Murder! Police charge driver who went the wrong way and killed baby

webfact

Murder! Police charge driver who went the wrong way and killed baby

rr.jpg.a635e876253616d35d2f1b84036939dd.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Police in Suphanburi have charged the driver who drove on the wrong side of the road at a bend in Suphanburi with murder.

And the driver was drunk, said the cops.

The CCTV footage from the carnage was posted online last week. It showed a grey pick-up being driven by Wimon Phumkong, 53, colliding head on with an entirely innocent family.

In the black pick-up was a mother and father, grandparents and a six month old boy Chaiwat who was pronounced dead at the scene.

The accident happened on the Suan Taeng bend on Route 321 Suphan - U-Thong road.

Police said that doctors had saved the life of Wimon, a fish seller, who was now recovering in Soon Chaopraya Yommarat Hospital.

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Wimon was still in a confused state and the police said that he had said in a rambling state that it was "all his responsibility but he didn't mean to cause an accident".

A blood test revealed that he was over the alcohol limit.

Police have charged him with murder, attempted murder and drink driving.

They told Daily News they believe that in the circumstances there is sufficient evidence to make the murder and attempted murder charges stick.

Last week Wimon's wife claimed that her husband had had a big argument with relatives before he went out alone in the pick-up.

She said that he would not have had time to have a drink. He knew the roads well, she said because he lived in the area.

Police said there was no doubt about him being over the limit.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-12

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Last week Wimon's wife claimed that her husband had had a big argument with relatives before he went out alone in the pick-up.

She said that he would not have had time to have a drink. "

She also said that he quit drinking years ago. At the time I found it odd that the wife added that he wouldn't have time to have a drink - odd to say about someone that doesn't drink (as she claimed).

It's like me adding that I didn't have time for a cigarette before I got on the plane after stating that I don't smoke. (I don't)

Good. One person who'll be charged and hopefully sentenced. Better get him behind bars pronto before he runs off. 

Now, let's see if the cops can capture Mr. Coward, errr, sorry I mean "Boss" and put him in front of a judge, too. 

I might get slated for this, but I'm worried he'll get off. I can't see how a murder charge can be proven. How will a prosecution lawyer 'prove' intent?

What was the motive? How can premeditated murder be shown to be his intention? Then, with the murder and attempted murder charges dropped, he's left with a drink driving charge only. Not much (if any) jail time for that.

24 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

I might get slated for this, but I'm worried he'll get off. I can't see how a murder charge can be proven. How will a prosecution lawyer 'prove' intent?

What was the motive? How can premeditated murder be shown to be his intention? Then, with the murder and attempted murder charges dropped, he's left with a drink driving charge only. Not much (if any) jail time for that.

The act of driving on the wrong side of the road and speeding in the fast lane shows intent.

Most seen driving on the wrong side of the road keep close to the road shoulder.

"Most seen driving on the wrong side of the road keep close to the road shoulder."

Yes - if they know they are on the wrong side of the road.

I hear you all, and your comments are understood. But surely just simply driving on the wrong side of the road in a seemingly confused (drunk) state isn't intent. Remember the guy who killed the two graduate students? He was possibly (probably) drunk and on medication. That started off as a murder charge but was later dropped. The two cases have similarities. Please don't anyone think I'm defending this guy; he needs to go away for a long time, but his defense on the current charges might be easy: "I didn't know I was on the wrong side of the road and didn't mean to kill anyone." To prove otherwise will be tough. Whereas with a gun a defence is more difficult, "I pointed the gun at him and pulled the trigger, but I didn't mean to kill him." Everyone knows if you point and fire a gun then your intent is probably to kill. 

Just saying.

Do they have the "manslaughter" concept here?

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Good news, so now the police has a lot to do since i see those murderers on EVERY road in BKK.

My Thai friend drove his big bike into a motocy taxi who was going against traffic, he spent 3 months in hospital and almost was dead. 

Problem seems to me that if they charge him with murder, they will have to prove he planned to kill the baby, which I would have thought would be easy for a decent lawyer to get him off with.

Sure;y it would have made more sense to have charged him with manslaughter or similar, where intent is not an onus on the prosecution.

46 minutes ago, bheard said:

40 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

unpremeditated murder do you know what is this, this man deserves ample.

As mentioned earlier that's manslaughter, but does that exist under Thai law? I  don't know.

30 minutes ago, bheard said:

They probably do, but reporting the charge as murder avoids their culpability for TV critics that might split a gut when a Thai tried to figure out how to pronounce  the charge.

19 minutes ago, silent said:

They probably do, but reporting the charge as murder avoids their culpability for TV critics that might split a gut when a Thai tried to figure out how to pronounce  the charge.

TV critics that might split a gut

Would that be   man's laughter ?:unsure:

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Police have charged him with murder, attempted murder and drink driving.

Murder? 

Causing death by reckless driving or manslaughter, I can see.

Murder implies some sort of premeditation or intent.

This was neither, though he should still face the harshest of sentence if found guilty, as his behaviour alone was responsible for the accident.

2 hours ago, trogers said:

The act of driving on the wrong side of the road and speeding in the fast lane shows intent.

Most seen driving on the wrong side of the road keep close to the road shoulder.

It doesn't show intent, it shows culpability for what happened.

There is a difference.

Though in this case the sentence should be the same.

36 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Murder, manslaughter - hopefully makes little difference when the hard element in a prison find he killed a baby.

The RTP have gone for murder because the seriousness of the charge is directly proportional to the cost of the "Get out of Jail Free" card.

Providing he can raise the money to buy it. Some can...... some can't.

3 hours ago, Wiggy said:

exactly...voluntary manslaughter seems appropriate...

I am glad to see them charge this moron with murder but my question is " why have the police all of a sudden decided to charge this guy with murder when there are probably thousands of others that have done something equally as selfish, horrible and stupid, but still given a lesser charge of careless driving causing death?"

Just now, trogers said:

The sad thing is, that as I read, "Most seen driving on the wrong side of the road keep close to the road shoulder.", I nodded my head in agreement thinking, "Damn straight - it's mad to think he was driving in the fast lane"  and then realized <deleted> - It's mad that it's so accepted and 'normal' here,  that driving the wrong way on the hard shoulder does not even catch my attention. :shock1:

2 hours ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Only reason he was charged or even tested for his alcohol content was because he had no influence. What about the so called English /Thai actress? Red bull guy? What ever happened to the sons of the cops that killed the handicapped bread seller?

This is true but 2 wrongs dont make a right . Would you rather that nobody was ever prosecuted because of the (disgusting ) free pass given to the privileged few.

3 hours ago, trogers said:

Are you serious? Intent to murder driving on the wrong side of the road? Do you live in Thailand? This is a daily occurrence in every part of the country - it is a very sad situation and my heart goes out to the family but this is general thai road use

Archived