"Rude hospital operators" fail to turn up to apologize to corpse at dead youth's funeral

webfact

"Rude hospital operators" fail to turn up to apologize to corpse at dead youth's funeral

5pm.jpg

video screenshot

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: -- Two 1669 operators who took a call from a sick man and advised him to take some paracetamol failed to turn up at his funeral yesterday.

The operators who the family said spoke rudely to them have been off work from Prajuab Hospital due to stress said doctors.

Look Chit, 20, who was suffering from the blood disorder thalassemia was told over the phone to take the headache medicine. And was further told there was no ambulance available and one would be sent in the

morning.

By that time he was dead.

The family wanted the operators to come and perform a ceremony know as "khamaa sop" in Thai that essentially means to apologize to a corpse.

The ceremony is important in Thai culture and thinking as it puts people's minds at rest. It is sometimes done by murderers to their victims.

The family said they have no intention of seeking damages in the death of Look Chit, they just wanted to put the matter behind them.

Doctors from Prajuab Khirikhan Hospital attended the funeral rites yesterday saying that it was regrettable.

But the operators had been given time off as they were unable to work due to stress and they had not been able to contact them.

Source: Bectero

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-20

1 hour ago, Maejo Man said:

But the operators had been given time off as they were unable to work due to stress and they had not been able to contact them.

They should be given permanent leave!

Depends how well organised the hospital is and what training the phone staff had.  Things are far from perfect time in many of the smaller hospitals.  I have been to the local small one near here and family have had mixed results there from satisfactory  (old lady with a stroke) to disastrous for my brother in law sent home after a RTA with a rib puncturing his lung.

He would have died if the family had not taken him to a different bigger hospital 20 km further away.  These things shouldn't happen but it is a struggle to get everywhere up to expected western standard.  Poor guy.

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Depends how well organised the hospital is and what training the phone staff had.  Things are far from perfect time in many of the smaller hospitals.  I have been to the local small one near here and family have had mixed results there from satisfactory  (old lady with a stroke) to disastrous for my brother in law sent home after a RTA with a rib puncturing his lung.

He would have died if the family had not taken him to a different bigger hospital 20 km further away.  These things shouldn't happen but it is a struggle to get everywhere up to expected western standard.  Poor guy.

mistakes happen in the west as well, brain tumour diagnosed as migraine, sepsis as flu etc.

Since when are operators authorised to prescribe medication over the phone?

Saying an ambulance wouldn't arrive until the next day seems a little far fetched even for Thailand.   In Australia if an ambulance hasn't arrived in 10 minutes even during heavy peak traffic there would be a major investigation.

Medieval; as if it would make a change if the blokes would have attended the funeral. Basic procedures seem to have been completely missing. The bloke would be alive if he would have been able to get to a medical institute; a 1669 operator is certainly not trained to give medical advice.

Mind boggling, that such things can happen in the 21st century in a country like Thailand ....... 

On 9/21/2017 at 3:50 AM, Thechook said:

Since when are operators authorised to prescribe medication over the phone?

Saying an ambulance wouldn't arrive until the next day seems a little far fetched even for Thailand.   In Australia if an ambulance hasn't arrived in 10 minutes even during heavy peak traffic there would be a major investigation.

same in the UK except it would only be investigated after a 10 hour wait

gee, I am of Greek ethnicity. I have at times been diagnosed with a mild sometimes not even detectible case of Beta thalassemia. It is so slight it is only detected when special testing is done such as when I joined the Air Force, and twice since has not been detected.  I never had any symptoms, no fatigue or anything.  A bit hard for me to understand how a headache and a few aspirin led to death.  Seems like an awful extreme case 

Archived