Only Fools and Horses star reveals heartbreak as Thai wife banned from the UK

rooster59

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Orton Rd said:

It is £22.400 as they have a child

Ok thanks for the correction, My point is cabbies regardless of black cab or even private hire. Working full time they  should be earning over the threshold requirement. The uk average wage is nearly 18k for a taxi driver. If he's in London it is far more than the average surely. Perhaps creative accounting has it's downside.

7 minutes ago, JAG said:

The rules were changed, the year after my daughter was born (2006? - the rule change, I know to.the second when my daughter was born!)
I subsequently married my daughters mother. Lucy has a western name, and my surname on her birth certificate, and her Thai ID card. I am advised, and understand from reading the rules that she may be awarded British citizenship, but it is discretionary, requires a (non refundable) fee of just under £1000, and there is no appeal.
My first enquiry about the matter, made through the consular department of the embassy in Bangkok was met with a blank refusal. I am now intending to make the application in the new year, when I will have the money.
I am not really prepared to stump up the cash until I have a clear indication of exactly what the discretionary conditions are, and how transparent is the application, (£1000 is a lot of cash for a teacher!)

Two letters to the UK home office asking that have gone unanswered.

Why dont you just apply for a UK passport for her ?

The rules stated on the UK Gov website are not strictly adhered too

You can get a response from an inquiring by sending an E-mail to the passport office in Liverpool , I can post the E-mail addy, if you need it .

Just now, baansgr said:

I thought that initially but reading the article, as he is self employed he needs to show tax returns for a full year which he dosnt yet have

Ok understood so he does not have a wage of 22400 for his previous year and being self employed you have to pay your forecasted earnings a year in advance if memory serves me correctly. How should Any of this be heartbreak. They are the rules and as you all know; rules tend to change so <deleted> has the old rules got to do with it. He could have paid his tax on 22400 a year in advance and solved the issue that he claims is scuppering him.

Actually I'm wondering if the government do not take your full earnings into account given he is self employed. I believe banks view it that way too and halve your earnings when making financial decisions. Maybe they are taking that view?

7 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Ok thanks for the correction, My point is cabbies regardless of black cab or even private hire. Working full time try should be earning over the threshold requirement. The uk average wage is nearly 18k for a taxi driver. If he's in London it is far more than the average surely. Perhaps creative accounting has it's downside.

Or perhaps as soon as he earns enough he is off to Thailand to be with his wife and child for a couple of months. Perhaps not working for some 4+ months a year. Not uncommon for self employed guys to do something along these lines.

Just now, 473geo said:

Or perhaps as soon as he earns enough he is off to Thailand to be with his wife and child for a couple of months. Perhaps not working for some 4+ months a year. Not uncommon for self employed guys to do something along these lines.

If it is the case, is he not the one acting as a non permanent resident therefore any applications made to bring your family over are possibly frowned upon?

2 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

If it is the case, is he not the one acting as a non permanent resident therefore any applications made to bring your family over are possibly frowned upon?

Couldn't say, as I don't know his exact situation, just offering an alternative possibility to the income conundrum that appears to be difficult for people to digest.

23 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I thought that initially but reading the article, as he is self employed he needs to show tax returns for a full year which he dosnt yet have

I an not British and only read this article because of the title,

but IMO the title is not true, She is not banned, at this point she does not qualify,I am sure as soon as the husband meets the income requirements, her application will be reconsidered.

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

typical,, here is a hardworking guy scratching a living and is solvent, not a burden,  ( and to think his tax is giving money to absolute wasters)but its ok if you rock up on our shores on a banana boat with jack shit money in your pocket, we will give you hundreds of pounds and a <deleted> house as well .

Actually households on average incomes are net burdens.

This thread makes me immensely depressed and angry.

Here we have a British man unable to bring his legal wife in to the country, while the people we all know about are allowed to enter despite having zero to do with being British, have no desire to assimilate and are given all sorts of benefits.

I am constantly boggled by the insanity of it all, but other than cursing bureaucrats and hoping they go to hell after they die, there seems to be nothing that the ordinary bloke can do about it.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Here we have a British man unable to bring his legal wife in to the country, while the people we all know about are allowed to enter despite having zero to do with being British, have no desire to assimilate and are given all sorts of benefits.

I am constantly boggled by the insanity of it all, but other than cursing bureaucrats and hoping they go to hell after they die, there seems to be nothing that the ordinary bloke can do about it.

Me too, we need to organise.....

and what about human rights?

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Remove emotion and look at the facts, unfortunately if the UK relaxed requirements for entry and residence of non national spouses there may well be a stampede.

The acceptance of Euro law regarding immigration was to my mind largely responsible for tipping the balance in favour of Brexit.

So I wouldn't expect any major change anytime soon.

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Just to clarify: his daughter is entitled to a British passport I'm sure. 

She may or may not be entitled to a British passport, however merely having a British passport does not permit a right of abode. It will depend on her citizenship. If she was not born within the U.K. No problem however

Under British nationality law a child born to British parent(s) outside of the UK does not automatically become a British citizen. However, depending on the type of citizenship or nationality held by the parents, it may be possible to register the child as a British citizen or as another type of British national.

"Bureaucrat hell" - now there's an idea to conjure with.....

An endless progression from one queue to another, in offices with grey walls, and pale blue and beige hard plastic chairs. When you reach the pexiglass screen, with the little hole to speak through you are told that your docket is now with department "B", in room 405c, so off you go.....

On and on for eternity....

15 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Remove emotion and look at the facts, unfortunately if the UK relaxed requirements for entry and residence of non national spouses there may well be a stampede.

The acceptance of Euro law regarding immigration was to my mind largely responsible for tipping the balance in favour of Brexit.

So I wouldn't expect any major change anytime soon.

The stampede already happened!

We need something to differentiate between genuine born n bred and others!

Yes, even if the roots of the born were foreign!

Just now, 473geo said:

So I wouldn't expect any major change s anytime soon.

The "facts" appear to be that Britain allowed so many non British people to gain citizenship that their desire to bring in wives they never met, their siblings and elderly parents that never paid one penny UK tax, has resulted in an actual British person not being able to bring in a wife and a child.

How can that be looked at non emotionally.

Did thousands of BRITISH men die in all the wars of last century so that their descendants would be discriminated against? Seems being of British blood is meaningless now.

No wonder Britain is a has been nation.

2 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

it is wrong when u see all the illegals in the uk getting everything.he wants his wife and child  with him legal.but he can not,that is wrong

Totally agree but the UK has always been something of a nighmare when it comes to British nationals bringing in to the country a foreign wife

1 minute ago, laislica said:

The stampede already happened!

We something to differentiate between genuine born n bred and others!

Yes, even if the roots of the born was foreign!

You need to evaluate the possibilities of 'marriages of convenience' a relaxation of entry rules could create, and the potential spike in arrival of overseas spouses this could create - possibly diminish your idea of an already happened stampede to a mere trickle

When we marry an overseas national we are fully aware of the requirements - or should be - does it make meeting the rules any easier to accept, no, but that is the challenge we chose to take on!!

"How can that be looked at non emotionally."

"Did thousands of BRITISH men die in all the wars of last century"

Well cut the comments like the above for a start! and an understanding that some controls must be in place for the benefit of the many, and not relaxed to the benefit of the few, to the detriment of the many.

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

You need to evaluate the possibilities of 'marriages of convenience' a relaxation of entry rules could create, and the potential spike in arrival of overseas spouses this could create - possibly diminish your idea of an already happened stampede to a mere trickle

When we marry an overseas national we are fully aware of the requirements - or should be - does it make meeting the rules any easier to accept, no, but that is the challenge we chose to take on!!

Sorry to say that this idiot had no idea!

I assumed I had certain basic rights....

Then I found out - too late - that I had none!

The problem is that knee jerk laws are introduced and there is no room for common sense to be used to take into account the different situations that occur.

Discretion has been mentioned in this thread but discretion is not allowed to be used in every case.

Perhaps it should be?

If at say 70, I chose to marry a 50 y/o and I have an excellent annual income from pensions, then why should it be an issue as to where I settle together with my wife?

Why would she need to integrate?

Are you integrated into Thailand?

Probably not, so you can see what I mean. There is no need to integrate if you are old enough and have sufficient income not to be a burden.

Think folk should forget about who the guy was in the OP...It is about now and he is just a guy trying to get bye....An older guy heading for retirement teams up with a much younger foreign lady and they have a babe...Great....But from the govs perhaps view, if the guy pops off in the near future the tax payer will be financing his stuff...In fact in 4 years time they probably will be..

We must put aside folk who are walking into the UK, that is the gov of the day thing, probably the main reason for Brexit and the UK folks thoughts...

Just now, gandalf12 said:

Totally agree but the UK has always been something of a nighmare when it comes to British nationals bringing in to the country a foreign wife

Not true.  My mother was Finnish and many decades ago this wasn't even an issue, far less a problem.

Times change, and it has become a problem.

The man in question is 61 with a wife of 36 and a young child - and doesn't earn (according to his tax statements....) 22.000 odd p.a.....  I'd be suprised if various benefits weren't quickly claimed if the FAR younger wife plus child were allowed into the UK.

I've no sympathy at all.

Just now, laislica said:

Sorry to say that this idiot had no idea!

I assumed I had certain basic rights....

Then I found out - too late - that I had none!

The problem is that knee jerk laws are introduced and there is no room for common sense to be used to take into account the different situations that occur.

Discretion has been mentioned in this thread but discretion is not allowed to be used in every case.

Perhaps it should be?

If at say 70, I chose to marry a 50 y/o and I have an excellent annual income from pensions, then why should it be an issue as to where I settle together with my wife?

Why would she need to integrate?

Are you integrated into Thailand?

Probably not, so you can see what I mean. There is no need to integrate if you are old enough and have sufficient income not to be a burden.

"If at say 70, I chose to marry a 50 y/o and I have an excellent annual income from pensions, then why should it be an issue as to where I settle together with my wife?"

I gather it wouldn't be a problem as long as you have 18,600 p.a. income? 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Which rules were different ?

UK Asians were bringing wifes back to the UK , as were British bringing mail order brides back .

Were they actual different rules for different people ?

Yes,  Sub Continent were allowed to bring other generations to settle without restriction, so grandparents as well as siblings and parents could join those already settled.  It was not like that for others, such as Thai families where a Thai was married to a farang.  they could visit, but not settle. 

2 hours ago, isco said:

she'd get in alright if she was muslim

That didn't take long.

Only five posts in and the first xenophobe crawled from beneath his rock to seize the opportunity to illustrate his religious bigotry.

Even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.

:coffee1:

1 minute ago, iReason said:

That didn't take long.

Only five posts in and the first xenophobe crawled from beneath his rock to seize the opportunity to illustrate his religious bigotry.

Even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.

:coffee1:

Infact, the lady may well be muslim, for all anyone knows.

Archived