Entry fee at Koh Samed (if you have a work permit & driving licence)

Longbow212

It's 18 months since I last went. Contrary to a few years previously, the guy wouldn't let me in at the Thai rate with my Thai driving licence. When the missis had words with him the 200 baht fee somehow became 100 baht, but it still rankled. I don't like the place much anyway, the beaches and everything along towards Laem Mae Phim are much to be preferred.

On 9/18/2017 at 8:36 PM, Longbow212 said:

Just wondering if you can still use a driving license and work permit to enter Koh Samed national park for the local rate. I'm happy to pay the local rate to enter the park but will consider going elsewhere if they want to dual price me.

... go elsewhere bro ... out of LOS ... they are out out screw you ... ai baa!

The two National Parks near us changed signage at the entranceways in 2013, stating the lower price was for "Thai ID Card Holders Only". And to make their point,  my partner had to produce hers ... being near Cambo border we can't have those pesky Khmers in as locals can we?

That should be clear enough and reduce the amount of times the ticket staff are confronted by a moaning foreigner claiming his driver's licence somehow makes him a local

But of course "it's the principle" as stated in a thousand threads already on dual-pricing...

4 hours ago, Big Guns said:

To the OP you could do what I did & get Thai citizenship if you want to pay the Thai price. I can now grow rice to maximize my frugality :smile:

Could the OP just go and do that because I cannot think of a way that I could, retired so no work permit, pay Thai tax on my interest, maried put kids through education (not mine the Mrs) but not even a hope of residency.

Magic solution welcome.

22 minutes ago, everett kendall said:

True. 4 yrs ago I got into Kow Jai with drivers Lic. at Thai price.

But I have not tried it yet eith my Pink id card.

I have (different park) been refused Thai price with Thai pink ID and licence got a firm no.

2 hours ago, everett kendall said:

I have a Official Thailand ID card

(pink  in color).

It identifies me, just as a one issued to a Thai.  Not many farang have them as you can only get the after having the Yellow Book.

Have not been any where I could use it to get the Thai price.

Wonder if it works.

It won't work in National parks but to other places lake Zoo's , Waterparks, floating markets amusemetparks etc it works fine.

22 minutes ago, khunano said:

I think it is a matter of principle rather than money. They (the Thais) have theirs, I have mine - hence will stay away of any national park where I'm supposed to pay 10 times the local fee.

principle schminciple. That fact that I'd let it worry me would actually make it more of an issue to me than if I just pay the fee. 

Its not like I visit national parks etc daily and I'm more than happy to waste money on drinking, nights out, lady drinks, taxis, Starbucks, sweet treats (you get my drift right?) so that small entry fee once or twice a year doesn't need to be anymore than an afterthought 

29 minutes ago, khunano said:

I think it is a matter of principle rather than money. They (the Thais) have theirs, I have mine - hence will stay away of any national park where I'm supposed to pay 10 times the local fee.

Same here. Totally stay away from any place where this practice takes place. Haven't stepped inside a Thai national park for a decade or longer. Nor any temple or historical site that charges foreigners extra. They got sod all worth seeing anyway. Why pay to go to Koh Samet and swim with plastic bags and get dogshit on your feet? Those lazy bastards that collect the entrance fees from tourists should be doing some cleaning up for a change.

8 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

principle schminciple. That fact that I'd let it worry me would actually make it more of an issue to me than if I just pay the fee. 

Its not like I visit national parks etc daily and I'm more than happy to waste money on drinking, nights out, lady drinks, taxis, Starbucks, sweet treats (you get my drift right?) so that small entry fee once or twice a year doesn't need to be anymore than an afterthought 

That's what I said, it is not about money, we squander it in many ways, however I do not like the feeling of being screwed. If you decide to spend money on overpriced Starbucks coffee that's your decision and every customer pays the same amount.

9 minutes ago, khunano said:

That's what I said, it is not about money, we squander it in many ways, however I do not like the feeling of being screwed. If you decide to spend money on overpriced Starbucks coffee that's your decision and every customer pays the same amount.

And my point is why bother with feeling screwed when it really isn't such a big deal. Of it bothers you that much don't put yourself in that position.

Is 3 or 4 dollars really worth getting flustered? (And I no you said it's not about money) I think no. 

I respect your opinion and feelings, I merely stating my position. 

I'm mentally too busy/lazy to let such inconsequential things have any affect on my emotion.

On 9/19/2017 at 12:34 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

It's 18 months since I last went. Contrary to a few years previously, the guy wouldn't let me in at the Thai rate with my Thai driving licence. When the missis had words with him the 200 baht fee somehow became 100 baht, but it still rankled. I don't like the place much anyway, the beaches and everything along towards Laem Mae Phim are much to be preferred.

On 9/21/2017 at 10:10 PM, RoyDee said:

... go elsewhere bro ... out of LOS ... they are out out screw you ... ai baa!

...screw you for $4 ... sure go elsewhere... must be worth it..

8 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

And my point is why bother with feeling screwed when it really isn't such a big deal. Of it bothers you that much don't put yourself in that position.

Is 3 or 4 dollars really worth getting flustered? (And I no you said it's not about money) I think no. 

I'm mentally too busy/lazy to let such inconsequential things have any affect on my emotion.

I certainly accept your opinion and feelings on this as well. Actually I'd wish that such trivial matter would not get so close to me and leave me as cool as it does you. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact whether I consider something fair. If not, it can indeed affect my emotion.

1 minute ago, khunano said:

I certainly accept your opinion and feelings on this as well. Actually I'd wish that such trivial matter would not get so close to me and leave me as cool as it does you. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact whether I consider something fair. If not, it can indeed affect my emotion.

...fair not fair ... think about it... what is your income.. pension etc...  do you bring in a bit more than 350 Bt a day?...  One good reason the locals shouldn't get a better deal?  

17 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

...fair not fair ... think about it... what is your income.. pension etc...  do you bring in a bit more than 350 Bt a day?...  One good reason the locals shouldn't get a better deal?  

and what about the Thai business mogul who drives up in his Mercedes 500, how much is he supposed to pay?

1 hour ago, khunano said:

and what about the Thai business mogul who drives up in his Mercedes 500, how much is he supposed to pay?

...well there are a lot more poor people.. if you want equal pricing visit Australia, Canada or the US..  minimum $20 per person to do anything.. if Thailand is to unequal or too expensive for you.. try somewhere else..  no sympathy for penny pinching wingers..

9 hours ago, everett kendall said:

I have a Official Thailand ID card

(pink  in color).

It identifies me, just as a one issued to a Thai.  Not many farang have them as you can only get the after having the Yellow Book.

Have not been any where I could use it to get the Thai price.

Wonder if it works.

worked for my at Kho Samet and Noong Nooch Pataya

11 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Is it not more like 10 dollars?

I too have stopped going to National parks and local attractions as the feeling of being discriminated against or simply taken advantage of aggravates me. I feel I am subsidising the locals and they don't deserve it. Time they started paying their own way.

I could understand if it was only applied to tourists but more recently they have been more strict and all foreigners have to pay the high price. The difference is excessive too. Also it isn't as if the money goes towards upkeep of the park, more upkeep of someone's Merc!

Archived