Why Buddhism is True

camerata

1 hour ago, trd said:

Hi Rocky where have you been?

Awareness is prior to Citta. Citta is impermanent. Awareness is without boundaries and is therefore beginningless and endless. It is unborn. Citta is dependent on awareness but awareness has no dependency on Citta. There is a language issue because sometimes pure mind or clear mind can be used to describe awareness. I think you would call this Sati in Theravada and Rigpa in Mahayana.

Neither can be understood as such because it is beyond any concept, but have to be experienced directly through practice.

Hi TRD.

As is quoted often in Buddhism , it's been the state I've been in rather than place.

My observations are of our conditioning, so powerful it's like entering an event horizon of a black hole.

My conditioning has got in the way of my practice.

One thing which I'm observing is that samsara is filled with suffering.

Thanks for your explanation.

Are you saying is that what there always was/is, is universal awareness which is non dual (duality)?

I thought Citta was the one thing associated with us that was deathless??

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi TRD.

As is quoted often in Buddhism , it's been the state I've been in rather than place.

My observations are of our conditioning, so powerful it's like entering an event horizon of a black hole.

My conditioning has got in the way of my practice.

One thing which I'm observing is that samsara is filled with suffering.

Thanks for your explanation.

Are you saying is that what there always was/is, is universal awareness which is non dual (duality)?

I thought Citta was the one thing associated with us that was deathless??
What's interesting is that Theravada scripture doesn't speak about non-duality, but rather about seeing things as they truly are, but it's clear from accounts given by important teachers particularly from the Thai forest tradition that awareness is primordial. And because it is unbounded objectless samadhi, it is non dual. But the terminology doesn't really matter. If you associate citta with mind in any way whatsoever then it's clear that mind is constantly changing and is appearing and disappearing so it cannot be permanent. As I said if you want to stay with mind terminology then you might speak of an empty mind or a still mind which is no mind at all if you define mind in terms of mentations, mental activity of any kind. Can one pointed awareness be regarded as mental activity? I would say not because mental activity relies on a movement of mind, a duality consisting of a Knower as a mind entity, which is ultimately a false notion of self, who knows an object.

1 hour ago, trd said:
2 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

What's interesting is that Theravada scripture doesn't speak about non-duality, but rather about seeing things as they truly are, but it's clear from accounts given by important teachers particularly from the Thai forest tradition that awareness is primordial. And because it is unbounded objectless samadhi, it is non dual. 

Can one pointed awareness be regarded as mental activity? I would say not because mental activity relies on a movement of mind, a duality consisting of a Knower as a mind entity, which is ultimately a false notion of self, who knows an object.

So is there a non dualistic primordial awareness which is deathless, and the manifestation of beings (life) aren't aware of this awareness due to the mind chatter and therefore cling to the knower/Doer and the known/object done?

Is the end game to unshackle association with that which is impermanent & conditioned and bask in the permanent primordial awareness?

If the primordial awareness already exists, what consequence is it to the impermanent and conditioned aspect?

Why create an impermanent and conditioned world which has no awareness of a higher reality?

What value is knowledge of a higher reality to that which is impermanent and conditioned, if it falls away upon death?

The end game is to realize there is no difference between deathless awareness and manifestation. It's all made of the same stuff - Consciousness. Manifestation cannot be separate or independent from awareness yet it can appear to be so. In other words whether there is manifestation or not, you remain. This you (or Not You) is ultimately impersonal.

Why create an impermanent and conditioned world? That implies some entity created it. Is that what you think? If that was so then there would be a problem with the primordial as being beginningless.

2 hours ago, trd said:

The end game is to realize there is no difference between deathless awareness and manifestation. It's all made of the same stuff - Consciousness. Manifestation cannot be separate or independent from awareness yet it can appear to be so. In other words whether there is manifestation or not, you remain. This you (or Not You) is ultimately impersonal.

Why create an impermanent and conditioned world? That implies some entity created it. Is that what you think? If that was so then there would be a problem with the primordial as being beginningless.

Sorry to bombard you.

Although there is no substitute to practice and first hand experience, my conditioning finds intellectual immersion into this subject provides some motivation towards practicing.

Is the problem of Manifestation that it isn't aware of its Deathless Awareness?

Once Manifestation becomes aware of its Deathless Awareness what happens to it?

Does Manifestation cease after the next death?

Also does Manifestation alter prior to its final death due to the influence of its Deathless Awareness?

Is everyone's Deathless Awareness the same one, or is it individual for each person?

If it is universal, are we individual Manifestations of the same Deathless Awareness?

8 minutes ago, rockyysdt said:

Sorry to bombard you.

Although there is no substitute to practice and first hand experience, my conditioning finds intellectual immersion into this subject provides some motivation towards practicing.

Also does Manifestation alter prior to its final death due to the influence of its Deathless Awareness?

Is everyone's Deathless Awareness the same one, or is it individual for each person?

If it is universal, are we individual Manifestations of the same Deathless Awareness?

Too much theory - insufficient practice?

9 minutes ago, superglue said:

Too much theory - insufficient practice?

Once again you're correct S G.

Practice is the key.

However I'm thinking it may take years if not lifetimes for the fruits of this practice to yield answers to some of these questions.

Given that words could never describe that which is hidden, sometimes it's nice to be inspired by those amongst us who may have been able to see beyond the curtain.

12 minutes ago, rockyysdt said:

Once again you're correct S G.

Practice is the key.

However I'm thinking it may take years if not lifetimes for the fruits of this practice to yield answers to some of these questions.

Given that words could never describe that which is hidden, sometimes it's nice to be inspired by those amongst us who may have been able to see beyond the curtain.

Start at the beginning?

Practical experience enhances the situation.

Sorry to bombard you.

Manifestation isn't conscious. It is merely an appearance. it has no awareness and cannot do anything. Manifestation is not an entity. Only awareness is aware. If you see yourself as an entity, a doer of action, then so be it. For every conceptual question you are asking try and supply your own answer. It will be as good as any answer I can give you. I have no answers to your questions that can possibly satisfy you. Only the direct experience of abiding in Awareness can do that and then these questions simply won't arise.

Archived