Metaformin

nausea

Just thought I'd share my experience. Recently I've been taking Metaformin to reduce prediabetes blood sugar levels and the weight has started falling off. It seems to work (for weight loss) by reducing appetite but I read it has beneficial effects on the metabolism which might also be a factor. It's been in use for a long time and is considered safe (unless you have liver, kidney, or heart problems). In Thailand it's available over the counter and is dirt cheap. 

The disadvantages are that, initially, it often causes diarrhea, nausea, and stomach pain, but these wear off as the body adjusts. For this reason it's usually introduced in graduated doses, and it might take two/three weeks or more to get up to a full dose, depending on your reaction. I, personally, had no problems apart from some minor diarrhea, and went on to a full dose almost immediately.

Interestingly, like aspirin, it's based on a natural product (French lilac) and seems to be developing a similar "wonder drug" reputation; it's now being touted for it's life extending properties.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in my reply.

I wasn't following any protocol that I'm consciously aware of.

I was taking 1000mg metformin with meals, usually 2000mg, but to a maximum of 3000mg, daily.

I've since seen a doctor and reduced the dosage to 1000mg daily, 500mg with breakfast and 500mg with dinner.

The new regime seems to be working OK, from a blood sugar level point of view, but the fact I've lost weight, changed my diet, and exercise more is probably helping.

Archived