Help! Horrendous bureaucratic obstacle to driving

jrmaanda

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

First, temporary, license is 2 years now.

It was one year when I got mine but many thanks for the update.

As an addendum I believe that an Thai licence can be used for upto 1 year in the U.K. 

After which you need to do a CBT and then take a test, which seems a bit stupid because you have just spent a year driving a 1,000 + cc motorbike or a car without L plates but now you have to down size and stick on plates !!!

11 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

Your experience was totally different to mine but then I am living here on an extension of stay, based on retirement.  May be different for a tourist visa holder.  Came here in 2013 with home country DL and IDP. then after 3 months went to a local medical clinic and for 60 baht obtained a medical certificate, without an examination mind you, then with my letter from immigration (500 baht) should b free, off to the lands and traffic dept.

Colour test, reaction test, no video, no driving test and after being photographed I was issued a two year, note, two years,  motor cycle and motor vehicle license.  These are separate and if I did not hold a motorcycle license from my home country and have it included on the IDP, then I would have had to watch the video and do a driving test for the that particular license. After two years and paying the required fees, which was the same as Thai nationals, I was issued with two, 5 year licenses.  This was undertaken in Udon Thani. :wai:

Not really  the only difference is you have your 5 year licence, we both probably went to the same clinic  and carried out the same process in Udon, however the issuing officer under the hospital ( you know the one ) did question why I was applying for two licences, he said he could do it on one but he gave me two anyway.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Half a day is optimistic.  But then, whilst your time may be worthless, I can assure you, mine is not.

Nonsense, it took me a couple of hours at most, somebody else posted a quick turnaround earlier in this thread. It may be "optimistic" for you but that is certainly not the case for all. 

9 hours ago, Keesters said:

Need to be resident to obtain IDP or country license is I think you'll find an EU requirement and applies to all countries in the EU. Roll on Brexit when we can make up our own mind about such things.

An IDP is only valid in Thailand for 90 days. Best to get a Thai one.

Why go on an off topic rant about the EU? In any event you could hardly be more wrong. Th International Driving Permit was introduced in 1926 and was revised in 1949 - well before the EU was formed. In fact members of EU states do not need one to drive in other EU states, which is one of the benefits of membership.

"When we can make our own mind about such things?" Utter nonsense, it is the government of the country where a visitor wishes to drive that makes their mind up about what is required in their country, how is that beyond your understanding?

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

Half a day is optimistic.  But then, whilst your time may be worthless, I can assure you, mine is not.

You can't spare half a day (realistic not optimistic) out of a 5 year period. I call BS on that one.

15 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Why go on an off topic rant about the EU? In any event you could hardly be more wrong. Th International Driving Permit was introduced in 1926 and was revised in 1949 - well before the EU was formed. In fact members of EU states do not need one to drive in other EU states, which is one of the benefits of membership.

"When we can make our own mind about such things?" Utter nonsense, it is the government of the country where a visitor wishes to drive that makes their mind up about what is required in their country, how is that beyond your understanding?

The date of introduction of IDPs is irrelevant. The EU has dictated later that member states cannot issue them to their nationals who reside overseas. I know that citizens of member states do not need  IDPs to drive in other member states. Thanks for that well known, off topic, piece of info.

You also seems to misunderstand the use of "we". "We" as used above refers to the British people represented by our government and refers to the issue of British IDPs to British residents overseas which was allowable until the EU interfered with our sovereignty.

56 minutes ago, Keesters said:

The date of introduction of IDPs is irrelevant. The EU has dictated later that member states cannot issue them to their nationals who reside overseas. I know that citizens of member states do not need  IDPs to drive in other member states. Thanks for that well known, off topic, piece of info.

You also seems to misunderstand the use of "we". "We" as used above refers to the British people represented by our government and refers to the issue of British IDPs to British residents overseas which was allowable until the EU interfered with our sovereignty.

You seem to be confusing the geographical area and countries of Europe with the European Union. The regulations surrounding IDP's are enshrined in a European agreement known as the Geneva Convention. It is that convention, from 1968, amended in 2011 which carries the clause:

• driving licences issued by a Contracting Party shall be recognised in the territory of another Contracting Party until this territory becomes the place of normal residence of their holder;

I fully understood your use of the word "we". 

Membership of the EU does not and will not have any bearing on our rights and obligations as a "Contracting Party" under the existing agreements on IDP's.

Now do you understand?

And don't bother coming back to the (off) topic of the EU unless you are able to quote the Directive covering IDP's, which you won't be able to because there is no such thing.

On 9/14/2017 at 7:59 AM, Keesters said:

Need to be resident to obtain IDP or country license is I think you'll find an EU requirement and applies to all countries in the EU. Roll on Brexit when we can make up our own mind about such things.

An IDP is only valid in Thailand for 90 days. Best to get a Thai one.

No, UK requirement, not EU. So you have made up your mind already, but maybe you can roll back Brexit and get your IDP in the UK.

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

"The EU has dictated later that member states cannot issue them to their nationals who reside overseas. "

Not true.

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, UK requirement, not EU. So you have made up your mind already, but maybe you can roll back Brexit and get your IDP in the UK.

Once your mind is made up with BS it won't listen to any nonsense like truth or facts, but will just blow hot air in the hope that a) nobody will notice and B) people will think their original nonsense is the truth.

IDP's only last one year and a hassle getting a new one every year. I got one first time i came to Thailand but was never asked for it - only home country licence. When i got my Thai licence just needed home licence again (may not be normal, but that was my experience!).

21 hours ago, stevenl said:

I'll continue to believe what I know to be true. You can believe in what you like. I've spent far too long in communication with RAC an AA over this to bother to argue with you anymore.

21 hours ago, stevenl said:

"The EU has dictated later that member states cannot issue them to their nationals who reside overseas. "

Not true.

I'll continue to believe what I know to be true. You can believe in what you like. I've spent far too long in communication with RAC an AA over this to bother to argue with you anymore.

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

Here's a link to THE truth on this subject, the Geneva Convention on IDP's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

If the RAC or AA  told you that the EU had any part in changing the regulations or law, then they were wrong.

Here's a link to the EU site, where you may find all of its Directives, Regulations, Decisions, Recommendations and Opinions.

https://europa.eu/european-union/eu-law/legal-acts_en

If you follow the ling to the EU site and search "International Driving Permit" you will find nothing.

You are quite right not to argue any more as you cannot offer anything to substantiate your argument, however it would be rather civil of you to check out the truth and admit your honest mistake once you have done so.

On 9/16/2017 at 8:29 AM, Keesters said:

You believe incorrect. I know I have a valid DL from a EU country, and know many others in the same situation. And yes, often renewed quite recently.

You're wrong.

If you want the truth you have to open your mind, that is how we found out the world is not flat and many other basics.

On 15/09/2017 at 1:19 PM, stevenl said:

If you have a UK driving licence it must have a UK address.

However if you have a valid U.K. Licence you can get a UK IDP sent to any address (Thailand included), 

FWIW the green paper licence is still valid, as long as you haven't changed your address and are still under 70. You have no need to get a photocard licence.

from the AA website.

• The cost is £8.50 per permit – the statutory charge of £5.50 plus £3 postal application processing fee.
  • Overseas mail – you need to enclose a self-addressed envelope, no stamp. For permits to be returned to an overseas address, an additional postage fee of £7 (or a courier fee of £27) is payable. A signature may be required for items returned to an address outside Europe, the USA and Canada.

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

However if you have a valid U.K. Licence you can get a UK IDP sent to any address (Thailand included), 

FWIW the green paper licence is still valid, as long as you haven't changed your address and are still under 70. You have no need to get a photocard licence.

from the AA website.

Again: UK requirements.

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

from the AA website.

The AA do indeed have a service where they send IDP's overseas but the regulations state that it may only be issued (in the case of a UK issuer) to somebody who is resident in the UK, as previously detailed.

24 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

The AA do indeed have a service where they send IDP's overseas but the regulations state that it may only be issued (in the case of a UK issuer) to somebody who is resident in the UK, as previously detailed.

Actually not the AA does not ask for proof of residency nor have I seen your "rule" anywhere.

However

The requirement is that you have to be a U.K. Licence holder. You have to be Resident to renew your licence, and that you have to tell the licence authority if you move and You can’t register your new (non U.K. )address on your British driving licence.

So yes, if you decide to comply and tell the DVLA of your change of residence, your licence will no longer be registered. 

But if you don't/didn't tell the DVLA the AA will happily issue an IDP.

49 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Actually not the AA does not ask for proof of residency nor have I seen your "rule" anywhere.

However

The requirement is that you have to be a U.K. Licence holder. You have to be Resident to renew your licence, and that you have to tell the licence authority if you move and You can’t register your new (non U.K. )address on your British driving licence.

So yes, if you decide to comply and tell the DVLA of your change of residence, your licence will no longer be registered. 

But if you don't/didn't tell the DVLA the AA will happily issue an IDP.

I didn't say the AA ask for proof of residency, I agreed with your comment that the AA have a service to send IDP's abroad, hence my comment "The AA do indeed have a service......."

I personally do not have a rule. There is, however, a clause in the international agreement for IDP's that states:

an International Driving Permit shall only be issued by the Contracting Party in whose territory the holder has their normal residence........

This, and other parts of the agreement may be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

Another contributor to this thread has repeated that neither the AA nor the RAC will issue him an IDP because he is not resident in the UK.

Archived