U.N. says 370,000 flee Myanmar, exodus continuing

Jonathan Fairfield

U.N. says 370,000 flee Myanmar, exodus continuing

r4.JPG

GENEVA (Reuters) - Violence in Myanmar has prompted 370,000 people belonging to the Muslim Rohingya minority to flee to Bangladesh since Aug. 25, up from a previous estimate of 313,000, the U.N. International Organization for Migration said on Tuesday.

"The system is clearly at full stretch and needs all the support it can get," IOM chief spokesman Leonard Doyle said. He declined to say how big he thought the exodus could get.

"Clearly the estimates have been bypassed several times over," he told a briefing in Geneva. "I’m reluctant to give a number but obviously people fear that it could go much higher."

(Reporting by Tom Miles; editing by John Stonestreet)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-12

The Burmese have always wanted the Rohingya out of Myanmar and the recent attack on several police posts by the Rohingya provided the perfect excuse for the authorities to lay waste and drive the Royingya out. 

The insurgents say they had been driven beyond the point of endurance by human rights restrictions: unable to travel, work , study, attend government hospitals- kept in concentration camps. death was better than this.

They have a point - better to die on your feet as a free man than live on your knees like a slave - but what a terrible choice.

On 9/12/2017 at 6:47 PM, dunroaming said:

The military still have a strangle hold on Burma.  They are leading this ethnic cleansing and I am afraid Aung San Suu Kyi can do little about it.  Democracy still hasn't found it's way to Burma in any real way.   

Spot on, sad country & world

On 9/12/2017 at 6:17 PM, dunroaming said:

The military still have a strangle hold on Burma.  They are leading this ethnic cleansing and I am afraid Aung San Suu Kyi can do little about it.  Democracy still hasn't found it's way to Burma in any real way.   

Live here for a while and you may think differently.

Call them Rohinga if it makes you feel better but they are muslims and the Burmese aren't afraid to let them know they are not wanted in their country and I totally agree with them.

The western media only shows half of the picture as usual and never the violence perpetrated by the muslims on the Buddhists.

10 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Live here for a while and you may think differently.

Call them Rohinga if it makes you feel better but they are muslims and the Burmese aren't afraid to let them know they are not wanted in their country and I totally agree with them.

The western media only shows half of the picture as usual and never the violence perpetrated by the muslims on the Buddhists.

The Muslims are the same everywhere. Myanmar is lucky to have a military which takes care about this.

The most European countries are not that lucky, with governments who invite them and hide their crimes and let the illegal immigrants to remain in their countries on the costs of the tax payers.

Archived