Is TVF exceptionally slow today?

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still abnormally slow in fact seems to getting slower everyday and many "Bad GAteway 502" errors so that you have to try and load a page again after waiting a 30 seconds to load. The bad gateway is eating posts as as well. I hope this is not the new normal for Thaivisa, it has always worked very well in the past until this last week. Just sayin...

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Not good anymore.  Just wait until 1000 and it seem to go to crap every day and today is no different

Yep, same here and seems to get slower and slower as the day progresses, then around 16.30 odd speeds up again.

23 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As for attack I checked the users and it appeared to be the normal under 3k listed yesterday and the same today.

It was requests or something like that not a lot members on the forum.

Just posting info that techdoctor posted in the private forum for mods yesterday evening. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

As for attack I checked the users and it appeared to be the normal under 3k listed yesterday and the same today.

Server resources were drained due to rejecting spam bot attacks from known spamming IP addresses, according to Tech Doctor.

Not just slow- taking at least 30 seconds to load anything- but the page jumps around when trying to click on the desired sub forum.

To get this far I was initially guided to the farming forum as the page jumped just as I clicked, then the usual 30 second or more wait to get back and then another 30 second or more to get on page 8, then another 30 second or more wait to get onto page 7.

It may be that TVF is under attack from some organisation that objects to grumpy old men complaining about Thailand all the time, but even sites like Lonely Planet manage faster response times.

This problem is nothing new. I was complaining about it over a year ago.

Perhaps it's time to split TVF into two. One part with all the useful sub forums like travel, visas etc and DIY etc, and another different forum with the political and grumpy old men subforums.

It would also help avoid losing interaction with the useful sites, as opposed to the gossip and passing the day sites if one gets suspended for making an unpopular comment on the political forums.

What is unavoidable though, is that if it isn't sorted, TVF is going to start shedding posters as they move away to different forums with functioning sites.

Precisely. If yesterday afternoon the site was "under attack" by spam bots, then what was the reason for the slowness the afternoon before that, and the afternoon before that , and the afternoon before that, and the afternoon before that, and the afternoon before that?

If the site has been under attack by spambots for ten days, then why were we told, only a few days ago, that "plug-ins" were being disabled  sequentially to find reasons for the slow down?

These reasons sound a bit... well if you give two or three explanations and the site is still slow, it just sounds made up, even if it isn't.

Oddly, I am not having any issues so far today. Thanks for fixing them for me anyway.

#######################################################################################

Perhaps offtopic but of interest to some:

Phone lines have gone totally haywire today, you dial one number in Bangkok from Isaan and get a completely different phone number. I don't do a lot of phone calls so maybe that is normal these days, don't know. Spoke for ages about getting a colonoscopy with a polite attentive operator, got the line transferred to some other department who politely listened and commented that I was welcome to come into the bank for a consultation or email the details about the colonoscopy. Bank? "Yes of course sir this is an investment bank not a  hospital gastroenterology department." My phone showed I'd dialed the correct number for the hospital but the investment bank's number was a completely unrelated set of numbers. Also today phone pick ups trigger an automatic line disconnect as well. After 20 tries finally got through to the hospital only to have the funds on my phone dry up just before I was going to end the call by giving them my details. 

On 25/09/2017 at 3:38 PM, Jai Dee said:

The ThaiVisa technical personnel are working directly with Invision to resolve the problems.

Plugins are being disabled and re-enabled in order to fault-find.

The version of php is also to be updated.

I'm sure that there are many other issues that the technical personnel are working on too, but that is all we are aware of at the moment.

Trust me... it is just as frustrating for the moderating team monitoring the Forum, but it is something that is neither within our circle of control nor sphere of influence.

Does that mean we can post rude words and get away with it...?:biggrin:

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The site is very fast today, like any other site I use on the internet.

I know why that is so, but forum rules dictate that I can't share that information.

Please, please, pretty please, just a hint?

On 9/29/2017 at 2:38 PM, Tech Doctor said:

We are being hit with wave after wave of DDoS attack at the moment, we are trying to mitigate and block these issues.

We have more bot traffic than there are chinese in pattaya.

Bare with us whilst we put some new firewall rules in place.

TD

Fair enough, but any idea why this forum is "being hit with wave after wave of DDoS attack at the moment"?

l ask as tvf isn't exactly a high-profile site with many enemies or profit to be gained from attacking the forum?

51 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know why that is so, but forum rules dictate that I can't share that information.

Not on my computer.....

It started off well, but earlier than normal went into 'go (VERY) slow' mode again.....

55 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

"I know why that is so, but forum rules dictate that I can't share that information."

Then why post that item of 'information'? :angry:

24 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Fair enough, but any idea why this forum is "being hit with wave after wave of DDoS attack at the moment"?

l ask as tvf isn't exactly a high-profile site with many enemies or profit to be gained from attacking the forum?

You think that generating a Ddos attack is difficult ???

Read this:

https://securelist.com/the-cost-of-launching-a-ddos-attack/77784/

Archived