Only Fools and Horses star reveals heartbreak as Thai wife banned from the UK

rooster59

Only Fools and Horses star reveals heartbreak as Thai wife banned from the UK

BY PATRICK HILL

PROD-IMG_0179.jpg

Patrick Murray with his Thai wife Anong, 36, and daughter Josie, two years and 10 months

The 61-year-old is desperate for Anong, 36, and Josie, two years and 10 months, to join him in the UK.

Only Fools and Horses star Patrick Murray is fighting to be reunited with his Thai wife and their daughter ­following a visa row.

The 61-year-old, who was Rodney Trotter’s wideboy pal Mickey Pearce in the classic comedy, is desperate for Anong, 36, and Josie, two, to join him in the UK.

And he said last night: “It’s really heartbreaking.”

Patrick, now a cabbie, said they are barred under minimum income rules for non-European spouses – introduced by Prime Minister Theresa May during her time as Home Secretary.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/only-fools-horses-star-reveals-11185332#ICID=ios_TMNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

Mirror: 2017-09-17

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Why?

I am only guessing, but the current rules allow Euro spouses in regardless of merit; they are allowed in carte blanche. After Brexit there may be more flexibility for Non-Euro spouses.

Nigel Farage would probably know better than me. His wife is German.

typical,, here is a hardworking guy scratching a living and is solvent, not a burden,  ( and to think his tax is giving money to absolute wasters)but its ok if you rock up on our shores on a banana boat with jack shit money in your pocket, we will give you hundreds of pounds and a <deleted> house as well .

9 minutes ago, isco said:

she'd get in alright if she was muslim

Actually, I suspect this legislation is designed to stop immigrant communities flooding the country with spouses; people like Mr. Murray, and you and me, are collateral damage.

13 minutes ago, isco said:

she'd get in alright if she was muslim

Indeed. Rules for ethnic Brits are not the same as for other ethnicities, even though we were born there. Sheer madness. Immigration officer was touchy (to put it mildly) when we commented as above on a prior visit to the UK.

Actually, I suspect this legislation is designed to stop immigrant communities flooding the country with spouses; people like Mr. Murray, and you and me, are collateral damage.

Yes.
Collateral damage can be avoided or at least dramatically reduced if you target carefully and choose an appropriate weapon system!

An alien concept for the UK immigration authorities!

Whatever reason could there possibly be to deny Mr Murray the right to have his wife and daughter with him? He has after all been contributing to the UK's finances for quite some time?

8 minutes ago, MickTurator said:

Only if they were married before the birth.

I fell foul of that law and it has plagued me and my daughter for the rest of our lives.

Why, biological daughter is daughter- married or not married.

13 minutes ago, MickTurator said:

I fell foul of that law and it has plagued me and my daughter for the rest of our lives.

What year was your Daughter born ?

Requirements changed (dont know when) and Parents now longer need to be married in order for a child of a British person to get a UK PP

43 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Indeed. Rules for ethnic Brits are not the same as for other ethnicities, even though we were born there. Sheer madness. Immigration officer was touchy (to put it mildly) when we commented as above on a prior visit to the UK.

I do believe that the rules are the same for everyone .

The rule was bought in to stop "mail order brides" and to stop Anglo Asians from going back home and marrying a village girl and bringing her to the UK and going on benefits

19 minutes ago, MickTurator said:

I know something about British nationality law, I studied certain sections of it in depth due to my own family being dual nationals. Assuming the child has his blood, he/she is automatically British if just one parents is British, regardless of the marital status of the parents. If one parent was REGISTERED as British (not the same as naturalised) any children they have will also be British automatically, but only for the first generation of child. Grandchildren of REGISTERED British are not automatically British.

55 minutes ago, nausea said:

Unfortunately, you are right.  Perfectly normal families are being penalised for the sins of allowing the Indian sub continent ridiculously lax rules for bringing  whole  extended families into the UK and that has been going on for decades.  Neither can we can't criticise the Thais for employing strict visa rules to stop the same thing happening here. I actually admire the LOS application of immigration law, even thought it causes me and others some inconvenience. 

Just now, Pilotman said:

Unfortunately, you are right.  Perfectly normal families are being penalised for the sins of allowing the Indian sub continent ridiculously lax rules for bringing  whole  extended families into the UK and that has been going on for decades.  . 

Were the rules ever different for UK Asians and UK persons and are the rules different now ?

7 minutes ago, NilSS said:

I know something about British nationality law, I studied certain sections of it in depth due to my own family being dual nationals. Assuming the child has his blood, he/she is automatically British if just one parents is British, regardless of the marital status of the parents. If one parent was REGISTERED as British (not the same as naturalised) any children they have will also be British automatically, but only for the first generation of child. Grandchildren of REGISTERED British are not automatically British.

That is all well and good in theory.  My son has a Philippine girlfriend who has his child.  Despite submitting all the evidence necessary, including independent DNA, the Home Office will not issue a passport for the child.  he is still battling and has been for 2 years. 

26 minutes ago, MickTurator said:

Are you sure? I thought it was more about what name is on the birth certificate.  Doesn't sound right.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Were the rules ever different for UK Asians and UK persons and are the rules different now ?

They were indeed different.  I think that changed when the requirement to pass English tests was introduced by May some time back, but the damage has already been done. 

Just now, Pilotman said:

They were indeed different.  I think that changed when the requirement to pass English tests was introduced by May some time back, but the damage has already been done. 

Which rules were different ?

UK Asians were bringing wifes back to the UK , as were British bringing mail order brides back .

Were they actual different rules for different people ?

What year was your Daughter born ?

Requirements changed (dont know when) and Parents now longer need to be married in order for a child of a British person to get a UK PP

The rules were changed, the year after my daughter was born (2006? - the rule change, I know to.the second when my daughter was born!)

I subsequently married my daughters mother. Lucy has a western name, and my surname on her birth certificate, and her Thai ID card. I am advised, and understand from reading the rules that she may be awarded British citizenship, but it is discretionary, requires a (non refundable) fee of just under £1000, and there is no appeal.

My first enquiry about the matter, made through the consular department of the embassy in Bangkok was met with a blank refusal. I am now intending to make the application in the new year, when I will have the money.

I am not really prepared to stump up the cash until I have a clear indication of exactly what the discretionary conditions are, and how transparent is the application, (£1000 is a lot of cash for a teacher!)

Two letters to the UK home office asking for that information that have gone unanswered.

People moan about frozen pensions, and I understand and agree, but even more egregious in my opinion is the way the immigration rules are applied to our children.

1 hour ago, nausea said:

Indeed, so perhaps it's time for a petition to change the law to allow born n bread Brits to be allowed to have their wives and families with them, and never mind where they were born.

The English speak, read, write and knowledge tests should also not be necessary if the spouse is over, say 50.

If the Brit can show that they have accommodation and meet the minimum wage that should be enough.

The £18,600.00 pa is fair enough for totally foreign couples who want to settle in the UK.

Let's face it, we, as foreigners in Thailand, have to prove a similar amount!

Then there is the state pension - does it even meet the minimum wage?

UK current min wage aged over 25 is £7.50.

So for a 40 hour week is £300 and for a 52 week year is £15,600.00 pa.so where does the £18,600.00 pa come from?

The full basic State Pension is £122.30 per week or £6,359.60 pa.

So a basic state pensioner has no chance to meet the £18,600.00 pa then!

Oh, but he (or she) could marry a born n bred other Brit who never worked in their life and exist on state hand outs.

It's all very wrong.

Since the nation has chosen to leave the UK EU, perhaps now it the time that WE petition for changes to help US?

We NEED to organise.....

What about OUR Human Rights?

Archived