Transcripts

Jessy

What is the situation with regards to transcripts?? Are transcripts needed for both a degree and a TEFL certificate??

I did my degree over ten years ago and I have only managed to get transcripts for the first year. It was never common policy for British universities to issue transcripts, certainly not more than ten years ago.

What about for TEFL certs?? Advice and experience on this matter appreciated.

I understand that the American and British meanings for transcripts are slightly different. In America, the transcript is a record of courses taken, grades earned, and degrees obtained (if any). The transcript is actually (in terms of paperwork) more important than the degree certificate itself in proving that you have a degree and explaining what coursework you have done- the degree certificate is mainly important for hanging up on your wall. Transcripts must be sealed by the university to be fully official, and usually have a copy-protection pattern on them so that photocopies can not be mistaken for the "originals." You can have as many original transcripts as you pay for; they are hard copy of your records at the university, not the degree itself. I believe that in Britain they only offer you one transcript and it counts, in its way, as a certificate?

Until recently in Thailand, the degree certificate was more important (for some reason) but various pressures (including the problem of fake degree certs.) have increased the importance of the transcript. In recent days, if you were going the way of full legal paperwork, this transcript of coursework would be required as well as the actual degree certificate (diploma).

In the context of the above discussion, I don't understand what you mean by a "transcript" for a TEFL course. A TEFL cert is not a degree and doesn't usually contain multiple "courses." Can OP please explain what a TEFL transcript would be? Presumably you're issued some sort of TEFL certificate upon completion of a course, and at that point the TEFL institute will admit to knowing you should any school call to verify you have taken their course(s). If you're asking if proof of taking the TEFL is required, I'd say that's pretty darn likely.

"Steven"

Thanks for your advice. A friend of mine told me that when he applied for a job he was asked for TEFL transcripts: that is a record of the coursework/curriculem covered. I guess it is possible he misunderstood?? But, from whatyou said, I assume therefore that you haven't heard of people being asked to produce this TEFL transcript. With regards to instituations checking up on qualifications, I think it happens occasionally, but not very often. And if they check anything it is more likely to be the degree as this takes precedent over the TEFL. Thanks.

My CELTA certificate came with a 'Full Report.' It is a separate document that shows PASS grades for achievements, areas of progress, areas for development and an overall comment. At the bottom it is signed and stamped by one of the instructors. Before the certificate is issued (It takes about three to four weeks to get it), a 'Provisional Report' is issued which simply says that the trainee has passed. This is used by the trainee to show a prospective employer if the certificate hasn't been issued yet.

Edited by mbkudu

The Thai TEFL certificate that I earned in Thailand has a reverse side that explains what the course covered. They issue the same explanation in Thai, as well. Oh, and the front of my signed cert says whether I merely passed, did fairly well, or did most excellent, as Bill & Ted used to say.

Some schools, not knowing how to hire a qualified candidate, and not understanding qualifications, are asking for transcripts for no good reason. The proper purpose for requesting transcripts might be shown by examples such as,

1. To hire a teacher of chemistry or trignonometry: what uni courses did the applicant take, and what grades or marks did they earn?

2. To hire an education major: what courses in education psychology, methodology, education history, developmental psych, course planning, etc., did the applicant study?

3. The applicant has a paper that looks like a uni degree, but does he also have a transcript from that uni to prove his attendance and graduation?

Some of these schools and goverernmental ministry officials in Thailand can't distinguish between Wales and New South Wales, between Ireland and Iceland. They are grasping at straws to save face by requiring documentation they won't even understand. They have no concept at how impossible they're making it for farang, to be perfectly legal in a country where the concept "perfectly legal" makes no sense. Jump through their funny hoops if you must and if you can.

When they make impossible demands, maybe they're not even serious, and they know it. Smile, let everybody save face, explain the best you can, and ask too many questions until they decide not to be serious about it. Think of all the recent scares that didn't quite happen. Give them copies of the documents you have, get what you can, and stop worrying about it. Or, as many teachers are doing, just refuse to work with such insanity.

When I registered to study for a higher degree at AU in Bangkok, I had to provide a transcript from my UK university (Durham), from which I graduated in 1976! They were able to provide me with one, for the sum of 10 pounds, which simply listed all the component courses of my bachelor's degree, but without any grades. I think the UK universities have responded to the need for transcripts outside the UK.

G

British universities didn't have transcripts pre-1995.

How would someone with a degree before then satisfy the need for one.

What is the need for one - are they asking for one in Bangkok?

Edited by grtaylor

Some schools, not knowing how to hire a qualified candidate, and not understanding qualifications, are asking for transcripts for no good reason. The proper purpose for requesting transcripts might be shown by examples such as,

1. To hire a teacher of chemistry or trignonometry: what uni courses did the applicant take, and what grades or marks did they earn?

2. To hire an education major: what courses in education psychology, methodology, education history, developmental psych, course planning, etc., did the applicant study?

3. The applicant has a paper that looks like a uni degree, but does he also have a transcript from that uni to prove his attendance and graduation?

Some of these schools and goverernmental ministry officials in Thailand can't distinguish between Wales and New South Wales, between Ireland and Iceland. They are grasping at straws to save face by requiring documentation they won't even understand. They have no concept at how impossible they're making it for farang, to be perfectly legal in a country where the concept "perfectly legal" makes no sense. Jump through their funny hoops if you must and if you can.

When they make impossible demands, maybe they're not even serious, and they know it. Smile, let everybody save face, explain the best you can, and ask too many questions until they decide not to be serious about it. Think of all the recent scares that didn't quite happen. Give them copies of the documents you have, get what you can, and stop worrying about it. Or, as many teachers are doing, just refuse to work with such insanity.

I have been employed as a teacher in Thailand for several years and have had (and have) a WP for each period of employment. In each case and at more than one MOL office, I have had to produce my transcripts for my degrees. I do not consider this an "impossible demand." I consider this a prudent and reasonable request on the part of the approving authorities. Some countries require that these transcripts be sent directly to them from the universities overseas and that they be certified copies. I would not be disappointed or surprised to see this implemented in Thailand in the not so distant future.

It may or may not be impossible, depending on where you come from, which college/university you graduated from etc. Until I went to work overseas I'd never heard of a transcript. They simply didn't exist in the UK. Your degree certificate was proof that you had graduated and with what class of degree.

G

I have been employed as a teacher in Thailand for several years and have had (and have) a WP for each period of employment. In each case and at more than one MOL office, I have had to produce my transcripts for my degrees. I do not consider this an "impossible demand." I consider this a prudent and reasonable request on the part of the approving authorities. Some countries require that these transcripts be sent directly to them from the universities overseas and that they be certified copies. I would not be disappointed or surprised to see this implemented in Thailand in the not so distant future.