Police again extorting foreigners that dont carry passport

atyclb

1 hour ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

OP says they refused to allow him to pay at police station.  I'm sure if he had insisted they would have had to allow him to pay it at the police station, but this sort of 'persuasion' when in a position of authority is tantamount to extortion.  If they didn't then they would either have to let him go or arrest him, and if it were the latter the fine would likely be very low or non-existent (assuming he could produce his passport and was not on overstay).

i politely and firmly told multiple cops i will take care of fine-offense at police station. i told them "i fully accept responsibility and want to do the right thing" . i actually prefer to pay a fine that may be more than the extortion amt so they dont get cash in the pocket

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, atyclb said:

ended up giving 500 baht to buy cola at 7 11.   they could have dragged it on for hours.  i was a passenger in tuk tuk.

Congratulations on caving in to corruption.  That will put a stop to it, 'eh?

28 minutes ago, tonray said:

Yes...I agree...but it might have sounded a bit better had he said "are you black  ?"

i dont think people use the terms negro or coloured-colored in a derogatory sense. not every country in the world is besieged with political correctness

28 minutes ago, tonray said:

Yes...I agree...but it might have sounded a bit better had he said "are you black  ?"

You mean "excuse me for asking but are you a person of colour? and when I say colour I mean no offence to any minorities, sexual or racial"     nice PC version for you

3 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

A copy of the first page and visa/entry stamp is more than sufficient.

I would have refused to pay a fine - as i have in the past.

Be polite but firm - they would've backed down

this happened to me 3 times before, twice on asoke and once near kaosan road and they backed down seeing passport copy and id from prominent university. that was before the army took over and they likely figured not waste time with me and look for an easier fish to fry. currently they are hurting due to the army

1 hour ago, Thian said:

In Nana they did this to the negro's...so my question is: Are you a negro or African?

Not only from a different century with an antiquated term, erroneous as well with your question... 

:coffee1:

Negro |ˈnēgrōdated, often offensive

noun (pl. Negroesmember of a dark-skinned group of peoples originally native to Africa south of the Sahara.

9 minutes ago, iReason said:

Not only from a different century with an antiquated term, erroneous as well with your question... 

noun (pl. Negroesmember of a dark-skinned group of peoples originally native to Africa south of the Sahara.

you may want to lecture to the black rappers that constantly use the very derogatory N word

likely the majority of countries in the world are not required to study / keep up with PC of some countries latest dictionary definitions

Where to keep PP while swimming?

On the sun-bed to be stolen or in a platic bag in your budgie smuggler, tucked in the grundle of meat and two veg?

If stopped Police can see my passport copies, as approved previously again and again and in articles quoting Pol. Lt. General Nathathorn Prousoontorn. Otherwise they can deal with issuing fines at the police station and my multiple deep Wais.

My passport stays in a locked hotel style digital keypad safe at home !

8 minutes ago, atyclb said:

you may want to lecture to the black rappers that constantly use the very derogatory N word

You may want to tone down your practice of deflection.

8 minutes ago, atyclb said:

likely the majority of countries in the world are not required to study / keep up with PC of some countries latest dictionary definitions

Likely, the majority of educated people in the world, are not overly concerned with simplistic, marginalizing labels and buzz terms...

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

ended up giving 500 baht to buy cola at 7 11.   they could have dragged it on for hours.  i was a passenger in tuk tuk.

This is where it's good to have your lawyer on speed dial. My lawyer told me never to carry my passport, and if asked to see it by police, tell them that it is at my lawyer's office. Why never carry your passport? Police have been known to keep them to extort money, and they've also been known to lose them. This is from very experienced lawyers in Pattaya who have had to deal with the above situations on behalf of clients.

I should have mentioned too - even if you have it, don't show it - show a copy instead.

1 hour ago, Thai Ron said:

A copy of the first page and visa/entry stamp is more than sufficient.

I would have refused to pay a fine - as i have in the past.

Be polite but firm - they would've backed down

You don't pay fines in the street - you pay them at the police station. 

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

How exactly are they extorting money? Ask you to pay an on the spot fine? Do they pressure you somehow besides of saying that at the police station you would have to pay 5000thb?

You have to carry your passport, if you don't carry it you can probably be fined, i don't know for how much, but you would of course pay this at the police station.

By asking for 5000 Baht on a non existent law .

If the Police want to see your PP , they can take you to the Police station and once you have shown it to them and everything's in order, they will let you go 

The Police in this instance were just looking for an excuse to get 5000 Baht

This is where it's good to have your lawyer on speed dial. My lawyer told me never to carry my passport, and if asked to see it by police, tell them that it is at my lawyer's office. Why never carry your passport? Police have been known to keep them to extort money, and they've also been known to lose them. This is from very experienced lawyers in Pattaya who have had to deal with the above situations on behalf of clients.

I should have mentioned too - even if you have it, don't show it - show a copy instead.

Best reason ever for not carrying passport.

58 minutes ago, tropo said:

My lawyer  ? She's at home shredding papaya.. Can't help here

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

By asking for 5000 Baht on a non existent law .

If the Police want to see your PP , they can take you to the Police station and once you have shown it to them and everything's in order, they will let you go 

The Police in this instance were just looking for an excuse to get 5000 Baht

I'm hoping the op got a receipt for the 500 THB he paid and will post that receipt on the forum so that we can see for ourselves what law the authorities claim he broke.  Op?  If you don't have a receipt, then close the thread - we're beating a dead horse.  If you do have a receipt, let's see if you were taken for a ride, ie,  does the receipt match the alleged offense.  
Otherwise you paid 500 THB not to be delayed or inconvenienced, and you paid it. Myself?  Retire - not a lot to do and nowhere particular to go.  Might have been fun spending the day trying to get the BIB to issue a receipt to me for not carrying a passport. That would simply have made my day! 

5 hours ago, atyclb said:

i could understand if i had actually done something wrong and needed a fast way out. police have lost a lot of turf to the army and seem to be hurting. all those night street bars are gone and rental income. army also controls many other businesses now

Correct. The authorities have ruined parts of Bangkok and have started on Pattaya.

5 hours ago, iReason said:

Ongeveer 53.700 resultaten (0,69 seconden) 

Vertaling van neger-

Nederlands
Engels
neger-, zwart {bn.}
Negro

neger, zwarte {zn.}
Negro

I only know that Nicker is offencive so i used the right word...

2 hours ago, connda said:

I'm hoping the op got a receipt for the 500 THB he paid and will post that receipt on the forum so that we can see for ourselves what law the authorities claim he broke.  Op?  If you don't have a receipt, then close the thread - we're beating a dead horse.  If you do have a receipt, let's see if you were taken for a ride, ie,  does the receipt match the alleged offense.  
Otherwise you paid 500 THB not to be delayed or inconvenienced, and you paid it. Myself?  Retire - not a lot to do and nowhere particular to go.  Might have been fun spending the day trying to get the BIB to issue a receipt to me for not carrying a passport. That would simply have made my day! 

yeah right a receipt for extortion. i could have went that road also then at 4AM who knows how much longer they would have detained me at a street corner. 

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If it's a published law it's not extortion.

If you are a tourist, indeed you need to carry your passport all the time.

If you are registered as living in Thaland, having been noted in a tambien baan, or even having obtained the Thai pink ID-card, the police might order you to show your passport in any police station.

Must be a written order!

Don't need to carry your passport all the time.

Advice from a public prosecutors.

14 minutes ago, hansnl said:

If you are a tourist, indeed you need to carry your passport all the time.

If you are registered as living in Thaland, having been noted in a tambien baan, or even having obtained the Thai pink ID-card, the police might order you to show your passport in any police station.

Must be a written order!

Don't need to carry your passport all the time.

Advice from a public prosecutors.

Complete bull. Stop spreading fear. BS BS BS

19 hours ago, pumpjack said:

take your smart phone out

start filming the scene

do not be cheeky or get aggresive

just politely refuse 

tell them you have not broke law and you will post the video to youtube

they will not be too long in letting you go

Oh not a bit aggressive or cheeky  filming them  eh?  I would never support your post .  No one should 

Archived