Police again extorting foreigners that dont carry passport

atyclb

26 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Tropo you ain't half dumb. 100% wrong am I? 

The 95% is issued back to the police irrespective . The unfortunate thing is that  

Probably why the police give up on issuing tickets and resort to extortion?

You can apologise now Tropo. Not that you will because your ego is too big.

Hold your horses. You find the actual official announcement from the PM that 95% of fines are paid to individual policemen on top of their salaries and you'll have your apology. That article uses "traffic police", which is vague and could mean the department as a whole. Newspaper reporters often mess up their interpretation of facts in Thailand.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing most of you having problems with the police are living in or visiting Pattaya.  Pattaya is the only city I've ever heard of where foreigners get shaken down by the cops.  I've been visiting Thailand for over 10 years and I've been living here now for over 3 years and I've never been treated with anything except respect from the Thai police.  I've never been stopped I've never had a single problem with them.  

On a few occasions I've initiated conversations with a few Thai police officers and I thought they were really nice.  I struck up a conversation with 2 Thai police officers patrolling our neighborhood once. When I saw them that day at the time I had been hearing a lot of stories about them visiting the homes of foreigners.  So I assumed that was what they were doing then I grabbed my passport and all my paperwork and my wife and I went down stairs and I was prepared to volunteer my information to them which I did.  

Although it turned out that they were not checking on foreigners they were just out on patrol.  I ended up talking to them and told them I was retired military and started showing them pictures.  When they found out that I'm retired Special Forces they saluted me.  That really felt strange being saluted by the police I didn't know how to react because I was trying to humble myself to them.  Plus I was never an Officer so I don't really like being saluted.  I was talking to another Thai cop in the mall one day because I noticed his weapon holster it was one of the same type of holsters that I've used before one of my favorites.  So I started showing him pictures of myself from Iraq wearing that same type of holster.  I was just like hey that's a damn good holster.  

Anyway I've never been stopped by any Thai cops before not even in Bangkok. I never hang out in Pattaya I've driven through there once but that's it.  I can say from personal experience and training just don't make yourself a target keep a low profile and don't make yourself stand out in a crowd if that makes sense.  Dress plainly, stay alert, and maintain situational awareness.   

For those of you reporting having problems with the Thai police where may I ask do you live?  I already have a pretty good idea but enlighten me.  

20 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

I'm guessing most of you having problems with the police are living in or visiting Pattaya.  Pattaya is the only city I've ever heard of where foreigners get shaken down by the cops.  I've been visiting Thailand for over 10 years and I've been living here now for over 3 years and I've never been treated with anything except respect from the Thai police.  I've never been stopped I've never had a single problem with them.  

On a few occasions I've initiated conversations with a few Thai police officers and I thought they were really nice.  I struck up a conversation with 2 Thai police officers patrolling our neighborhood once. When I saw them that day at the time I had been hearing a lot of stories about them visiting the homes of foreigners.  So I assumed that was what they were doing then I grabbed my passport and all my paperwork and my wife and I went down stairs and I was prepared to volunteer my information to them which I did.  

Although it turned out that they were not checking on foreigners they were just out on patrol.  I ended up talking to them and told them I was retired military and started showing them pictures.  When they found out that I'm retired Special Forces they saluted me.  That really felt strange being saluted by the police I didn't know how to react because I was trying to humble myself to them.  Plus I was never an Officer so I don't really like being saluted.  I was talking to another Thai cop in the mall one day because I noticed his weapon holster it was one of the same type of holsters that I've used before one of my favorites.  So I started showing him pictures of myself from Iraq wearing that same type of holster.  I was just like hey that's a damn good holster.  

Anyway I've never been stopped by any Thai cops before not even in Bangkok. I never hang out in Pattaya I've driven through there once but that's it.  I can say from personal experience and training just don't make yourself a target keep a low profile and don't make yourself stand out in a crowd if that makes sense.  Dress plainly, stay alert, and maintain situational awareness.   

For those of you reporting having problems with the Thai police where may I ask do you live?  I already have a pretty good idea but enlighten me.  

I've been living in Thailand for 20 years, 18 of which in Bangkok. I've had a handful of negative experiences with the Police... nothing too extreme, nothing I that couldn't be handled, however, they were completely unnecessary experiences which would give great concern for some and frighten tourists. 

I also have some entertaining and positive encounters but most originate from the BiB attempting to extort me (or my friends) in some way or form then working out they can't.

Ultimately, these guys prey on the weak... but to be honest, they get paid next to nothing, no one pays tax to support an honest police force, the issue becomes political, complex and multifaceted... Ultimately we have to be grateful that these guys policing the country are essentially passive and not evil. 

It amuses me that they may push a helmet-less guy off his bike for failing to stop at a check point, yet at the same time these very same guys would be first to the rescue of a guy who falls off their bike and hurts themselves.

My friends in the BiB laugh that they are universally disliked by Thai Society, but always called upon to help when someone needs help to get out of trouble for breaking some law or other.

I've also heard a lot of stories, the BiB do a lot of good, operating with their hands tied behind their backs. Its a tough job, even those higher up are pushed, pulled, threatened and manipulated by powers above them - their only option is to play the game... cleaning up the system will take generations. 

3 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

Your experience of one is worthless. I've lived in Pattaya for 12 years and never been "shaken down" as you call it. I've also never had any aggression from police officers. So what am I to conclude? It has never happened to me, so it doesn't happen?

Can I conclude that it only happens in Bangkok because it has never happened to me in Pattaya? - of course not - that's ridiculous. If I was going by extortion reports I've read on here over the past decade I could conclude that "shakedowns" are more frequent in Bangkok.

I have had cops trying to get some cash-in-the-hand payments on a few occasions, but I'd hardly call it a shakedown. I told them to ticket me and made the payment at the police station.

And guess what? I'm not as friendly to cops as you are and don't converse with them. I give them the poker face, which is pretty much the Thai way... but they still don't show aggression. Some are even friendly. As far as I can tell, your efforts to befriend them are not making much difference, but thanks for the heartwarming stories.  

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My friends in the BiB laugh that they are universally disliked by Thai Society, but always called upon to help when someone needs help to get out of trouble for breaking some law or other.

I'm with the "Thai Society" on that - I also dislike them. As far as I'm concerned they are a necessary evil, and if they are not held in check they can be very evil indeed, as witnessed by the OP during his shakedown.

They are public servants. They have a job to do. If they didn't help when needed they would be neglecting their job. They don't need people to like them because they are paid very well for their service... and there's no shortage of recruits wanting to get in on the spoils. 

3 hours ago, tropo said:

Your experience of one is worthless. I've lived in Pattaya for 12 years and never been "shaken down" as you call it. I've also never had any aggression from police officers. So what am I to conclude? It has never happened to me, so it doesn't happen?

Can I conclude that it only happens in Bangkok because it has never happened to me in Pattaya? - of course not - that's ridiculous. If I was going by extortion reports I've read on here over the past decade I could conclude that "shakedowns" are more frequent in Bangkok.

I have had cops trying to get some cash-in-the-hand payments on a few occasions, but I'd hardly call it a shakedown. I told them to ticket me and made the payment at the police station.

And guess what? I'm not as friendly to cops as you are and don't converse with them. I give them the poker face, which is pretty much the Thai way... but they still don't show aggression. Some are even friendly. As far as I can tell, your efforts to befriend them are not making much difference, but thanks for the heartwarming stories.  

Can you conclude whether or not I care what you think lol.  

7 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

It's been reported many times in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.  I'm sure other big tourist areas have experienced this also.

Pattaya isn't the only place.

5 hours ago, tropo said:

Replies are for general consumption, so what you personally think is not important lol. 

Stop hanging around the cat houses and you'll be left alone.  You guys make yourselves targets because of where you hang out LMAO ???

My experience by the way involves surviving in multiple combat zones multiple times for several years not just in Thailand.  Thailand's a breeze compared to where I've been and what I've seen.  Thailand is a nice place by anyone's standards so if you can't handle it here you can always go home.  If you've been targeted more than once obviously you're doing something wrong.  You can start by making yourself unpredictable never travel the same route twice and don't constantly hang out in the tourist areas and especially those "other places" or you're asking for trouble.  

42 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:
6 hours ago, tropo said:

Replies are for general consumption, so what you personally think is not important lol. 

Stop hanging around the cat houses and you'll be left alone.  You guys make yourselves targets because of where you hang out LMAO ???

My experience by the way involves surviving in multiple combat zones multiple times for several years not just in Thailand.  Thailand's a breeze compared to where I've been and what I've seen.  Thailand is a nice place by anyone's standards so if you can't handle it here you can always go home.  If you've been targeted more than once obviously you're doing something wrong.  You can start by making yourself unpredictable never travel the same route twice and don't constantly hang out in the tourist areas and especially those "other places" or you're asking for trouble.  

I have no idea why you're replying to me as I made it quite clear in the other post to which you replied that I haven't personally had any trouble with police in the streets of Thailand - in 12 years, in Pattaya, and I have no combat experience whatsoever. 

Are you using this thread as an excuse to brag about your combat experience? I can't think of any other reason why you go on about it because you can get by here without it.

You obviously didn't read my post, but the main point was that your personal experience and mine (neither of us has had trouble) does not change the fact that police shakedowns are quite commonplace in various tourist areas of Thailand. You'd have to be blind not to see it. You can just sit on the side of the road in some areas of Pattaya and watch them flag down tourists while they let Thais through. They could stop you too unless you carry a large sign saying "I'm combat hardened so don't mess with me" or something to that effect.

13 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

Can you conclude whether or not I care what you think lol.  

Jim; first off i salute you for your service and bravery in the military. i have worked for the us military in the past also.

the poster in this case is correct, you cannot conclude "pattaya" by deductive reasoning.  that would be like saying people do not get struck by lightning because you have lived x # of years and have never been hit by lightning. 

Update;  per my upscale thai friend that folows social media police have been shaking down people in the same manner they did to me. reportedly the army is handling complaints about this. yesterday some police that did this were reprimanded.  below is the official info hotline where to report such ocurrences

20170920200230.jpg

1 hour ago, Jim7777 said:

thank you rambo

25 minutes ago, tropo said:

I have no idea why you're replying to me as I made it quite clear in the other post to which you replied that I haven't personally had any trouble with police in the streets of Thailand - in 12 years, in Pattaya, and I have no combat experience whatsoever. 

Are you using this thread as an excuse to brag about your combat experience? I can't think of any other reason why you go on about it because you can get by here without it.

You obviously didn't read my post, but the main point was that your personal experience and mine (neither of us has had trouble) does not change the fact that police shakedowns are quite commonplace in various tourist areas of Thailand. You'd have to be blind not to see it. You can just sit on the side of the road in some areas of Pattaya and watch them flag down tourists while they let Thais through. They could stop you too unless you carry a large sign saying "I'm combat hardened so don't mess with me" or something to that effect.

I've only seen the police/traffic police checking for driving related documents and  crash helmets. I have seen them stop Thais and tourists. I dont consider this a shakedown. On the contrary- they are doing us all a favour.

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

I've only seen the police/traffic police checking for driving related documents and  crash helmets. I have seen them stop Thais and tourists. I dont consider this a shakedown. On the contrary- they are doing us all a favour.

OMG

1 hour ago, Jim7777 said:

Cat houses?  What are earth are you talking about? The go go bars are safe because authorities have vested interests in them. They the girls for IDs, age and sometimes drugs..But Cat Houses! Thailand isnt 2950s America. Do you live in Thailand? 

21 minutes ago, The manic said:

You haven't been looking very hard. The smart cops stop some Thais to make it seem legitimate. I'm not talking about the major checkpoints where they stop everyone, helmets or not. It's usually a couple of cops in a more casual setup and it's always in the major tourist areas.

48 minutes ago, tropo said:

Just sayin keep a low profile and don't attract unnecessary attention to yourself.  I drive right through those checkpoints all the time and I've never been stopped once of course my wife is always with me and sometimes her whole family.  

Also my point about combat experience is about having experience traveling through potentially dangerous areas in foreign countries and avoiding trouble while doing that.  I brought up my combat experience because you implied that I don't know what I'm talking about, well actually I do because I've driven through some of the most dangerous places on earth for many years of my life even before the war started.  I'm not only talking about Iraq and Afghanistan I've also driven through very dangerous countries in West and East Africa as well, also places like Bosnia and Kosovo.  Just a few examples are places like Sierra Leone, Nigeria, and Somalia.  And yes Afghanistan 5 times and Northern Iraq 2 times, also Yemen and several other countries.  

Like I said I only mention this because you implied in a post that I don't know what I'm talking about.  Well actually I do.  

At least here in Thailand the cops aren't hiding behind bushes on the side of the road trying to catch people speeding so they can collect that free money like we do in the states.  

Basically I just get tired of hearing people who choose to live here complain about everything.  Some of these threads are just people whining about everything.  

And you got me you're right I didn't read your whole book I have better things to do I just kinda skimmed through it just like I did this post you wrote.  I'm just browsing through posts on here and I wonder how some people survive living abroad.  I usually don't post on here but sometimes I read things and I can't help it.  

You actually replied to me first if you had not engaged me I would not be replying to you but go ahead I'll let you have the last word which is what you want apparently and I won't say anything I promise.  

32 minutes ago, atyclb said:
35 minutes ago, The manic said:

OMG

Yeah, he hasn't seen it so it doesn't happen.

What they could do is solve the problem of underage school kids riding 2, 3 and 4 up with no licence or helmets instead of "worrying" about tourists so much.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

What they could do is solve the problem of underage school kids riding 2, 3 and 4 up with no licence or helmets instead of "worrying" about tourists so much.

more amazing deductive reasoning and failure to review the whole thread.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

If everyone hates it so much here than go home no one is forcing you to live here.  

1 minute ago, Jim7777 said:

If everyone hates it so much here than go home no one is forcing you to live here.  

as ex special ops you are not selected solely on ability to follow orders. they screen and you are able to analyze situations and think critically. the basis of this thread is not about hating thailand but being harassed and extorted by police. many if not most thais feel the very same way about police but would you suggest they move to a different country?

42 minutes ago, The manic said:

Cat houses?  What are earth are you talking about? The go go bars are safe because authorities have vested interests in them. They the girls for IDs, age and sometimes drugs..But Cat Houses! Thailand isnt 2950s America. Do you live in Thailand? 

Oh you know what I mean I just use that phrase because apparently it's not politically correct to talk about prostitution on this thread and all the underage girls involved in it.  You all go ahead and whine on I have better things to do.  

12 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

Your welcome I only brought that up because he implied that I don't know what I'm talking about.  

perhaps a bit extreme making sure you do not use the same route to go home more than once...?   007 style

4 minutes ago, atyclb said:

as ex special ops you are not selected solely on ability to follow orders. they screen and you are able to analyze situations and think critically. the basis of this thread is not about hating thailand but being harassed and extorted by police. many if not most thais feel the very same way about police but would you suggest they move to a different country?

Instead of whining about it online try and think of a solution like maybe avoiding trouble or trouble areas.  Just a suggestion.  

Just now, Jim7777 said:

Instead of whining about it online try and think of a solution like maybe avoiding trouble or trouble areas.  Just a suggestion.  

solution 1 .   stay home, never go out

solution 2 preplan using gps to instruct taxis which route to use , assuming they agree

thai's report the same harassment in areas completely removed from tourist areas

9 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:
14 minutes ago, tropo said:

Once again, I have no idea why you are replying to me here.

Stating what is happening on the ground does not mean "I hate it so much". I've already stated that I don't have problems here and I've lived full-time in Thailand 4 times as long as you have. No trouble with no combat experience - wonders will never cease.:smile:

Sure, I don't like seeing foreigners being extorted, but it's like watching bad news on TV - I don't turn it off.

Archived