What a tip! More beach trash in Pattaya as hoteliers slam council

webfact

What a tip! More beach trash in Pattaya as hoteliers slam council

5pm.jpg

Picture: Manager online

PATTAYA: -- Manager reported that Wong Amat beach in Pattaya was like a refuse dump yesterday.

And the hoteliers were as mad as hell after calls to the local authority to help clear up the mess went unanswered.

A ton of plastic bottles and other debris had blown in off the sea and was covering a three kilometer stretch.

Tourists were trying to do a spot of sunbathing and putting a brave face on what had become of their holiday destination.

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

One unnamed hotelier said that it happens every September and October but they had never seen it as bad as this.

Calls to the local authority to help were ignored, they said, with hotels using their own staff to mount a clean up of the trash.

Without themselves taking responsibility their business would be ruined, they said.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-19

It's about time the hoteliers finally raised their collective voice to City Hall.    They need to be doing much more of this--and they WILL be listened to if they all get together and speak as one.  They have the power if they will just use it--to advocate for infrastructure improvements. daily beach cleanup, strict crackdown on illegal condo daily room rentals, and so much more.   They need to keep shouting at City Hall until they get action.

This is getting out of hand, not only in Pattaya but so many beautiful spots devastated by this crap.  

On a side note, my mother and sister are coming here and I plan to take them to one of the islands/beaches.  Does anybody know a beach that is still intact, still beautiful like they were a decade or two ago?

30 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

I often wonder what these local authorities DO

They outsource refuse collection to a private contractor. The council is unhappy with their current contractor but they have missed their own deadline for re-tendering the contract. Subsequently, the below par contractor has had their contract extended.

I have summarised from a previous thread for this post. I couldn't make it up.

42 minutes ago, Regyai said:

A ton of plastic bottles 

Sounds like hog heaven for those handcart pushing trash sifters.

Maybe city hall just needs to bus in a few dozen of them

The prisons have a huge amount of free labour.  Get a bunch of trustees to clear it up and give to the trash (Re-cyclers)  collectors and they can cash it in. Perfect solution but too easy for the Thai authorities, and no money for them so it wont happen.

"It's very rare that Thais take responsibility. Perhaps there is hope for the future. "

ANYD IT WILL STAY EVER LIKE THIS AS NOTHING HAS A CONSEQUENCE FOR THOSE WHO NOT TAKE THE RESPONSIBILTY

Thats the way to find the high end tourists: they will never ever come to stay in Thailand , at least not in Pattaya!

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Calls to the local authority to help were ignored, they said, with hotels using their own staff to mount a clean up of the trash.

Without themselves taking responsibility their business would be ruined, they said.

They can't use social media to shame them into action - they'll lose bookings by posting trash pics.

Obviously the authorities get to slide on this one, and businesses will have to pool together and do it themselves.

3 hours ago, diddygq said:

This is getting out of hand, not only in Pattaya but so many beautiful spots devastated by this crap.  

On a side note, my mother and sister are coming here and I plan to take them to one of the islands/beaches.  Does anybody know a beach that is still intact, still beautiful like they were a decade or two ago?

Well I can tell you...don't take them to Koh Samui which has a 3 storey 250,000 tonne rotting stinking (can smell it over most of the island) pile of trash.

Koh Lan...has a massive pile of rotting stinking trash as well...

Pattaya..well say no more swim with the turds...and watch out for ladyboys ripping jewellery

Others islands...I dont know so can't comment...

You might be better taking a short plane trip to another country.

4 hours ago, diddygq said:

You may consider taking your mother and sister to HH....I holiday often in Hua Hin...I am Bangkok based.....pleasant place...night markets....clean beaches and plenty of space...I think the local authorities there realise the importance of clean beaches and surroundings...overall it is a "clean place"...compared to the other "shitholes" in Thailand.

4 hours ago, diddygq said:

Unfortunately, this is becoming a universal problem. If you read the travel forums, many popular beaches, not only in Thailand, but also in other countries such as Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, etc., are to a greater or lesser extent polluted/trashed. You would probably need to go off the beaten track to find a pristine beach in Thailand. What goes around comes around. If we keep treating the ocean as a large sewer, it will eventually send back what we dump into it.

20 hours ago, diddygq said:

Koh Phangan has some of the cleanest beaches in Thailand. The business owners there there have taken responsibility for the beeches in front of their hotels and resorts. Most are very clean and pleasant.  

The same thing happens in Chumphon and I should add that it is not solely residents of Thailand to blame. When the Pacific monsoon blows all the crap from the gulf and from the ocean around Vietnam, Philippines and  SE Malaysia gets pushed onto the Southern Thai and Malaysian coasts. The authorities in Chumphon let it build up because cleaning every day is futile. By February the beaches are usually beautiful again.

3 hours ago, SABloke said:

The same thing happens in Chumphon and I should add that it is not solely residents of Thailand to blame. When the Pacific monsoon blows all the crap from the gulf and from the ocean around Vietnam, Philippines and  SE Malaysia gets pushed onto the Southern Thai and Malaysian coasts. The authorities in Chumphon let it build up because cleaning every day is futile. By February the beaches are usually beautiful again.

Look at the labels. 99% is Thai trash.

Actually plastic is a worldwide problem , the beaches in Australia , in America and the pacific islands are also experiencing a lot of plastic in the ocean that eventually will end up on the beaches. 

I am not so sure the plastic bottles that ended up on wongamat beach are produced in Thailand, they can travel a long distance. 

Archived