The story of an unholy monk, a cat named Booby, an angry teacher, the police......and Thai social media

webfact

The story of an unholy monk, a cat named Booby, an angry teacher, the police......and Thai social media

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

RAYONG: -- A story is doing the rounds of Thai media that encapsulates many issues of the day.

It includes an alleged cruel monk. A battered cat with two names. An angry teacher. An even angrier internet population. A mediating abbot. A vet. Investigating police.

And a potential for defrocking and jail time!

The story began at Wat Takuan Khonkharam in Rayong when a primary school teacher at the temple school secretly took pictures of a monk allegedly using a shoe to whack a cat.

The pictures caused a storm online after they were posted by Nathaphon Jongkonklang, a P5 teacher.

Thai Rath reporters who went to the temple yesterday were taken to the "scene of the crime" near the monk's quarters by Phra Phaiboon Aspho who is at the center of the row.

He said he has 20 cats and four dogs. One of the cats climbed up on a table and urinated on his power bank that made the monk mad.

So he chased the errant moggie. He caught up with Booby - not Leo as was reported on the internet - and gave it a lesson with a stick. He was further enraged after Booby scratched him.

He didn't know he was being filmed by the teacher.

The abbot called in the teacher and director of the school to calm the escalating situation after the world of social media was getting out of hand.

But an amicable solution could not be found and the police called in the monk to give an explanation.

Monk Phaiboon told Map Ta Phut cops that he was just toying with Booby and never used his shoe.

A vet confirmed just a slight mouth wound for Booby after the teacher took the cat in for treatment.

But the cops are still investigating.

If they find a case for animal abuse the monk could be defrocked and face two years inside or a 40,000 baht fine  - or both!

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-18

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Thais are so good about staying out of people's business in the real world. So why are they such busybodies on social media.

Man hits cat with shoe.  Who cares.

Because the social controls that keep them in place in the real world, don't apply on social medial. No suprise that the pendulum swings completely the other way when given half a chance.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

A big brouhaha about a cat, if you only knew how many thousands of people die

needlessly in this country every year from a myriad of causes  many are

completely avoidable, you wouldn't worry a cat who got hit with a shoe,

If you knew how many TV members there are, what's the big deal when one

turns up....

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I have a solution..........

catcarrier.jpg

I see the patent number on this device. Do they make big one for human being? My gay colleague at work annoys me all the time. If I hang this thing in my place of work it will send the message to him.

Why does a monk, who has renounced all worldly possessions, need a power bank? Surely not to charge the smartphone he also shouldn't have?

I find it increasingly difficult to respect these men in orange. The media are full of stories about their irreligious behavior. Allowing temporary members and penitent criminals to join further devalues the office. 

Still people feed them and build them large temples, only to see them become business centres rather than religious institutions.

Buddha would turn in his grave at these antics, such a mockery of his teachings and principles.

9 hours ago, madusa said:

I see the patent number on this device. Do they make big one for human being? My gay colleague at work annoys me all the time. If I hang this thing in my place of work it will send the message to him.

I will get onto it right away....maybe need to fit wheels though as it may be a bit heavy to carry around....

11 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Why does a monk, who has renounced all worldly possessions, need a power bank? Surely not to charge the smartphone he also shouldn't have?

I find it increasingly difficult to respect these men in orange. The media are full of stories about their irreligious behavior. Allowing temporary members and penitent criminals to join further devalues the office. 

Still people feed them and build them large temples, only to see them become business centres rather than religious institutions.

Buddha would turn in his grave at these antics, such a mockery of his teachings and principles.

It's a sham and a con, same as most organized religion. Is this a "Eureka" moment for you?

Archived