BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

camerata

Why Buddhism is True

On 9/24/2017 at 4:28 AM, VincentRJ said:

I would then have the time to read all the e-books on my Kindle. :smile:

Anyway, isn't it a major Buddhist principle that only the present moment exists. Worrying about what might happen in the future is ridiculous. Trying to be mindful all the time is good advice and should reduce the risk of accidents occurring. That's all one can do, and avoid taking unnecessary risks of course.

I think that the "here and now" concept is from Zen, although I don't know if other sects of Buddhism recognize it.

For Americans anyway, it's usually Zen when we think of Buddhist philosophy, but this is often very alien to many Buddhists in Asia.

But "worrying about the future" could be re-framed as "conscious of the law of cause and effect".

1 hour ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Literal rebirth in your opinion, or is this a metaphor?

I suggest that an intensive study of the basics of Buddhism will verify my research.

First of all: congratulations!

What you say about that Power you found in / thanks to buddhism sounds great - but I have read the exact same thing being claimed by others, based on christianity, and even by atheists.
That suggests that this Power is not related to any religion or philosophy.
What could then be the nature of this Power?
Do you have any suggestions? What exactly helped you cross the line?

Truth has nothing to do with Buddhism or any other ism, although Buddhism has some very good pointers to it. The Power is in realizing there is no separate self, that there is no difference or separation between awareness, mind, senses and objects. It is all one spontaneous flow of life where there is no self to suffer.

3 hours ago, superglue said:

Buddhism is the ABSOLUTE truth.

Are you serious?

Which buddhism are you talking about?

I think some people in Sri Lanka and Myanmar will disagree with you.

And if I am not mistaken, questioning everything is an essential part of old style buddhism.

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Are you serious?

Which buddhism are you talking about?

I think some people in Sri Lanka and Myanmar will disagree with you.

And if I am not mistaken, questioning everything is an essential part of old style buddhism.

My favorite Buddhist books were written by Dr Dhammananda - a Shri Lankan who migrated to Malaysia - 'Gems of Buddhist Wisdom' & 'How to Live without Fear & Worry.'

Theravadan based.

11 minutes ago, superglue said:

My favorite Buddhist books were written by Dr Dhammananda - a Shri Lankan who migrated to Malaysia - 'Gems of Buddhist Wisdom' & 'How to Live without Fear & Worry.'

Theravadan based.

You are clearly a true believer.

The upside is that it helped you win the battle against Demon Alcohol, and that it improved your well feeling.

The downside is that it does not facilitate discussions with non believers.

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You are clearly a true believer.

The upside is that it helped you win the battle against Demon Alcohol, and that it improved your well feeling.

The downside is that it does not facilitate discussions with non believers.

Your last sentence - I do not agree/concur with.

I submit that I am broadminded.

On 10/28/2017 at 9:51 PM, trd said:
On 10/27/2017 at 8:22 AM, oldhippy said:

What you say about that Power you found in / thanks to buddhism sounds great - but I have read the exact same thing being claimed by others, based on christianity, and even by atheists.

Truth has nothing to do with Buddhism or any other ism, although Buddhism has some very good pointers to it. The Power is in realizing there is no separate self, that there is no difference or separation between awareness, mind, senses and objects. It is all one spontaneous flow of life where there is no self to suffer.

Trd,
I hope you are well and enjoying life ( in Phuket is it?).

I think your statement that 'truth has nothing to do with Buddhism' is a bit illogical if you then go on to say that 'Buddhism has some very good pointers to it'. If Buddhism has some very good pointers to truth, then it has at least something to do with truth.

However, I think what you are trying to say is that all the teachings and guidance offered by Buddhism are like a boat or raft used to cross a river. Once you've reached the other side, the raft can, and should, be discarded. Wouldn't you agree? :smile:

Trd,
I hope you are well and enjoying life ( in Phuket is it?).

I think your statement that 'truth has nothing to do with Buddhism' is a bit illogical if you then go on to say that 'Buddhism has some very good pointers to it'. If Buddhism has some very good pointers to truth, then it has at least something to do with truth.

However, I think what you are trying to say is that all the teachings and guidance offered by Buddhism are like a boat or raft used to cross a river. Once you've reached the other side, the raft can, and should, be discarded. Wouldn't you agree? [emoji2]
Yes Phuket Vincent. I hope you're doing well too. What I mean is that Buddhism doesn't have any exclusive rights over the truth because truth is prior to mind, prior to thinking. It has nothing to do with concepts or ideas, but certain pointers which are of course intellectual in nature can point you back to the primordial source, your natural state of objectless awareness.

On 10/29/2017 at 2:02 AM, superglue said:

I submit that I am broadminded.

And we must accept this on faith. :smile:

19 minutes ago, Ruffian Dick said:

And we must accept this on faith. :smile:

'MUST'

On what basis?

On 29/10/2017 at 3:51 PM, trd said:
On 28/10/2017 at 2:22 AM, oldhippy said:

Hi TRD.

Aren't these impermanent (awareness, mind, senses and objects) where as Citta (heart/mind) was never born (that which was never born, can't die: deathless)?

How do these (awareness, mind, senses and objects) and the need to understand them as inseparate assist with realization and awakening (purification of Citta)?

Along with Vincent, good to see you posting again.

Hi TRD.

Aren't these impermanent (awareness, mind, senses and objects) where as Citta (heart/mind) was never born (that which was never born, can't die: deathless)?

How do these (awareness, mind, senses and objects) and the need to understand them as inseparate assist with realization and awakening (purification of Citta)?

Along with Vincent, good to see you posting again.

Hi Rocky where have you been?

Awareness is prior to Citta. Citta is impermanent. Awareness is without boundaries and is therefore beginningless and endless. It is unborn. Citta is dependent on awareness but awareness has no dependency on Citta. There is a language issue because sometimes pure mind or clear mind can be used to describe awareness. I think you would call this Sati in Theravada and Rigpa in Mahayana.

Neither can be understood as such because it is beyond any concept, but have to be experienced directly through practice.