Police again extorting foreigners that dont carry passport

atyclb

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, amvet said:

I carry a copy and all my immigration records on my smart phone not really a problem for most people in this century to keep copies of everything on your phone.

That should work, and I do that, too since it's practically no effort.  But I do feel more comfortable having either the plastic card made up or at least some paper photocopies as well.  Just old school I guess.

Have lived in Isaan for more than 12 years and that includes travel to all compass parts of the kingdom. I typically never show my PP as I never carry it anyway, unless I visit high-tourist areas.  Instead, if someone asks, I simply whip out my Thai drivers license and that usually will suffice.  That said, I have been carrying a color/colour copy of the photo page of my PP after LOS turned to the dark side May 2014.  Gotta admit that after reading this thread I will make a copy of my current visa stamps PP page as well.

The truly sad part is the kingdom has been slowly sinking into the abyss, post-May 2014, so we can all expect more and more similar 'extortion' episodes in the future, especially now that beloved King Bhumibol is no longer with us.  

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

This article does NOT specify whether or not those detained did or didn't have photocopies with them, and sounds sort of "tabloid news" in the 1st place.  You really need to quit taking half-truths and sketchy reporting and extrapolating them to fit the claim you're trying to make. 

Cops have tremendous power over people. They can just "find" a bag of heroin in your pocket. Now how you like your chances?? 

Ofcourse it's a risk for them to behave like this too but hey....

Anyway, corrupt cops that abuse their power by exploiting innocent people have a special place in hell. Frankly, they deserve to get executed for treason as they abuse and betray the power that was trusted upon them by the people of this nation.

I understand they need to make a living, but they could go find some actual traffic violators for that.. There's plenty.

Meanwhile they are extorting innocents, real murderers, rapists, child molesters are walking free..

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "kill cops" or whatever. I'm just saying that cops that behave like this should go to trial / court and be tried for treason and if found guilty they would possibly face the death penalty. I'm no lawyer or expert in Thai law

In most circumstances- a copy of passport and visa should work; however. some cops will insist on detaining you at the station if you do not have your passport and requiring someone bring it to them or they may require a donation to allow you to leave.  If going out after dark and in the tourist areas- I always carry the original passport to avoid all the hassle. 

On 9/16/2017 at 1:49 PM, jackdd said:

How exactly are they extorting money? Ask you to pay an on the spot fine? Do they pressure you somehow besides of saying that at the police station you would have to pay 5000thb?

You have to carry your passport, if you don't carry it you can probably be fined, i don't know for how much, but you would of course pay this at the police station.

You have to carry your passport,  incorrect information  i am sure someone will be able to quote  last year sometime  police chief saying a copy is ok 

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

The law actually states you have to prove you are in the country legally.  Which means a valid visa.  Which is only in your passport if you are a foreigner like most of us are.  Some police have accepted a copy, some haven't.  You can argue all you want, but the law is clear as mud.  As has been discussed ad nauseam over the years.

If you want to be 100% safe, carry your passport.  I don't, but I understand the consequences.  Which are minimal.

P.S. when traveling outside my area, I always take my passport with me.

We can also show a copy of the stamped visa in the passport...but if Thailand really thinks that's important than why not give us a copy of it at the airport?? 

Myself i have no idea where i can make a copy of it...i bring a picture of the visa with me in the phone...never carry my passport unless i go to the bank..

Thanks for share. But....  

1.1 Foreigners may take photos of police officers who do the search before searching begins.

Is Legal? Are you sure? Can I take photo of the "police" ?

I am 100% positive you may take a picture

Here is a link from bangkok post

It says we may take a picture before they conduct a search.

I keep the previous link and the link below on my phone at all times

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-news/458810/bangkok-tourist-shakedown-police-harrassment-video

IMG_0149.PNG.7e8fc8d1dbc57e9e47b2ab2a7b7fbc7e.PNG

1 hour ago, tropo said:

No way! None of the ticket money paid at the police station goes to the officers. Zero. It's their job and they have a quota. If your theory was correct they'd be giving out 10x the tickets they give out now.

If they did receive 95% of the money, even sharing it around, they'd be so rich they wouldn't need to extort money on the side.

At the time they tried to extort me for traffic offenses they had plain clothes people nearby to handle the money.

It's fact. Go ask a policeman. I did after I was told this, as I thought the same as you, and it is 100% correct. The remaining 5% goes to the government.

For all that say a 'passport must be carried'. If Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri says it's Friday,  then it's Friday.

A police spokesman has said that foreigners in Thailand are not required to carry their passports with them at all times, according to reports.

The statement follows reports of tourists and expats in central Bangkok being extorted by police for not carrying passports.

Asian Correspondent ran a story on the  ‘Bangkok shakedown’ last week, which was followed the next day by a notably similar story in the Sydney Morning Herald.

The Bangkok Post reported Tuesday that police were looking into the matter after the media attention.

Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri was responding to an article published by The Sydney Morning Herald on Dec 12, which said a growing number of foreign tourists are being stopped, searched and harassed by Thai officials on busy Sukhumvit road.

The issue was also raised with Thailand tourism authorities by British Ambassador Mark Kent:

Read more at https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/12/thailand-police-foreigners-not-required-to-carry-passports-at-all-times/#PSQGjI5SxSlURyUS.99

This subject has been done to death. The simple fact is that it is OK to show a picture of your Passport until some cop refuses to accept it and then forces you to the station.Then you deal with the situation.   Until the Chief of Police puts it in writing that the police will accept a copy of your passport- I believe nothing that a policeman says is fact. Their sole function is to generate income and every now and then  protect the public.

On 9/16/2017 at 4:10 AM, tonray said:

Yes...I agree...but it might have sounded a bit better had he said "are you black  ?"

Many people are black...Dravidians, Aborigines...Negro specifically addresses those of African decent...oh, and the word Negro is in the Oxford English dictionary if that's your complaint...just not the PC version.

35 minutes ago, mpyre said:

Many people are black...Dravidians, Aborigines...Negro specifically addresses those of African decent...oh, and the word Negro is in the Oxford English dictionary if that's your complaint...just not the PC version.

The point is no-one in the English speaking world has seriously used the word "negro" to refer to black people since around the 1960's or 70's.

The poster who used this term seemed to have been frozen in that era and only now resuscitated, like Austin Powers...

2 hours ago, mpyre said:

and many are fools too. 

update. i recounted my story to a thai friend (uni grad management at japan international company) that is up on social media. thai people are reporting tuk tuks apparently working together with police to extort money. they try the same if thai does not have national id card.

3 minutes ago, balo said:

I only carry my Thai drivers license and never been stopped after 7 years living in both Bangkok and Pattaya. I think OP is just walking around in the wrong neigborhood.

I've never been asked either. But have a friend living on Thong Lor who has been stopped many times. Corrupt police.

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

I do not believe this post.

At that area they would be Lumpini or Thonglor Police for a start

Give me the Policeman's  number & I will check

you may be 100% correct but when i asked them they said phaya thai. easy for them to lie.

exact location as i sent it to a hi-so thai friend during the ordeal was intersection of petburi road and withayu road.  checkpoint was on withayu road just before intersection.  i thought it wise to have a text dialogue with a highly regarded thai friend that included sending my location.

3 hours ago, sinbin said:

It's fact. Go ask a policeman. I did after I was told this, as I thought the same as you, and it is 100% correct. The remaining 5% goes to the government.

LOL> ask a policeman? So you're trying to tell me that a policeman told you that 95% of all fines paid at the police station are given to the police officers on top of their salary as a bonus, but because they share them they go out and extort money to make extra. Seriously, that policeman was telling you lies.

Does anyone have experience of a photo copy of your passport pages on your phone being acceptable? I should think that with the smartphone evolution almost all foreigners would be able to store a copy on their phone?
It would seem like a sensible solution to me. Also having a copy on your e mail which could be accessed via computer or phone. 
Comments please.

38 minutes ago, tropo said:

So you're trying to tell me that a policeman told you that 95% of all fines paid at the police station are given to the police officers on top of their salary as a bonus,

No I'm saying the policeman that issues the fine ticket receives 95% of the tickets fine. Where it's paid is irrespective. If you can prove he was telling lies then I'll gladly give 5,000 Baht to my local wat. If he isn't lying then you just make a public apology. I know 100% that my money's safe. Now away and ask a policeman. May be Craigt3365 can go with you as he seems to support you in calling my informant a liar.

38 minutes ago, tropo said:

but because they share them they go out and extort money to make extra.

That I never said. They're your words

22 minutes ago, Ashto said:

Here's the public statement made by the Immigration Commander the last time this issue arose

Yes, I was looking for his one as well. It's a great document, although a bit old now, but I carry a copy with me at all times. At the time I asked TV to get a Thai version, as the English version might not carry much weight on street level. Unfortunately we don't have a Thai version yet. 

Archived