Police again extorting foreigners that dont carry passport

atyclb

9 hours ago, bleble said:

HAHAHA, this one made me laugh:

"commonly profiling your reaction"

As if any Thai was able to do this or even understand what it means !!!

You've vastly underestimated the RTP and Thai Immigration...   they do profile and they profile very well. 

You won't see it, but they walk through the Airport profiling arrivals and stoping and questioning anyone they feel looks or acts suspicious. They do the same thing on the streets of Bangkok. 

Your naiveté is a shining example of how some end up in trouble here... Many Thai's would make someone with your attitude look remarkably below average.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, partington said:

Then what's your explanation for the person who asked you if you'd stepped out of a time machine? You do know Austin Powers, right?

"There's only two things I hate in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch"

Nigel Powers in Goldmember (2002)

Nobody asked me about the timemachine, and even you are too much of a chicken to ask/write me direct words. Boy do i hate cowards who have to use other people's words. I'm straight through sea, call me what you like i can't be bothered,i eat chickens for dinner.

In Holland using the word "blacks = zwarten" is not done, but neger is fine...same in Spanish by the way. And how americans or Brits use the word is up to them. I don't live there and here we are on a Thai forum.

13 minutes ago, Thian said:

Nobody asked me about the timemachine, and even you are too much of a chicken to ask/write me direct words. Boy do i hate cowards who have to use other people's words. I'm straight through sea, call me what you like i can't be bothered,i eat chickens for dinner.

In Holland using the word "blacks = zwarten" is not done, but neger is fine...same in Spanish by the way. And how americans or Brits use the word is up to them. I don't live there and here we are on a Thai forum.

On 9/16/2017 at 2:39 PM, tonray said:

On 9/16/2017 at 2:37 PM, Thian said:

In Nana they did this to the negro's...so my question is: Are you a negro or African?

What 1950's time machine did you just walk out of ?

10 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

At least in the U.S., they don't find the word 'negro' really acceptable either, except among themselves of course.  (Entirely different rules for everyone else naturally...)  Most want you to use "African-American", which I personally refuse to do - unless they're actually native-born Africans who've immigrated - but many, and certainly the media, bend over & do it.

Most of them have about as much connection with African as white yanks have with the countries their ancestors came from ie zero

Indeed, blacks were in America way before the Italians, Irish, Poles etc although not under particularly favourable conditions

By the way, I don't hate the Dutch, who are by far the most tolerant and least hateful people in Europe.  

I quoted that film "Goldmember"  because it is about a spy "Austin Powers" who was frozen in the 1960's and thawed out in the 2000's, and much of its humour derives from the way his attitudes and vocabulary do not fit in at all with modern culture, much like a post referring to "negroes".

The statement about hating the Dutch is a purely humorous one-liner from the film. Its  humour derives from the fact that the first part of the sentence declares the speaker doesn't like intolerance for other cultures, and the second half of his sentence expresses intolerance for another culture. It is made funnier by the fact that the Dutch are a generally well liked and harmless people.

I feel I needed to explain all that because I think poster Thian is a bit out of touch in many ways....

50 minutes ago, Thian said:

Another big internet man... Perhaps you need a thicker skin mate

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You've vastly underestimated the RTP and Thai Immigration...   they do profile and they profile very well. 

You won't see it, but they walk through the Airport profiling arrivals and stoping and questioning anyone they feel looks or acts suspicious. They do the same thing on the streets of Bangkok. 

Your naiveté is a shining example of how some end up in trouble here... Many Thai's would make someone with your attitude look remarkably below average.

And most people would consider someone like you as a suckker it seems !

Open your eyes,stop living in your dreams, your nice wealthy life with a perfect wife and kid might end soon !

If Thailand was a country of efficient smart people it would be called Japan !

They are so good that never before in history the country has been flooded by so much drug and gangsters ! Yes, a country filled with champions in uniform ! I have no respect for nay of them because this is all they deserve, and unlike you I do no need to call a "friend" (how much you paid him?) when I fear for my little arrrseee.

9 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Phayathai? Then what the hell were they doing in Sukhumvit Road, at Nana junction? 

i wrote at checkpoint heading-leaving that area heading toward asoke-petburi. i subsequently clarified an exact location of checkpoint referring to my LINE sms with gps location .   withayu road and petburi

try to read the thread

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

perhaps airport arrivals does indeed have astute well trained profilers but the average cop at a am roadside extortion point would not be in the same league especially if their final plea is some cash to buy a coke at 7 11.

an old buddy that was upper level usa military working with thai military believed the average thai cops concept of profiling farangs was based on body weight. a slim fit farang would likely be using yaba or ice thus maintaining normal body weight.   fxxxing absurd.   i recently got back from a 6 week surfing trip. i ride a 6' 1" board and never been overweight

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Very true. The incipient racism of many contributors here lead them to underestimate many aspects of Thai qualities. More fools them.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

several years ago when i first moved to bkk one day i had the flu and felt terrible, fever, exhausted but went to the local big c complex to eat and do some shopping. i wasnt familiar with the place so i wandered-floated a bit and looking and feeling like crap, slow motion. 2 plainclothes guys claiming to be cops took me to a stairwell to question me. i was thinking maybe they are fake and want to extort me so i told them we go to police station. after telling them what country i am from and about my life and i was sick they smiled and apologized and left.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

while there may be astute capable people as you say it likely doesn't apply to the thugs that conduct the am roadside bribe seeking checkpoints

the other thing that comes to mind is how well the airport immigration can profile the african women and men that end up hooking and dealing drugs. its not likely those people can show they are entering the country to study at a university, or to be employed by a bonafide company or show they have undergraduate degrees or higher. or have some skill/profession that is in high demand, sorry, i guess selling puss . y is in high demand

14 hours ago, Thian said:

Well we are not in the US here and i'm not a Britt or american anyway.  In Holland the word "neger" is the real word for blacks from Africa, not offensive or anything at all...

And when i see young negro's with loud soundmachines on the streets they always play rapmusic which goes about nigga's this and nigga's that so i don't see the issue at all.

It's the same as the Thai calling us farang, some feel offended by it, others not....I don't care at all how they call me as long as it's not HEY BOSS, or YOU YOU YOU.....if they can't say "hello sir" i don't even listen or reply.

in the numerous spanish speaking countries the only term for black is negro.  if you refer to a black person as being black the word is negro.  nothing at all derogatory

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

perhaps airport arrivals does indeed have astute well trained profilers but the average cop at a am roadside extortion point would not be in the same league especially if their final plea is some cash to buy a coke at 7 11.

an old buddy that was upper level usa military working with thai military believed the average thai cops concept of profiling farangs was based on body weight. a slim fit farang would likely be using yaba or ice thus maintaining normal body weight.   fxxxing absurd.   i recently got back from a 6 week surfing trip. i ride a 6' 1" board and never been overweight

Profiling isn't that hard... most of us here can profile people as we walk past them... we can even profile many by the quality and content of their posts here on ThaiVisa.... I've already profiled one poster on this thread as a total tool and will ignore him. 

We have been taught in the West not to trust our instincts just incase we make a mistake and upset someone or allow prejudice to enter the equation, the Thai's have not been taught such political correctness, as such on many occasions I have found that the assumptions of some of my friends in these positions (RTP & Immigration) often fly in the face of political correctness and go against the grain of our thinking as westerners, however, they are often correct to an uncanny level in their assumptions.

As for letting in all the Africans etc... who fill up Nana etc, well, the cynic in me would suggest that this is just good business !...  but realistically, if they are entering the Country legally, with the correct documents, answering questions correctly etc Immigration can't do much about it...

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Profiling isn't that hard... most of us here can profile people as we walk past them... we can even profile many by the quality and content of their posts here on ThaiVisa.... I've already profiled one poster on this thread as a total tool and will ignore him. 

We have been taught in the West not to trust our instincts just incase we make a mistake and upset someone or allow prejudice to enter the equation, the Thai's have not been taught such political correctness, as such on many occasions I have found that the assumptions of some of my friends in these positions (RTP & Immigration) often fly in the face of political correctness and go against the grain of our thinking as westerners, however, they are often correct to an uncanny level in their assumptions.

As for letting in all the Africans etc... who fill up Nana etc, well, the cynic in me would suggest that this is just good business !...  but realistically, if they are entering the Country legally, with the correct documents, answering questions correctly etc Immigration can't do much about it...

i would not care at all about the african males hanging out on sukumwit if they didn't often say "hey man whats up" or "how are you". thats like the starting point of a solicitation of some sort and i know they dont want to invite me for a coffee at starbucks.

i had a discussion with a thai friend that said most thai people just look at the outside to make judgements. one specific example are the kaosan road backpackers that stay at cheap hotels and eat cheap food. thai people perceive them as low class, and other derogatory words but my thai friend knows many of those backpackers are highly intelligent students from good universities and or decent people seeing the world on a budget. she criticizes her own people for being closed minded.

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, it's clear that you are champion knowing everything... but also calling moma when mibs ask your name....

5 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i would not care at all about the african males hanging out on sukumwit if they didn't often say "hey man whats up" or "how are you". thats like the starting point of a solicitation of some sort and i know they dont want to invite me for a coffee at starbucks.

i had a discussion with a thai friend that said most thai people just look at the outside to make judgements. one specific example are the kaosan road backpackers that stay at cheap hotels and eat cheap food. thai people perceive them as low class, and other derogatory words but my thai friend knows many of those backpackers are highly intelligent students from good universities and or decent people seeing the world on a budget. she criticizes her own people for being closed minded.

I quite agree...  My Thai friends also criticize the narrow-mindedness of many of their own country folk. Their criticism of their people, country and the world in general closely resembles that of many of my Western friends who are equally embarrassed at some of the poor judgement, narrow mindedness, idiotic behavior and general downright stupidity of many Westerners..... as often exampled on this forum and again quite recently on this thread...  :1zgarz5:

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I quite agree...  My Thai friends also criticize the narrow-mindedness of many of their own country folk. Their criticism of their people, country and the world in general closely resembles that of many of my Western friends who are equally embarrassed at some of the poor judgement, narrow mindedness, idiotic behavior and general downright stupidity of many Westerners..... as often exampled on this forum and again quite recently on this thread...  :1zgarz5:

Called Moma already ?

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

good luck with that....

Yeah, the embassy isn't gonna' be much help.  If you're not into something you shouldn't be, not on overstay or have some other immigration issue, are carrying the photocopies, and are reasonably cooperative and polite in the rare event that you should ever actually BE "interviewed", you really don't have much to lose any sleep over.   But make a habit of carrying that passport around and lose it or have it lifted, and you'll have some things to keep you occupied for a day or two...  (which could be a problem if you're close to your planned departure date or not in Bangkok).

If you ARE persuaded by the arguments for carrying, make sure you have extra photocopies of EVERYTHING and all the details needed for passport applications written down somewhere with you - they'll be a big help when you go to apply for the replacement passport.   (It's also helpful to review in advance the applicable consular webpages for their replacement passport process, business hours, and requirements.)  Oh, and don't let it be your second time...

have since scanned passport, visa and entry stamp and shrunk it to fit on folded 4 x 6 inch high quality photo paper

it is not realistic to arrest or take every non thai without a passport in their pocket to police station. some bent cops try the tactic to extort money

24 minutes ago, atyclb said:

have since scanned passport, visa and entry stamp and shrunk it to fit on folded 4 x 6 inch high quality photo paper

it is not realistic to arrest or take every non thai without a passport in their pocket to police station. some bent cops try the tactic to extort money

Good to take a pic with your phone in case you lose the copy.  I also put a copy on dropbox.com.  Can access it from anywhere if need be.

On 9/18/2017 at 6:45 AM, sinbin said:
On 9/17/2017 at 10:14 PM, tropo said:

I'm not going to "ask a policeman" about what they do with illegally extorted money

That's not what I asked. You have a terrible habit of twisting what was said to suit your own agenda. I said 'policemen receive 95% of the fine they issue a ticket for'. I asked you to prove the policeman who informed of me this was not telling the truth. Nothing to do with 'police extorting money'.  I made a wager, you won't take it up, even though financially it won't affect you. I'll go as far as to open the wager up to all to prove the policeman was/is lying. Can't be fairer than that. 

You do a lot of twisting. Expecting to have a wager with an anonymous forum member to prove a point is a silly way to make a point here - it ain't going to happen. Not because I think I'm wrong - just because it's a dumb idea. You are 100% wrong though. You don't need to talk to a policeman to find that out - you only need some common sense.

At this point, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Keep your money.

36 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Good to take a pic with your phone in case you lose the copy.  I also put a copy on dropbox.com.  Can access it from anywhere if need be.

i recall one time before i started to show cop the photos on my phone but he said cannot. lucky i had a photocopy. honestly the paper photocopy been in my pocket so long it in pretty ragged shape.

i also have images in my phone and online.

a thai friend said the police are capable of doing anything to hinder and make you uncomfortable. she said if they want they do not need to facilitate you to get original passport as in go with you to room. just let you remain uncomfortable until you just give them cash. now 2 thai friend told me to call them regardless of time and they will personally go to deal with police.

sadly bent cops is a reality in thailand for thais and non thais.

38 minutes ago, tropo said:

You do a lot of twisting. Expecting to have a wager with an anonymous forum member to prove a point is a silly way to make a point here - it ain't going to happen. Not because I think I'm wrong - just because it's a dumb idea. You are 100% wrong though. You don't need to talk to a policeman to find that out - you only need some common sense.

At this point, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Keep your money.

please forgive me for using reason and logic but;  if the cop receives 95% of issued summons value wouldn't they rather take you to the station for a guaranteed 95% return??

52 minutes ago, tropo said:

You are 100% wrong though. You don't need to talk to a policeman to find that out - you only need some common sense.

Tropo you ain't half dumb. 100% wrong am I? 

Under the Article 44 order, the Department of Land Transport will get 5 per cent of each traffic fine and pass on the rest of the fine money to traffic police. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309980

The 95% is issued back to the police irrespective . The unfortunate thing is that  

86 per cent of the 680,000 traffic tickets unpaid over the past seven months, authorities believed it is necessary for the premier to exercise his sweeping power to enforce the law on fine dodgers.

Probably why the police give up on issuing tickets and resort to extortion?

You can apologise now Tropo. Not that you will because your ego is too big.

37 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i recall one time before i started to show cop the photos on my phone but he said cannot. lucky i had a photocopy. honestly the paper photocopy been in my pocket so long it in pretty ragged shape.

i also have images in my phone and online.

a thai friend said the police are capable of doing anything to hinder and make you uncomfortable. she said if they want they do not need to facilitate you to get original passport as in go with you to room. just let you remain uncomfortable until you just give them cash. now 2 thai friend told me to call them regardless of time and they will personally go to deal with police.

sadly bent cops is a reality in thailand for thais and non thais.

And I've got a friend where the cop accepted his pic on the phone! Welcome to Thailand!

Absolutely correct.  The reason for the vague laws is to extract maximum Baht from us. LOL

Archived