When and where to look for teaching jobs starting next term?

thedan663

Hi all,

Looking for a teaching gig to start the next term (or late-September/October if possible). I am qualified and NES and would prefer to teach English (not certified in Math or Science).

I've seen Ajarn.com, Craigslist, and Facebook have jobs, but not many. Thought there would be more at this time. Really looking to teach only in Bangkok at the moment.

Does the hiring process pick up come October? And are there any other useful places to look other than where I listed?

Thanks!

The ones listed are the main sites and right now would be the really low season.   Many people will not put in their resignation or let their employer know they are leaving until the holiday actually begins.   A fair number will also not return at the end of the holiday.  

So, keep your eyes open throughout the upcoming month and into early November.  

Why do you want to work in the Thai education system?

I've never come across a bigger swamp loaded with cheats, liars and unreliable employers in Thailand. Generally unconsciable thieves.

Try approaching individual schools direct.

You'll still get ripped off, but you'll know about it sooner.

In my experience, and also when looking at the various job sites, many schools of leave it till the last moment to recruit presumably in the mistaken belief that teachers do so too. However, I can add a couple more good websites for jobs in Thailand: www.jobsdb.com and www.satabian.com

I agree with the suggestion above about approaching schools directly. My advice would be to, first, find a school you would like to be at then do some research about it and, if possible, discover the name of the Director or Head Of  English and then ask for them in person when you go to the school armed with your cv and, most important in Thailand, looking/dressing smart.

Good luck!!

What was wrong with the last job, lol? Appears you are/were working this term. Trouble getting hired in October is that if you've been in Thailand the prospective employer knows you were shitcanned or bailed on your last job. So what skills and experience are you bringing to the game?

Craigslist is utterly worthless as are FB pages as is teachingthailand. Just bottom feeder agencies. I've had enormous success on ajarn.com despite the useless stories and drivel. They are though starting to post some real trash jobs and many of the same old sketchy agencies habitually post there. Ajarn really needs some standards. From my experience all the other EFL job websites are rubbish without exception. Agency websites are awful and never current.

To the poster above, yes we all should be well aware by now that direct hire is the only way to go, even then schools often have issues. Bitter much?

Any teacher worth their salt should know every school worth working in Bangkok as well as the top schools in the provinces. Again, the schools and agencies constantly churning thru teachers, despite academic reputation should be avoided as we as any that use agencies. There are sadly many.

12 hours ago, sandemara said:

Why do you want to work in the Thai education system?

I've never come across a bigger swamp loaded with cheats, liars and unreliable employers in Thailand. Generally unconsciable thieves.

Try approaching individual schools direct.

You'll still get ripped off, but you'll know about it sooner.

You know, I've had my share of sketchy employers but only one (agency) that did not pay me every satang I was entitled. That agency did not pay monthly attendance bonus.

In general, your contact should be very simple. Especially true in any agency managed by farang. Any and all end of year bonsuses especially complicated ones are designed to keep you in place for each year, assuming you can even bear a second. End of year bonuses are a total red flag to a shitty job and shittier agency. Simple re-signing bonus only.

I love my current school. The hours a bit long but love the kids, extracurriculars, my boss,  the Thai teachers, # lessons, money, even the foreign teachers are tolerable. It is very, very hard work but decent jobs exist.

Bad teachers can hold bad jobs as well. They'll complain publically but they don't really deserve better and obviously lack the ambition to get what they want out of their lives.

I'm not seeing a lot of good jobs being posted in last few weeks, perhaps ten or so. Of course, usual maniacal agencies perpetually in search of new rubes.

There's so many sketchy agencies Im absolutely certain they just post under a different name every so often for cover. I'm bet serious money you won't find their posting name on their business license. Then there are the more established agencies, they just burn through teachers. Failed business plan.

I'm hearing that good schools are losing teachers to those willing to pay up. 47.5-65+ K is well possible depending on experience and paper.

There is always work in Rangsit if you want to live up there. No need to go through an agency, plenty of direct ire stuff advertised at 40+++. Many look desperate.

Thai school system 1st semester is winding down to its end approximately mid-Oct. Expect a number of teachers to pull "runners" and not return for the 2nd semester.

International schools have already started their school year and teachers there tend to stay.

PM me if you're looking for work in either Bangkok or Chonburi.

Archived