BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

watgate

Is is safe to visit Myanmar as a tourist

I have a trip arranged and paid for to Myanmar for 1 week the last week in October and I was wondering if it is safe to go there considering what is currently going on with the Rohingya and the Myanmar military? I have read where Al Qaeda is asking for Islamic terrorists to go to Myanmar to fight the infidels and things seem to be escalating. What do you think about the current situation and would you be reluctant to visit Myanmar in the foreseeable future considering what is currently going on there?

Just back from Kayah state and not one of the local folk I chatted with even mentioned what is going on. Your plan takes you nowhere near Rakhine state so go ahead and enjoy your trip.

Just don't tell them your a spy, Muslim or an American.

Why should the American bit be a problem?

Myanmar people have high regards for America generally,  I see no issue there for travelling Americans.    Business as usual in Myanmar,   it's big news internationally but locals can't  pay much interest in it.   It's a poor place,    people are just too busy  struggling with their daily lives.                 

On 10/3/2017 at 12:17 PM, LongThaimer said:

Myanmar people have high regards for America generally,  I see no issue there for travelling Americans.    Business as usual in Myanmar,   it's big news internationally but locals can't  pay much interest in it.   It's a poor place,    people are just too busy  struggling with their daily lives.                 

True. It's not particularly relevant for most people because the only area affected is northern Rakhine state near the Bangladeshi border, which has been a forbidden area for foreigners for years and even Myanmar citizens with nothing to do there are discouraged from going there.

Elsewhere it's business as usual.

On 9/19/2017 at 8:15 AM, Halfaboy said:

No problem for you. If an area is dangerous they don't let you go in.

Correct. Also, there is absolutely nothing of interest in the affected areas for international tourists anyway. The closest tourist attraction is Mrauk U, which may or may not be accessible atm but otherwise few tourists go any further than Ngapali beach, which despite also being in Rakhine state is hundreds of kms away from the area currently under siege by militants and very safe (it also has an airport so no need to go overland if you don't want). The vast majority of tourists who've never been to Myanmar will go to the usual places like Yangon, Mandalay, Inle Lake and Bagan without even expressing the slightest interest in going off the beaten track anyway. For many tourists, especially the fly-in, fly-out types, even Hpa-an, Kyaitiyo (Golden Rock), Mawlamyine, Hsipaw and Pyin Oo Lwin are "roughing it" despite these and many other secondary destinations being very popular and easily accessible these days.

For Mrauk U the airport is in Sittwe,  you need travel by water or land ( 3-4 hours) to get there.

But its safe, if it was not you would NOT be allowed to travel there

2 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

For Mrauk U the airport is in Sittwe,  you need travel by water or land ( 3-4 hours) to get there.

But its safe, if it was not you would NOT be allowed to travel there

Good to know. I haven't been there but sounds like you have. I have read on various travel fora that Mrauk U has been periodically closed to tourists over the years - the reason being instability along the way to the site.

What's the situation with checkpoints in Myanmar, similar to Thailand?  Also carrying passport at all times?  Similar or different?

I've been to Myanmar a few times have travelled to all the major attractions/ cities and have never been through a checkpoint or been asked for my passport .

5 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

What's the situation with checkpoints in Myanmar, similar to Thailand?  Also carrying passport at all times?  Similar or different?

I've been Yangon, Mandalay and Began.  Never saw a checkpoint except for some serious looking barbed wire barriers and soldiers with machine guns outside of Insean Prison, but that was back a few years after the vote was negated and things were a lot tenser.  Beautiful people with warm hearts.  Enjoy.  And you're going at the right time before it gets smokey.