than push for more sanctions .. 

Are you thinking he will attack South Korea because of sanctions?

That would mean him doing the first strike. And all his strategy is gone.

He knows what then follows.

It seems sanctions are getting a grip on him

2 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Are you thinking he will attack South Korea because of sanctions?

That would mean him doing the first strike. And all his strategy is gone.

He knows what then follows.

It seems sanctions are getting a grip on him

No Sir I'm not thinking U S will initiate an attack on N K .. Just about every military analyst thinks that won't happen and S K thereselves are pretty nrevous about such an event , Kim is also clever enough not to start any conflict himself .. So the only route open is either start talking to Kim or continue trying to strangle N K with more sanctions .. I don't see Trump entering into talks at the moment and likewise I don't see Kim offering the hand of friendship so more sanctions it will be .. 

1 hour ago, 212Roger said:

The United States has more advanced technology than you can imagine.  And a President that will use it, if necessary.  I live on Guam; no worries...

Roger, are most locals on Guam concerned about possibly being targetted by Kim for a missile test? Interested to hear about the feeling on the ground - as opposed to from commenters that have no idea where Guam even is. Thanks.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:52 AM, ilostmypassword said:

The most effective anti-missile systems the US has are the kind that protect a small area like an army or air force base. But the effectiveness of anti missile systems that have to protect a large area like, say, the West Coast of the USA, is a lot more dubious.

Neither THAAD nor BMD are "area-defense" weapons like the Patriot anti-missile system.  They are anti ballistic missile systems, and their effectiveness has improved dramatically. Their limitation at this point is not so much that their effectiveness is "dubious", it's instead that they're simply limited in number and can't defend against a "swarm", i.e., any large number, of ICBMs such as China would be capable of launching.  Against the few missiles that Kim could possibly launch anytime soon, they could be decisive, which is why Kim is outraged.  In his delusional fog, he no doubt entertained the fantasy of being able to launch a conventional attack on the south and then nuke Guam if/when the U.S. started trying to send in the inevitable reinforcements and air support.  That was his version of "nuclear deterrence". 

Well, unless the U.S. is willing to launch a pre-emptive attack (or even if it is), Kim's massive artillery array is going to kill millions in the most densely and heavily populated capital in the world, Seoul, before anything can be done about it, nuclear or otherwise.  His overwhelming superiority in manpower will also inevitably penetrate well into the south before any sustainable containment can be established and the obsolescence and logistics of his own forces finally bring them shuddering to a halt.  He'll be taken down in the end, but you can bet he'll succeed in taking a huge segment of the Korean population (both North and South) with him, and millions more if he lights off any nukes.  And that doesn't include the physical destruction.   I don't know which way the prevailing winds blow in Korea, but I don't imagine China wants to see this thing getting nuclear no matter what.

All this, of course, unless some timely "accident" should befall said whacko nutjob psycho before this madness proceeds much further...

Thank-you, boy statesman, for getting us here.

On 9/12/2017 at 11:28 AM, FreddieRoyle said:

Roger, are most locals on Guam concerned about possibly being targetted by Kim for a missile test? Interested to hear about the feeling on the ground - as opposed to from commenters that have no idea where Guam even is. Thanks.

Nearly everyone on the island feels safe.  There was a poll a couple of days ago in the local newspaper that stated that people feel the local government is doing an outstanding job informing people...  Guam's security status has not been raised.  People are happy with the governor's trip to Washington and the publicity Guam received as the result.  However, tourism was down 7,000 visitors in August 2017 vs. an all-time high in August 2016.  This due exclusively to cancelled tours by the Japanese.  By the way, Koreans have surpassed the Japanese  as the #1 tourists to Guam. 

Archived