Looney German Of Moon Muang Deported?

Johpa

Can anyone confirm the rumor that my old pal, H., was finally deported for overstaying his visa by a few decades? H was the argumentative German who lived behind the Montri and walked Moon Muang daily. He was a bit short of stature and sometimes grew his hair out long, wore shorts, and often had a somewhat unkept appearance, perhaps Peter Jackson's model for a hobbit. Had a son R with his wife from the KMT village west of Fang although wife was not around much even when not incarcerated.

Despite the picture above, H was a good man and exceptionally bright and extremely well read, and great company for a few hours. He just could not get himself out of his Chiang Mai rut. Despite a friendship of nearly two decades, not to mention I once had a relationship with his sister-in-law long ago, I never could get him to come up and visit my home in the hills. Last time I saw him a few years ago I ended up having dinner with him and the ex-pat who in my mind defined the lowest common denominator in Chiang Mai, the Welshman.

Happy Trails

Johpa

> Can anyone confirm the rumor that my old pal, H., was finally deported for

> overstaying his visa by a few decades? H was the argumentative German who

> lived behind the Montri and walked Moon Muang daily.

You mean "Santa" ? ;-) I don't know his name or ever even talked to him, but did see someone like you describe (pot belly, long gray beard, shorts) wandering aroudn the Farang-bum areas. Used to joke with friends: "This is where Santa lives 10 months of the year." :o

Haven't seen him in ages, or perhaps wouldn't recognize him if he had a shave and wore normal clothing. :D

As a runner-up to the 'scruffy looking Farang' theme, there's a guy who I always see around Songkran time, and seems to enjoy the party. See this pic, bottom-right picture in the series here: http://sukstalker.fotopages.com/?entry=90452

Cheers,

Chanchao

What about 'Judy' the 30-50's Thai woman who could be seen walking along roads all over town wearing a solid-color dress, maybe looking like she escaped from Suan Prung? I have seen her for more than 10 years, but not in the last 3 or 4. Anybody have an idea of whatever happened to her?

Or the old skinny Thai guy wearing a beat-up straw hat, peddling his bicycle w/basket on back around town, selling various 10-20 baht cookies, cakes and banana bread? He's been doing it longer than I've lived here, but I haven't seen him for about a year or so. Very nice guy, and the first vendor I bought something from in Thailand...

Whatever happened to them?

What about 'Judy' the 30-50's Thai woman who could be seen walking along roads all over town wearing a solid-color dress, maybe looking like she escaped from Suan Prung? I have seen her for more than 10 years, but not in the last 3 or 4. Anybody have an idea of whatever happened to her?

Or the old skinny Thai guy wearing a beat-up straw hat, peddling his bicycle w/basket on back around town, selling various 10-20 baht cookies, cakes and banana bread? He's been doing it longer than I've lived here, but I haven't seen him for about a year or so. Very nice guy, and the first vendor I bought something from in Thailand...

Whatever happened to them?

Or the crazy guy Nigel, who used to run the former croissant cafe on Thapae. Man, he was a real loose cannon! :o

I have seen 'Judy' up on the Mae Rim road of late, and out around the stupid highway

In the last year? Glad she's still around. The last few sightings I had of her were in the middle of the Super and on Chotana...

You mean "Santa" ? ;-) I don't know his name or ever even talked to him, but did see someone like you describe (pot belly, long gray beard, shorts) wandering aroudn the Farang-bum areas. Used to joke with friends: "This is where Santa lives 10 months of the year." :o

Haven't seen him in ages, or perhaps wouldn't recognize him if he had a shave and wore normal clothing. :D

As a runner-up to the 'scruffy looking Farang' theme, there's a guy who I always see around Songkran time, and seems to enjoy the party. See this pic, bottom-right picture in the series here: http://sukstalker.fotopages.com/?entry=90452

Cheers,

Chanchao

Santa is or was a Swede. I remember I met him a couple of days after he arrived and offered to play him at squash at the gymkana. It was all down hill after that.

How about honest Abe. He weighs 6 stones and used to doss upstairs at the Domino when David West still ran it. I'll bet he's been sent home.

"How about honest Abe. He weighs 6 stones and used to doss upstairs at the Domino when David West still ran it. I'll bet he's been sent home."

Abe is one of Chiangmai's most loveable characters, and has "stayed" all over town. In the old days he was a resident at the old Kotchasarn hotel, now an untidy hole in the ground, which is a vast improvement. Fellow inmates included "Andy Mao" sadly passed on, Ian Downing (Australian in slouch hat and cane) and the likes of "Spaghetti Ronnie"

As mentioned, Abe "did time" at Domino, and many other familiar haunts including a spell at Pun-Pun on the river. His last and regetable final place of abode was the Blue Sky Garden. He suffered a major brain heamorage a while back and was hospitalised. He was then billeted at the McKean centre on the island in the river (the old leper colony) The last I heard (earlier this year) was that he was still there. I hope he is, and is in good health. :o

Sorry to hear about Abe. As you say he's always been a good humoured guy. Andy Mao, you don't mean the Chiang Mai Ripper do you. I used to visit him at the remand prison. It was like a health farm. The worst thing that happened to him was being let go.

Sorry to hear about Abe. As you say he's always been a good humoured guy. Andy Mao, you don't mean the Chiang Mai Ripper do you. I used to visit him at the remand prison. It was like a health farm. The worst thing that happened to him was being let go.

Nah, this Andy Mao first lived in the Kotchasarn, and then the Moon Garden. He was a Glasweigan (?) Was here on and off for years, from memory he suffered his demise at the Inter Inn. Perpetually in a state of intoxication, but catch him in a rare sober mode, he was quite articulate and surprisingly intelligent. Ex ship's engineer, (aren't all people from Glasgow) Thin faced, and could be identified by the excessive cigarette burn marks on every piece of clothing he posessed :D

Him and Abe used to spend the day together at the old Blue Sky in the Bar Beer centre, when it ran 24/7 in the days when Rudi the mad german was pumping the owner of the bar.

I could go on forever, but........................ :o

> Fellow inmates included "Andy Mao" sadly passed on,

Andy? As in the guy who got thrown in jail on charges of killing the English backpacker girl a couple of years ago (big stir in England), and then deported on charges of overstaying his visa since pretty much the time this place was still called 'Siam' ? ;-)

(I like the way this discussion is going.. has a real 'small village gossip' feel to it, and with Chiang Mai being blessed with more than a few village-idiots, this topic will span a couple of pages very soon.. :o

As for Thai village idiots, did you see that guy who dresses up in police attire, wearing a VERY worn uniform and lots of medals and stuff, and goes around passing out 'parking tickets' (little notes) at random? :-) He looks like some zombie police guy who just crawled back from the grave.

Let's make a list of 'Suan Prung's Finest'. ;-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

> Fellow inmates included "Andy Mao" sadly passed on,

Andy? As in the guy who got thrown in jail on charges of killing the English backpacker girl a couple of years ago (big stir in England), and then deported on charges of overstaying his visa since pretty much the time this place was still called 'Siam' ? ;-)

(I like the way this discussion is going.. has a real 'small village gossip' feel to it, and with Chiang Mai being blessed with more than a few village-idiots, this topic will span a couple of pages very soon.. :D

As for Thai village idiots, did you see that guy who dresses up in police attire, wearing a VERY worn uniform and lots of medals and stuff, and goes around passing out 'parking tickets' (little notes) at random? :-) He looks like some zombie police guy who just crawled back from the grave.

Let's make a list of 'Suan Prung's Finest'. ;-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Nah, another Andy. The one involved with the Kirsty Jones murder was named Andy G--- and ran the guesthouse where she was killed. Had massive international coverage, and the case was completely botched by Chiangmai's finest.

Yes, Chiangmai certainly has it's fair share of village idiots, and in dire need of some Suan Prung treatment.

Over the years it's had more than it's fair share, but the forum just isn't large enough to accomodate all of them :o Unless you want to include Tony H----s former owner of the Black Cat, and ex BOAC pilot and formula one driver etc. :D

Telephone booths are just SO over rated. I find the red mail boxes just so much sexier and more able to hold a more argumentative conversation.

Recently all the young new pedestrian traffic lights have been catching my eye tho.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I think he was pretty tongue in cheek.. Note that smiley.. :-) And when I post something silly then I fully expect some flak, would actually be dispappointed otherwise. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

No disappointment there...you got your well deserved flak :D

Talking of drop kicks and weirdos (which we wern't) Does anybody remember the kathoey that use to walk round the moat every day in co-ordinated colours and umbrella? Havn't seen it in years :o Mind you I stopped having breakfast at the "Bierstupid" years ago, just a thought :D