Soi Dog Foundation expands canine sterilisation, vaccination programme

webfact

There is dispute as to the efficacy of these programs; see my post #8.

And no, it will not solve the problem entirely. In order to do that you would need the three components of catch/neuter/release, control of food supply (garbage), and public education to work both hand-in-hand and with great efficiency. I have my doubts as to the efficacy of components two and three here on the island.

However, I do recall visiting the island twenty or even ten years ago and being too afraid to enter into a 7-11 as there were packs of wild dogs at/near the doors. Things have changed, and they have changed for the better. It is anecdotal evidence and not a scientific survey, but the plural of 'anecdote' is data, and the data I and others see is an improvement. 

The program will need to be repeated on a regular basis to keep the numbers down; the goal should be managing the problem rather than trying (unsuccessfully) to solve it completely.

I like these programs, and not doing them would be a case of "the perfect being the enemy of the good".

Cheers

15 hours ago, TheLobster said:

First of all 'every person I have talked to' means that you have no personal experience. I too 'have heard' many stories about this business, most of the stories saying they have refused to take in cats and dogs. <deleted> it is supposed to be a dog and cat rescue centre.

'Who has some basic knowledge' implies that I'm stupid. Far from it.

My personal experience is this: A stray bitch delivered 11 puppies near our house which was close to a main road. The house was rented so we couldn't keep them. I rang the Dog & Cat Rescue Centre and they said they couldn't help but their Vet would be able to come round 4 days later. We paid a Thai guy to take the bitch and the puppies to a temple where they had a better chance of surviving. 4 days later these <deleted> from the rescue place rang me to say maybe they could help and were offensive when I said it was too late.

I implore everyone that reads this post not to give single Thai Baht to this business. 

'And as for Mr Sucker being a liar, offer some concrete evidence or shut the hell up. Your post was very offensive.' There are stray dogs everywhere on Samui and they don't have any ID so no-one can really claim that there is 100% vaccination of dogs on their street. Your post is naive. 

And yours is a bit pedantic, patronising, (and like the first - offensive)

They said their vet would come round 4 days later, and "4 days later these <deleted> from the rescue place rang me to say maybe they could help and were offensive when I said it was too late."

Firstly, there is no need for the offensive language. If your manner on the phone is anything like the tone of your posts, I am not surprised in the slightest at the reaction you got.

Secondly, , they phoned you to say that maybe they could help, yet became "offensive" when you said it was too late!  How many times have you been let down by a "tradesman" who can not even be bothered to phone you to explain, or give you an  apology for his "non appearance"? They have obviously tried to make room for "your" 11`puppies, possibly making many phone calls to prospective helpers, and made arrangements for an appointment with a vet, which probably had to be cancelled, and YOU did not have the courtesy to phone them to say you had made other arrangements!!!

Thirdly, "Mr Sucker" (patronising tone - can't even be bothered to call someone by their proper name/avatar) - actually "PoorSucker" was probably referring to all the regular dogs on his/her street, not the strays that just wander in.

"Man Fell In Love With Thailand’s Stray Dogs And Now Feeds 80 Every Day"

Why doesn't he take all 80 of them to his house to feed ,water ,vaccinate...maybe he doesn't want to hear them howling all day and night,pick up all the crap and take responsibility for bitting and accidents.... his neighbors wouldn't mind surely ?

18 hours ago, sambum said:

Thirdly, "Mr Sucker" (patronising tone - can't even be bothered to call someone by their proper name/avatar) - actually "PoorSucker" was probably referring to all the regular dogs on his/her street, not the strays that just wander in.

PoorSucker stated that 100% of the dogs were vaccinated in Samui. This is what I quoted and commented on.

This statement and the quotation have been edited to a more accurate statement.

4 hours ago, TheLobster said:

PoorSucker stated that 100% of the dogs were vaccinated in Samui. This is what I quoted and commented on.

This statement and the quotation have been edited to a more accurate statement.

"100% of dogs on our street is vaccinated and fixed already thanks to them."

(From Poor Sucker's Post No #7)

So where exactly does PoorSucker say that 100% of the dogs were vaccinated in Samui?

And your last line has been "edited to a more accurate statement" by whom?

8 hours ago, sambum said:

1. So where exactly does PoorSucker say that 100% of the dogs were vaccinated in Samui?

2. And your last line has been "edited to a more accurate statement" by whom?

1. In PoorSucker's original post 7, which I reported as inaccurate and irresponsible.

2. That is the question isn't it. Who has the ability to edit without it being noted on the forum? and who would have the motive to do such a thing?

29 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

1. In PoorSucker's original post 7, which I reported as inaccurate and irresponsible.

2. That is the question isn't it. Who has the ability to edit without it being noted on the forum? and who would have the motive to do such a thing?

Are you saying that PoorSucker originally said that "100% of the dogs on Samui is vaccinated and fixed already thanks to them"?

And then altered it to read:- 

"100% of dogs on our street is vaccinated and fixed already thanks to them."

4 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

The original post said 100% of the dogs in Samui.

In which case I would expect a reply or explanation from PoorSucker, as I certainly did not see that post!

Perhaps you have somebody else on here to back up your story who saw the original post?

On 9/8/2017 at 1:15 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Any members knowledgeable about these kinds of programs? Or any members better at finding answers on-line?

Cheers

Yes, this is very popular and effective in the States, particularly among feral feline populations.

It's unrealistic to expect Thais to kill the dogs, since Thai vets are reluctant to perform euthanasia.

Archived