Too Many Non-Alcoholics in AA

MrPatrickThai

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/10/2017 at 11:46 AM, rucus7 said:

I made the self commitment of one year without alcohol. After that one year I realized I feel good not drinking. However I did replace one addiction with another. I became an exercise fanatic and middle distance runner. Some use AA and the support it gives them. I found another path.

On 09/10/2017 at 11:46 AM, rucus7 said:

I made the self commitment of one year without alcohol. After that one year I realized I feel good not drinking. However I did replace one addiction with another. I became an exercise fanatic and middle distance runner. Some use AA and the support it gives them. I found another path.

Thanks for the answer. Personally,I could never quit on will power.

I certainly don't take ANY credit for my sobriety. 

As a matter of interest, are you an AA member? 

No, I have never attended a meeting. However one of my siblings stopped drinking and still  attends and sponsors others. I have a close friend in Thailand that attends regularly. Both have more years not drinking than I do. I fully understand that A.A. can be beneficial. I find this thread fascinating. All the quibbling about how and what defines a drunk/problem drinker/ alcoholic seems petty.

• 2 months later...
On 23/12/2017 at 1:20 PM, Sheryl said:

I personally practice Buddhism but found that the 12 steps not only did nto conflict but greatly augmented my Buddhist practice and indeed, helped fill in some gaps/areas which the Buddhist teachings , oriented as they are to Asian cultures, did not fully address, at least not in a way that worked for me as a Westerner steeped in an ethos of individualism and excessive emphasis on self will.

Recently, Santikaro gave a lecture on Buddhism and the 12 steps at our meeting for Thai alcoholics.

Santikaro was a monk and translator for Aj. Buddadassa Bhikhu.

http://www.liberationpark.org/events/12step.htm

I'm not a Buddhist but went to Suan Mokh many years ago(drunk), for a silent retreat. 

There was a monk there that violated the AA big book with Buddhism. Many similarities.

On 13/01/2018 at 9:14 PM, rucus7 said:

. All the quibbling about how and what defines a drunk/problem drinker/ alcoholic seems petty.

I think it is of utmost importance to know what your problem is, so you can take the appropriate action.

Archived