Beer pricing in bars

Ridge

I have often driven past and seen the grey hair Gentlemen sitting around the table.

Good for them they are not hurting anyone, perhaps they are trying to solve the world problems.

I don't think its about saving money but as another poster said they don't have to sit in the bars and put up with some woman trying to extract money for her sick buffalo. 

I might call in one day.

On 9/10/2017 at 8:42 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

That's why God created Wetherspoons. Some of us marvel at a decision to emigrate 6000 miles and sit on a concrete bench at a roadside inhaling dust and diesel fumes along with a roll-up.

Welcome to Wetherspoon's... the licensed corner of God's waiting room.

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

It's a bargain to pay bar prices over staying home with a beer and trying to have an intelligent conversation that's not possible.

Well, when I'm at home I can have a conversation with my wife, quite a few of us had a choice when we got married and some wives are not from farms and didn't leave school at 12 years of age.

I try to not have a conversation with the dogs unless it's telling them what to do and when.

:smile:

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Welcome to Wetherspoon's... the licensed corner of God's waiting room.

The interesting thing about the Wetherspoons that I frequent when I'm in Southampton is that its clientele is a great mixture of ages, sexes and classes. It does have its coterie of shabby regulars, by lunchtime already half-pissed and talking too loudly, but they don't really bother anybody else, and they are a minority amongst a very diverse bunch of customers.

I confess to being a great fan of Wetherspoons. They have a great variety of real beers at reasonable prices, the cheapest of which was Ruddles (excellent) at £1.99 a pint, and plenty of alternative yellow fizzy stuff for the people who don't like real beer. Their pub food is pretty good - not haute cuisine, but for the price as good as you'll get anywhere. And they don't have blaring juke-boxes or piped music, so I can sit and read The Times in peace. *

I wish there was one in Banchang. The Camel's ok, but it's not the same - and any time I'm in there I would say that most of the clientele are a lot closer to meeting their Maker than the drinkers/lunchers in The Standing Order, High Street, Southampton. 

Edit:- * Oh, and their breakfast fry-ups are also very good.

^Yep. The Wetherspoons model has been done pretty successfully in Pattaya, with Retox, Robin Hoods, and probably a few more trying the formula.

Banchang is a bit behind the curve, but I imagine there could be a few places stepping into this niche. Probably not on the "Strip" though, with the rents / leases as they are, right now.

Archived