Police again extorting foreigners that dont carry passport

atyclb

19 minutes ago, atyclb said:

and lack of critical thinking

Actually it's critical thinking, deductive reasoning, and just a lot of training and over 22 years of experience traveling abroad that has kept me out of trouble all these years AND ALIVE because trust me there are A LOT more dangerous countries in the world than Thailand.  

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, ericthai said:

Once you are here longer you will find out.. I dont think anyone said all the police are bad.  I have met some great police. I have had the police come out and do their job properly. However there are a good number that are looking to make some tea money.  I've been stopped for speeding I told them no way, they said they had a photo and showed me a picture of someone else car, they refused to admit that the car in the picture was not mine and insisted it was and after 20mins I finally gave in and gave him the 100B

If they want money they will make things up.  

There are good and bad cops all over the world guys that's just life.  

This is a serious breach of diplomatic protocol. If you are not allowed free passage while in the Kingdom of Thailand it is a serious breach of diplomatic protocol. Because it is stated in the diplomatic agreement between countries to allow its citizens to travel without harassment. Free passage means while you are in thailand, your movement in Thailand.  Now your movement is curtailed, unnecessary questions asked as well as harassment.

Of course the Thais are completely ignorant of these diplomatic rules and laws. If Farangs in Thailand can get together to get their Embassies to complain then this will stop. If Farangs of every nationalities write to their newspaper back home and get them to put it on the front page of newspapers it will also work, because the Thai embassies in those countries will be busy answering questions from the government of those countries concerned.

There is an agreement, "This is a legal travel document and the countries concern must allow the bearer of this passport free passage in the country without harassment and where necessary assistance should be given to the bearer of this passport to pass through the country".

Don't waste time talking to BIB or Immigration officers in Thailand. You need to make a big issue until the embassies of your respective countries take notice. If it is the front page of International newspaper it will be the best. Just do it, (you retired Farangs) for the sack of your countrymen.

1 hour ago, Jim7777 said:

Actually it's critical thinking, deductive reasoning, and just a lot of training and over 22 years of experience traveling abroad that has kept me out of trouble all these years AND ALIVE because trust me there are A LOT more dangerous countries in the world than Thailand.  

my response was specifically to you believing because you have never had a problem therefore it does not happen.

i seen in your subsequent post you realize it does happen

fyi i spent a lot of time in colombia during the so called dangerous times and any interaction i had with police was up and up. i found the colombian average policeman intelligent, fair and reasonable. amazing for a country with such an infamous reputation. i would say the iq of the average colombian cop shines way above the thai counterpart. perhaps because that country has produced a nobel laureate and world renowned doctors has something to do with it.

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

my response was specifically to you believing because you have never had a problem therefore it does not happen.

fyi i spent a lot of time in colombia during the so called dangerous times and any interaction i had with police was up and up. i found the colombian average policeman intelligent, fair and reasonable. amazing for a country with such an infamous reputation. i would say the iq of the average colombian cop shines way above the thai counterpart. perhaps because that country has produced a nobel laureate and world renowned doctors has something to do with it.

Okay thanks for your input and congratulations. 

3 hours ago, madusa said:

This is a serious breach of diplomatic protocol. If you are not allowed free passage while in the Kingdom of Thailand it is a serious breach of diplomatic protocol. Because it is stated in the diplomatic agreement between countries to allow its citizens to travel without harassment. Free passage means while you are in thailand, your movement in Thailand.  Now your movement is curtailed, unnecessary questions asked as well as harassment.

Of course the Thais are completely ignorant of these diplomatic rules and laws. If Farangs in Thailand can get together to get their Embassies to complain then this will stop. If Farangs of every nationalities write to their newspaper back home and get them to put it on the front page of newspapers it will also work, because the Thai embassies in those countries will be busy answering questions from the government of those countries concerned.

There is an agreement, "This is a legal travel document and the countries concern must allow the bearer of this passport free passage in the country without harassment and where necessary assistance should be given to the bearer of this passport to pass through the country".

Don't waste time talking to BIB or Immigration officers in Thailand. You need to make a big issue until the embassies of your respective countries take notice. If it is the front page of International newspaper it will be the best. Just do it, (you retired Farangs) for the sack of your countrymen.

Article 36 of the 1963 Vienna Convention on Consular Relations does require foreigners arrested or detained to be informed of their right to have their embassy or consulate notified, but I doubt that extends to people being stopped in the street. Ordinary citizens don't have the same protection as diplomats.

And those high-flown words printed in the cover of many passports about allowing "the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance" (UK passport) can not carry much weight if "the bearer" isn't actually carrying his passport, which is what this thread is all about.

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

FYI I'm done responding to idiots.  

31 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

FYI I'm done responding to idiots.  

you already wrote "Okay thanks for your input and congratulations."    and now  "FYI I'm done responding to idiots."  ????????

per your criteria what makes me an idiot?   i will keep it civil

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 4.52.05 PM.png

9 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

could you point to where that stipulation is written?

Links to this were posted back several pages.  The law is you must prove you are in the country legally within a reasonable amount of time.  The later part leaves it up to the official as to what reasonable means.  Reasonable could mean immediately, or could mean later.  It's also up to the official on site if they'll accept a copy.  But the visa stamp is what proves you are here legally.  And that's only in your passport.

• 2 weeks later...

I have being coming to Thailand for close to 15 years married to a Thai for 10 , we own property , and a car , and spend a considerable amount of time here ,though I don't live here fulltime.

I am sure a lot of what the OP describes take place but IMO more so in some places than others.

I can only speak for myself and I should say that I spend the majority of my time in Isaan and more specifically in Khon Kaen and surrounding areas.

I never carry my passport   (i know I should )   I have being stopped a couple of times for speeding , all very pleasant, no mention of passport.  No one has ever stopped me to ask for passport specifically

That's my personal experience.I understand that other's might have a different experiance.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I have being coming to Thailand for close to 15 years married to a Thai for 10 , we own property , and a car , and spend a considerable amount of time here ,though I don't live here fulltime.

I am sure a lot of what the OP describes take place but IMO more so in some places than others.

I can only speak for myself and I should say that I spend the majority of my time in Isaan and more specifically in Khon Kaen and surrounding areas.

I never carry my passport   (i know I should )   I have being stopped a couple of times for speeding , all very pleasant, no mention of passport.  No one has ever stopped me to ask for passport specifically

That's my personal experience.I understand that other's might have a different experiance.

ooooohh chai krab, Isan same same Nana....:smile:

The cops were out tonight early around 7:30pm at Sukhumvit 13 & Sukhumvit 15. Never seen cops hanging around there before. Has anyone else or is this a first?

Three cops at Sukhumvit 13 just infront of the 7-eleven where those african dealers hang out. two cops in normal uniform and one in a police type polo shirt. Polo shirt guy shook hands with one of those african dealers.

Sukhumvit 15 two cops in normal uniform and one in a police type polo shirt. They were checking ID of a korean tourist then gave him a pat on the back and let him go.

I was on Sukhumvit between Nana and Asoke a couple weekends ago while sober and was very surprised to see all the businesses lined with African and Arab men.  I mean, if I want to buy a 'dildo for her pleasure,' I'm going to buy it from an old fat Thai woman. These foreign male hawkers made no attempt to speak English or Thai to me as I passed.  And over half of the prostitutes lining the sidewalk and under bridges were from Africa.  What's a tourist straight off the plane with yellow fever to do?  It's not that I wouldn't fancy a bit of brown cinnamon or even a bit of dark chocolate; that's not it at all.  I just wonder what all the p. Lek's and p. Som's and their sick moms and buffalo are doing?  Where have they migrated because from what I can see, they are getting kicked off every corner.  I made it down by that dump Thermae, (just street level, mind you) and again was surprised.  African pimps everywhere!  I mean...a little self-respect, ladies.  No one is going to shake down an African hooker working freelance, except perhaps the Thai police, so what were all these dicks loitering around about?  Was there a two for one deal on Big Mac's I didn't know about?   It's a dog eat dog world out there, I guess.  Call me nostalgic for the 'old days' (like a couple years ago) when a man could slide down Sukhumvit get pigeon English cooed at him from ally ways.  Hell, I'd even take the ladyboy's returning over what is out there now. :)

Agree Jim...the great Sukhumvit after dark street bar scene is but a sad distant memory in comparison to what it was a few years back.Seems to me with the bare empty pavements you notice all the rats more.Cannot believe how all the hookers are still allowed to blatantly  congregate outside The Sofitel  on a night..a 5 star hotel as well..and we thought it was bad five years ago (and more)A shithole now is an understatement!

On 10/16/2017 at 11:35 AM, JimP said:

I was on Sukhumvit between Nana and Asoke a couple weekends ago while sober and was very surprised to see all the businesses lined with African and Arab men.  I mean, if I want to buy a 'dildo for her pleasure,' I'm going to buy it from an old fat Thai woman. These foreign male hawkers made no attempt to speak English or Thai to me as I passed.  And over half of the prostitutes lining the sidewalk and under bridges were from Africa.  What's a tourist straight off the plane with yellow fever to do?  It's not that I wouldn't fancy a bit of brown cinnamon or even a bit of dark chocolate; that's not it at all.  I just wonder what all the p. Lek's and p. Som's and their sick moms and buffalo are doing?  Where have they migrated because from what I can see, they are getting kicked off every corner.  I made it down by that dump Thermae, (just street level, mind you) and again was surprised.  African pimps everywhere!  I mean...a little self-respect, ladies.  No one is going to shake down an African hooker working freelance, except perhaps the Thai police, so what were all these dicks loitering around about?  Was there a two for one deal on Big Mac's I didn't know about?   It's a dog eat dog world out there, I guess.  Call me nostalgic for the 'old days' (like a couple years ago) when a man could slide down Sukhumvit get pigeon English cooed at him from ally ways.  Hell, I'd even take the ladyboy's returning over what is out there now. :)

That's nasty, going back a decade or so the homo-africanus women were all down near the railway line sois and very much off sukhumvit road. I guess it's a sign that Bangkok's lady abyss is now at rock bottom.

"Person of colour" does not mean black, so you are even more wrong than the person you are attempting to correct.

It means anyone who is "non-white", so the term could be applied to a Chinese, Hispanic, Japanese or Native American person, as well as many others.

To use this to describe a single individual tells you almost nothing.

On 16/10/2017 at 5:35 PM, JimP said:

They cleared away the Issan food vendors, souvenir sellers and clothes dealers. They closed down the late night pop up bars and restaurant and repaced them with African whores and their pimps.  The policy of idiocy.

Agree Jim...the great Sukhumvit after dark street bar scene is but a sad distant memory in comparison to what it was a few years back.Seems to me with the bare empty pavements you notice all the rats more.Cannot believe how all the hookers are still allowed to blatantly  congregate outside The Sofitel  on a night..a 5 star hotel as well..and we thought it was bad five years ago (and more)A shithole now is an understatement!

I live lower Sukhumvit and never seen empty pavements in fact after dark between Asoke and Nana is always busy and that's low season.

The rats would have turned canabal since their home deliver service via food and oil being fed through the drains by scum food sellers who couldn't give a sh-t about dumping trash.

Great move, love lower Sukhumvit.

• 2 months later...

Archived