Has everybody who quit in the last year still off them??

ThaiPauly

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a dyslexic friend who wanted to give up smoking and he tried hydrotherapy!! It worked......... He couldn't keep his fag alight [emoji23][emoji23]

Sorry....... couldn't help it!!
I'll get me coat.....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
I had a friend who managed to quit with the patches. He put one over each eyes and he couldn't find his fags.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I stopped lighting up 7 days ago after 45 years of smoking pleasure.

No particular reason why, certainly not for health reasons, just woke up on a Saturday morning with a dry mouth and sore throat after a heavy Friday night out, nothing unusual. Made a cuppa, went outside for a smoke and realised I'd left my ciggies at the bar, it was raining heavy so I went without. About 2 hours later it dawned on me that I hadn't lit up so I convinced myself to wait another 2 hours, and so it continued.

Support from my wife has been fantastic and the incentives have surely been worth it! :wink: Strange, she never mentioned it before but since last Friday she tells me I no longer smell like an ashtray, my clothes can now be washed with hers, she will walk hand in hand etc. Things I've never really noticed before have now become important and I don't want to lose them. That's my incentive.

It's hard, very hard. One day at a time.

I can fully understand why people gain weight after quitting. It's only been 7 days but already it's the pleasure of actually being able to distinguish different tastes in food, the pleasure of eating, probably something I've never experienced before and I like it immensely! To be able to smell the 'freshness' after a heavy rain, the mango smell after pruning the tree and the freshly cut grass smell I can remember from my childhood. I've denied myself these simple pleasures for so many years and for what?

I'm not going to deny that I'm still trying to convince myself of the virtues on an hourly basis and seek support wherever I can find it, especially from family. I've refrained from going out all week but tonight's the night!

I'm going to be a very bad former smoker so I apologise to my friends in advance. If you smoke, keep your distance.

• 3 weeks later...

3 weeks and counting!

Strangely enough it's mostly women who have given me the thumbs up; wags of my so-called friends. I say so-called friends because they have not been supportive, I can sort of sense some jealously!

Oh well............

Got to admit, the attention I'm getting from my wife now is the most encouraging aspect of quitting.

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2017 at 7:17 AM, koo said:

I read Allen Carr's "Easyway to stop smoking".

I really works if you trust yourself to understand and pick up the ideas in the book, and also are truly willing to quit smoking.

The best part is that you don't need to buy or borrow the book, it is now also a free download: http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

Thanks! Been smoking 33 years. Time to quit.

Doing OK so far. Started about 3 weeks ago & slowly cut back from two packs a day to one pack, to half a pack, to cutting a Swisher Sweet cigar into one inch pieces & just sticking them in my mouth till they get wet (and I get a bit of nicotine out of them).

Had some nicotine lozenges for the longest time, but could never use them, til today. I had 3 of them today. I only sucked on a cigar plug once today.

I'm off to read that book now.

Thanks again for the link!

• 3 weeks later...

I stumbled onto the Allen Carr book on here,thanks.

2 months off them after 31 years and i must say it's a breeze so far.

Never had a reason to give up before but after reading the book i could see similar patterns happening.

TBH i don't really feel any different other than a little wheezing has gone.

It is nice to sit back after 2 months and say you've saved yourself smoking another 2500 ciggies. 

Hi All

First time I have posted on this forum.

I am shamelessly proud of myself as I was a smoker for around 35 years but (hopefully) am kicking the foul things.

At the moment, I am just under three months without a single ciggie or even a drag. I stopped the day that taxes were supposed to go up (Sept 18th), reasoning that since I didn't seem to be able to stop for my health, perhaps I could channel my "inner cheapness". Okay, I don't really know what that means, but it is working. And BTW, the taxes on my smokes didn't go up.

@Madgee

You have set out the changes well in your post above. I am now tasting food that I haven't tasted in decades and yes, have gained about ten pounds. 

I have noticed one big difference that you didn't mention. I cycle 20 KM every morning and have already noticed a difference. I have been cycling for about three years, but now my lungs don't burn as they did. As a matter of fact, some mornings I get back to my house hardly puffing and wonder what the hell has happened and if I have gotten enough exercise. Go figure.

To all who are in the process, and to all who are thinking about it;

If I can go three months without a smoke, so can you! 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, i stopped 3-4 month ago or so,

i think above all it takes an incentive, mine materialized as inability to get air,

i nearly passed out coughing and chipping for air in exhaustion.

it helps to take a snuff, but if you got the right incentive, its not actually needed.

to make it easier on myself, i didnt drink anything beside water the first couple of months, since drinking anything else was so tightly associated with smoking, that i wouldnt smoke at all if i didnt have any drink to accompany the cig.

i used to smoke 2 packs a day

Archived