Pattaya tourism booming as TAT rep announces cunning plan for more success in 2018 - get more "hi-end" women to come

webfact

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Bare faced lies accompanied by figures plucked straight from thin air. Pattaya is as empty as I have ever seen it. If it such a booming time, why are so many bars and restaurants out of business and the others half empty?

I would challenge this dumb cow to provide a shred of evidence to substantiate her PR focused BS.

I agree, I read a post about three days ago from a Thai who represents businesses etc in the area, he said it's as flat as a pancake & pining all hope on the Russians saving the day next year !!!

She's in cloud cuckoo land if she think's "high-end" women would sink so low as to come to a place like Pattaya..

they will go & do their shopping in places like Singapore or Japan who entice them in with real incentives to spend!

Funny article. Now that we have lost the high end tourists, due to a dozen things we have done wrong, and another dozen problems we have not addressed, or bothered to fix, let us again try to attract them.

Again, this is a situation where nobody is attempting to get to the root of the problem. Of course, in Thai society, it is not particularly popular to look within for the source of the problem. I think perhaps a few decades from now, they will have tourism classes at university, where they will discuss how Thailand lost the golden egg of Western tourism. Those tourists, unlike most Chinese tourists, spent anywhere from $100 a day, to over $2,000 a day. They brought real money into the country, and in exchange, were treated with utter and complete disregard, scammed, disrespected, and abused. Eventually, most said no more. Thailand thought the country was something very special, and that nobody would ever say no, or find alternative places to visit. The fact is that there are countless other spots, many in this region, that offer better service, more expertise in food and beverage (especially wine service and selection at fair prices, which rich tourists demand), reasonable import duties to sustain a luxury goods market, better training, and far better english skills. Thailand simply lost sight of the big picture, and had very little vision, with regard to big spending tourists, who need to be catered to, instead of scorned.  

So, what happened? The Western tourists started to decline in number, and the genius minds at the TAT decided it was time to "lure" the Chinese. They came. They came in droves. But, they did not spend much money. Hotels, restaurants, gift shops, jewelers, galleries, spas, massage shops, bars, and countless other businesses suffered, and will continue to suffer from this extreme myopia, on the part of the officials in charge of tourism. Oh well. Can't say they were not warned. Zero baht tourists are perhaps the majority who visit Thailand now. Sure, they spend some money in restaurants, and in 7/11. But, that is about it, for some of the super low budget Chinese tours. Not many rich Chinese are not visiting Thailand, for a dozen good reasons. They have too many other options.

There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract the high quality tourists. The very first thing would be to repeal the anti fareng wine bill, that was passed by a few very corrupt senators way back when, to protect an anemic, fabulously low quality local wine industry. They are losing billions of dollars a year in revenue, that would be had from a 100% wine duty, instead of 460%. The five star hotels would have major wine events, and the entire industry would flourish here. But again, the lack of vision, combined with a naive, surly, silly, churlish, and ignorant sense of nationalism, bites the country in the butt. And again, who is the loser? The Thai people. 

It is a real shame, as I find most Thai people to be quite lovely, friendly, warm, helpful and fun to be around. I am sure many feel the same way. But, unfortunately they are cursed with a government that is incompetent, myopic, non-visionary, indifferent, and reckless beyond imagination.

Little P. and the TAT. Leading Thailand backwards at an astonishing and alarming pace.

9 minutes ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

So the low end should stop coming and watch their tourism numbers tank. 

The "low end", whatever that means is probably an insignificant component in tourism to Thailand as a whole and Pattaya in particular.

If it was even possible to stop the "low end" coming, it would make almost zero difference overall.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Bare faced lies accompanied by figures plucked straight from thin air. Pattaya is as empty as I have ever seen it. If it such a booming time, why are so many bars and restaurants out of business and the others half empty?

I would challenge this dumb cow to provide a shred of evidence to substantiate her PR focused BS.

I have not been to Pattaya for at least 3 years but the friends I have who have gone all say it is dead except for the horrific traffic congestion due to piss poor roads and the increase in fees to play golf.

I used to go and stay in Pattaya for a month or two each year just to play golf.. No more

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Funny article. Now that we have lost the high end tourists, due to a dozen things we have done wrong, and another dozen problems we have not addressed, or bothered to fix, let us again try to attract them.

The five star hotels would have major wine events, and the entire industry would flourish here. , who is the loser? The Thai people. 

It is a real shame, as I find most Thai people to be quite lovely, friendly, warm, helpful and fun to be around. I am sure many feel the same way. But, unfortunately they are cursed with a government that is incompetent, myopic, non-visionary, indifferent, and reckless beyond imagination.

Just a few points I dispute.

Re Pattaya, there never were any "high end" tourists, despite having a load of golf courses. The infrastructure has always been so bad, no real "hi end" tourist would ever visit. They go to places like Mauritius and Dubai.

For the rest of Thailand, "hi end" mainly stay in Bkk and a few, very few beach resorts, like the one in Railay.

Sorry, but saying that if hotels had wine events it would bring in large numbers of "hi end" tourists to drink expensive plonk that they can buy back home without 100% tax is a bit over reaching, IMO.

The vast, vast majority of Thais are completely untouched by the tourist industry, in any capacity, so a few more tourists in 5* hotels is completely irrelevant to them.

Those friendly Thais could have had a good government, but instead they elected the most corrupt politician in the history of LOS. The rest followed that choice.

6 minutes ago, 727Sky said:

I have not been to Pattaya for at least 3 years but the friends I have who have gone all say it is dead except for the horrific traffic congestion due to piss poor roads and the increase in fees to play golf.

I used to go and stay in Pattaya for a month or two each year just to play golf.. No more

Yes indeed, but due to zero planning and greed, not the roads per se. Allow unrestricted building of accommodation on roads already congested, insufficient water, minimal sewage infrastructure and drainage, no law enforcement of parking and traffic laws and we get Pattaya.

Building several shopping malls at the end of congested roads wasn't a very good idea either.

9 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Single women? Most women hate Pattaya let alone want to visit.

My friend's wife left him stranded in Pattaya taken all his cards etc and flew back to LHR after her 2nd day in Sin City.Poor chap still recovering?

Number 1 rule for farangs. NEVER take the wife or GF to Pattaya. They can see the look on their face and that's it.

Good that it keeps the bagpackers away though.

30 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I agree, I read a post about three days ago from a Thai who represents businesses etc in the area, he said it's as flat as a pancake & pining all hope on the Russians saving the day next year !!!

She's in cloud cuckoo land if she think's "high-end" women would sink so low as to come to a place like Pattaya..

they will go & do their shopping in places like Singapore or Japan who entice them in with real incentives to spend!

a Thai who represents businesses etc in the area, he said it's as flat as a pancake & pining all hope on the Russians saving the day next year !!!

Sure, build all those high end places because the Russians will keep coming and spending forever 5555555555555555555555555555555555555555

The greedies deserve all the trouble they are in.

Hopefully they all go bankrupt and the ensuing glut of rooms will drive the cost of accommodation down to 1970 rates ( the golden age of Pattaya ).

6 hours ago, webfact said:

. . . no one mentioned Pattaya in terms of "Sin City" with any notion of promoting the resort's nightlife conspicuous by its absence.

Yes . . . so strange that Suladda didn't mention Pattaya's main attractions . . . those for 'low-end' males.

Now, each prospective lady visitor will need to ask herself: "Mmmm . . . am I 'high-end' or 'low-end'? Better ask the boyfriend.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Same for Chiang Mai.  The common statement from some business people and Thais I know who work in CM is, "mai mee farang", the farang crowd is disappearing to be replaced by Chinese tourists who simply are not the same with their spending.

The big expensive hotels near the C M night bazzar are seeing loads of Chinese tour groups on big buses. None of them seem to be shopping around town though. Loi Kroh Rd is pretty dead.

32 minutes ago, 727Sky said:

Strange how a place can be dead yet chock a block full of traffic at the same time.

I get the impression that a significant number of replies on this thread come from individuals who never quite set foot outside LK Metro and the immediate area. They seem to be oblivious of the high end hotels at Pattaya's North End and which provide customers for eg Central Festival. As for better class women visiting the area, there are often package groups staying at the Avani (formerly Marriott) and if they are there then not just a one-off.

1 hour ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

So the low end should stop coming and watch their tourism numbers tank

Absolutely. Nearly everyone - Thais and foreigners alike - regards Pattaya as a town that has sunk pretty well to the depths, as a result of (1) a once beautiful beach that has now to be degreased each morning; (2) a welcoming town - with lots of scope for wholesome Thai entertainment - that has now become a virtual brothel along its beach frontage and a Walking Street that is now famous for all the wrong reasons and (3) its easy access from the capital. Add greed to that mix and you're looking at a disaster that will only get worse, until that greed is removed . . . impossible, since it's now a part of the place.

Can ANYONE, in their right mind, imagine a group of 'high-end', i.e. respectable, ladies enjoying an evening, spent in Walking Street? The TAT are talking out of their rectums and not for the first time. Like the rest of the so-called 'informed' bosses, the PM's shower included, all they really achieve is a cheap sound-bite that most people will quickly see through and ignore.

30 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I get the impression that a significant number of replies on this thread come from individuals who never quite set foot outside LK Metro and the immediate area. They seem to be oblivious of the high end hotels at Pattaya's North End and which provide customers for eg Central Festival. As for better class women visiting the area, there are often package groups staying at the Avani (formerly Marriott) and if they are there then not just a one-off.

All such threads about Pattaya only deal with the bar areas. None of us give a monkey's about people that stay in the big resorts, or indeed the big resorts themselves.

It's surely evident when people talk about Pattaya being "dead", we ain't talking about the vast majority of the city, which is far from "dead".

26 minutes ago, Ossy said:

a once beautiful beach that has now to be degreased each morning

that has now become a virtual brothel along its beach frontage

LOL. Not been in Pattaya long then?

It used to be a great place with barbeers along most of the frontage, but unfortunately most of them have been removed in the past years. It is now just a sad shadow of its past greatness.

"Brothel"??????

I guess you have never been in one if you think a barbeer in any way resembles a brothel.

BTW, when was the beach beautiful, in your opinion? Hasn't been such since the 1980s, IMO, at the latest.

Pattaya has a reputation which is known worldwide. It would be near impossible to change it.

Can you imagine some lady at the Womens Institute or the Conservative club announcing she was off for a holiday to Pattaya? Why would she want to mix with the "low end males" which are the vast bulk of tourists in Pattaya? These guys arrive with fat wallets and TAT would do well to show them a bit of respect. Most of them will spend more than Hyacinth Bucket ever will. 

TAT would be better picking a different resort and trying to sell that to these "high end ladies". It will take investment and time to get it going but it would be possible.

Archived