Transfer Stamps to New Passport

CMBob

Just providing the information for those who may need to transfer immigration stamps to a new passport.  I needed to transfer my annual extension and multi-reentry stamps to a new passport.

Accomplished at desk/office #3 at Promenada Immigration (desk/office immediately to the left of the copy shop).  Documents required:

1.  Form - Transfer Stamp to New Passport.  Completed, signed, and you need to write your telephone number in the space to the left of the signature line.  Please note that this form is Chiang Mai Immigration specific (you have to get the form from them as it apparently isn't offered online - they won't accept the one online form that refers to Bangkok Immigration).

2.  Documents from old passport:

a.  Photocopy of photo page and every single filled-out page of your old passport.  Please note that they want all the copies to show the pages horizontally (intern got a bit bent out of shape about that as some of my page copies were copied vertically).  Sign your name on all the photocopies.  Don't need a copy of any 90-day address Receipt or any TM30 Receipt.

3.  Documents from new passport:

a.  Photocopy of photo page, page showing your entry stamp, and your new TM6 (departure card).  Sign your name on all photocopies.

Intern will review your paperwork and, if okay, give you a queue number.  When it's your turn, they'll take your documents and passports inside (you wait outside) and, when finished, they'll have you sign a document or two and give you back your passports.  There is no charge for the stamps transfer.

• 1 month later...

Hi, thank you for this info. Did you get your new passport in Thailand or in your Home Country? I see you said you had to show your entry stamp and new tm6 from your new passport so I was wondering if that meant your came in with the new passport and showed the visa in the old passport?

I am trying to plan ahead on getting a new passport and wondering if I can get a new one while back in my home country and then travel in or with that. 

Any info would be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, DavidMeer said:

Hi, thank you for this info. Did you get your new passport in Thailand or in your Home Country? I see you said you had to show your entry stamp and new tm6 from your new passport so I was wondering if that meant your came in with the new passport and showed the visa in the old passport?

I am trying to plan ahead on getting a new passport and wondering if I can get a new one while back in my home country and then travel in or with that. 

Yes you can.

It is obviously cheaper to renew in your home country.

2 hours ago, DavidMeer said:

I got the new passport in my home country (USA) this summer when I visited there.  So, yes, showed the old passport and new passport to the Immigration Officer at the airport when I flew into Chiangmai from Korea...and made sure that I pointed out to him that I have an annual extension (retirement) which expires next May and the necessary re-entry stamp.  So I ended up with an entry stamp in the new passport allowing me to remain until my extension expires.  If I wouldn't have shown my old passport with the referenced stamps, I suppose all I would have received would have been the visa-exempt entry of 30 days.  After a few days back here in CM, I went out and got the stamp transfers done as mentioned above.

Now, if you got your new US (or other country) passport while you're still in Thailand, you'd still need to transfer any visa/extension and re-entry stamp to your new passport (and it would involve the same documents I mentioned above except the copy of the entry stamp and departure card would be from your old passport).

Edit:  I would note that the cost of an adult renewal of a US passport is the same in the US as it is here in Thailand ($110.00) (i.e., it isn't any cheaper to do it in the US). 

Hmmm I just renewed my NZ passport online and it was all done in 3 days (Thats application submitted and passport into Thailand)...amazing stuff. Surprisingly it took  DHL took 5 days to get it  from Chiang Mai to Mae Rim.  I put it down to incompetent staff or just lazy drivers.

Off to promenada in the next few day to do just this.  Got all the photocopying done down in the local plaza for just 5 baht...dont know how they survive.

Some things in Thailand never cease to amaze....

Archived