Marrying a "rich" westerner may not be a "dream come true" - says BBC

webfact

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

One shares money out of kindness... that is why people give to charities and help people less fortunate. Did you really not know this? 

None of your little ranting generalizations apply to me or any of the farang I know. We don't have bargirl wives and probably live a fairly typical married life in any culture. But, we do not brag about this as you brag about sponging off your wife as if it is some sort of badge of honor... oh yeah, you treat her to a night in the Hilton using your points... she must be proud. 

Are you saying my wife is not kind? Is this another one of your hypocritical conclusions? Because she also shares out of kindness. :sleepy: 

I ask you again. Is your wife extremely selfish for accepting money that you give her? If not, why put the same label on me? It doesn't make any sense because my wife doesn't actually give me money.

My "ranting generalizations" are just statements about your hypocrisy. You took the first jab at me and I just continued replying to your foolish statements.

Why does it hit a nerve so much that I am in a relationship that is not based on a financial transaction? If you feel so generous towards Thai people, you could simply donate money instead of marrying the "less fortunate" women who have no choice. How about that, you hero?

4 hours ago, Thaimike370 said:

The BBC is totally biased about just about everything.  The UK government should shut it down.

Without bias the news would be dull, devoid of humanity, a simple regurgitation of mundane facts, we all enjoy biased news, and of course the BBC is expected to have a certain bias, how would you feel if they were not biased towards democracy for instance?  I think you would probably also be calling for the government to shut them down if that were the case.  The real issue is just how the bias is managed, most claiming that the BBC has a clear bias toward the left, but in reality they give more air time to the Tories than Labour, throughout the Brexit debate they gave more time to Eurosceptics than to those seeking to remain, over the past few years they have given more airtime to business representatives than either ITV or channel 4 news, and far more time to business representatives than to trade union reps or organised labour representives, throughout the financial crisis the largest airtime by far was given to City Bankers, the very people who caused the crash, while much much less time was given to academics and independent experts, so looking at the evidence it is actually clear that although many claim that the BBC is biased to the left they are actually the opposite, they are a bunch of Tory centered, Eurosceptic, independent business focussed, banker lovers, biased none the less.

50 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't make big bucks, just regular bucks.

Why would I share my money with her family? Her parents have more than my whole family combined. 

You say I am selfish, so what about your wife? You say you are lucky enough to share, so you give her money. Is she also "incredibly selfish"? 

You guys just can't see much beyond your hypocritical ways.

"Don't judge guys with bargirls" you say.

"She's 30 years younger than him, none you your business" you say

"I give my wife 30k baht a month and her family 20k to sit at home. Everyone's happy" you say

So, a guy  comes to Thailand and shacks up with an employed middle class woman and suddenly all your fake non judgmental ways go out of window?  Mind your own damn business and enjoy getting squeezed every month, "I say".

in your other statement you say that your wife pays and you wouldn't have it any other way... but yet you go on to say that you would help her if she lived in Canada in your place?? I am glad to hear that - you seem to put so much stock in the financial aspects... 

But, aren't you capable of seeing the qualities of your wife w/o playing it against the shadows of an internet forum where guys complain about near everything here. 

My wife stayed with me during some tough times and when I came out the other side, glad to share. We help nieces and nephews with schooling, including one going on to medical school. We are raising a 12 year old and giving her a good education too. We have bought farm land and let family members farm it. And it is rewarding to see them doing well. No, they do not sit on their butt and look for handouts. We gave a helping hand and they appreciate it and are doing fine. Sure, I paid some money when my wife's father had a heart attack - and benefitted by a better hospital. Sure, you angry forum guys with the stereotypes will call me and guys like me suckers... 

23 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Are you saying my wife is not kind? Is this another one of your hypocritical conclusions? Because she also shares out of kindness. :sleepy: 

I ask you again. Is your wife extremely selfish for accepting money that you give her? If not, why put the same label on me? It doesn't make any sense because my wife doesn't actually give me money.

My "ranting generalizations" are just statements about your hypocrisy. You took the first jab at me and I just continued replying to your foolish statements.

Why does it hit a nerve so much that I am in a relationship that is not based on a financial transaction? If you feel so generous towards Thai people, you could simply donate money instead of marrying the "less fortunate" women who have no choice. How about that, you hero?

Much rather be a hero than a proud sponge... but you did say on this thread that you have offered and your wife refused, so, maybe your not as bad as you make yourself sound... you also mentioned that her parents are richer than you... so, then there is no need of your little money - though why they think you are lower than a cockroach? And yes, I agree and do help people outside the family who have run into hard times... thanks for asking. 

And that includes some people in USA who have run on difficult times too... I try and help people who are kind and having difficulties... 

9 hours ago, al007 said:

Yes I live in Issan, have thai wife 9yrs best thing that ever happened to me, we give her parents a small but meaningful amount of support, and they respect our privacy, I also happily provide for two stepsons

Those who throw big money like mentioned above are foolish or stupid, it will simply result in mor more being wanted

I am a very lucky man, and this is wife no four ;best of all the ones I have had by a long way

may i nominate you as the new "thaivisa poster child" . ??

farang buy drink.jpg

6 hours ago, lucjoker said:

why? why?....why?

average length of Thai penis is 3 cm .............

Yeah, I know  - you're just kidding. But. . .  

According to independent surveys, the average Caucasian Westerner's willy happens to be half an inch longer, on average, then his Thai counterpart's. Not exactly a difference to send the massage girls diving out of windows whenever a white guy walks through the door.

In any case, we all know that it's not what you've got that matters but what you do with it. And on this score, my  women friends who have sampled the local talent say Thai men make up for any shortfall with exceptional enthusiasm and stamina.

If there are any women subscribers to this Forum with a contribution to make, I'm sure we'd all love to hear from them - however painful it may be to the ego.

38 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

He's right you brag about sponging off your Thai wife in a few threads. Feel proud do ya?

22 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

He's right you brag about sponging off your Thai wife in a few threads. Feel proud do ya?

Just like your wife brags on lady inter and pantip sponging off you. What's the difference?

Anyhoo....gotta run. Wifey is back from work and I forgot to charge her iPad.

Troubles ahead

1 hour ago, mettech said:

Thai girl or lady  want to get out of poverty so they are marrying a walking wallet or ATM that all it is. So foreigner enjoy younger beauty for a while and life goes on.

Really? My wife is university educated, worked for a law firm and her father earns more than me and I earn a pretty penny. She would feel sorry for you having such an ignorant perception, I just think you have no concept of the real reality, where not all marriages are based on a walking wallet. If she wanted a handout, which she doesn't she would have asked her dad not me.

4 hours ago, nycjoe said:

I live in Isaan, my wife is 39 and I am 72. I am helping her raise a 9 year old from a previous thai man who left for a younger woman and never gave a penny for his son. I built a house on 12 rai of land and have 25 rai close to the river.

We have been together for 5 years and we are very happy. My home is a little eden with fruit trees and a beautiful garden.  Her family are hard workers who do not drink or smoke. Whenever we have some harvesting. The whole family comes to help. Everyone in her family are more capable than I as they know how to build from bamboo, do their own plumbing and electric. They had too as they have no money to have anyone else do anything for them. 

Had I been in the USA I would be looking forward to a nursing home. My wife does not spend money on makeup or clothing. Is not interested in jewelry and has a solid moral compass. I consider myself truly blessed. We have a good partnership. That is true for the majority of my Farang friends here too. She is a great cook to boot. 

"do their own plumbing and electric"

i would strongly urge you to get a second opinion - inspection of this system in your house since water and electricity in thailand  live in infamy

1 minute ago, Aussieroaming said:

Really? My wife is university educated, worked for a law firm and her father earns more than me and I earn a pretty penny. She would feel sorry for you having such an ignorant perception, I just think you have no concept of the real reality, where not all marriages are based on a walking wallet. If she wanted a handout, which she doesn't she would have asked her dad not me.

yes not all but it would not be dishonest to believe the majority are based on financial need

37 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

in your other statement you say that your wife pays and you wouldn't have it any other way... but yet you go on to say that you would help her if she lived in Canada in your place?? I am glad to hear that - you seem to put so much stock in the financial aspects... 

But, aren't you capable of seeing the qualities of your wife w/o playing it against the shadows of an internet forum where guys complain about near everything here. 

My wife stayed with me during some tough times and when I came out the other side, glad to share. We help nieces and nephews with schooling, including one going on to medical school. We are raising a 12 year old and giving her a good education too. We have bought farm land and let family members farm it. And it is rewarding to see them doing well. No, they do not sit on their butt and look for handouts. We gave a helping hand and they appreciate it and are doing fine. Sure, I paid some money when my wife's father had a heart attack - and benefitted by a better hospital. Sure, you angry forum guys with the stereotypes will call me and guys like me suckers... 

your life, your choices as applicable to everyone.

4 hours ago, nycjoe said:

I live in Isaan, my wife is 39 and I am 72. I am helping her raise a 9 year old from a previous thai man who left for a younger woman and never gave a penny for his son. I built a house on 12 rai of land and have 25 rai close to the river.

We have been together for 5 years and we are very happy. My home is a little eden with fruit trees and a beautiful garden.  Her family are hard workers who do not drink or smoke. Whenever we have some harvesting. The whole family comes to help. Everyone in her family are more capable than I as they know how to build from bamboo, do their own plumbing and electric. They had too as they have no money to have anyone else do anything for them. 

Had I been in the USA I would be looking forward to a nursing home. My wife does not spend money on makeup or clothing. Is not interested in jewelry and has a solid moral compass. I consider myself truly blessed. We have a good partnership. That is true for the majority of my Farang friends here too. She is a great cook to boot. 

Good for you and thanks for posting some good news. Too often it is just the complainers. All of my friends have really good marriages too. 

5 hours ago, tryasimight said:

As low as sponging off your wife?

How is it sponging off your wife is so bad, but sponging off your husband is acceptable? Let's face it, with most western couples, both work. I suggest that having a wife who makes good money, even more than the man, is a tribute to the man. So many men buy their wives, and family, as stated in the forum. 

6 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Encouraged by the beeb story some girls went to extreme lengths to bag thereselves a farang .. 

_20170920_095634.JPG

If she fires a gun like that the only thing she will win is a hospital bed in 3............2..................1...............:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

If she fires a gun like that the only thing she will win is a hospital bed in 3............2..................1...............:thumbsup:

On the other hand this one does look like she can handle a gun .. 

" Hands up Farang you're mine ....  and bring you're ATM cards " .. 

_20170920_100116.JPG

It's funny that with the headline of the article (marrying a farang may not be a dream come true), it doesn't mention or talk about a single downside.  It only mentions good results, yet keeps saying there are often many cultural problems.  I read the article expecting to hear about some of these 'problems,' but no examples were presented.  Is the article just poorly titled?  Or are there no real problems?

My wife is Thai, and we live in Thailand half of each year.  We are not rich, both of us still work hard, and her work ethic is equal to mine and/or any other that I see in the USA.  I do have many problems with the language when we're in Thailand, and I don't get along with some of her more 'lazy' family members.  But then I get along great with other family members--like her Mom and Brother.  

We help the family just a little bit (less than 5000 THB per month), because I am more inclined to provide them (via one time purchases) with what they need to support themselves (e.g. tools, refrigerator, washing machine, cooking equipment, etc.).  Nobody gives my sons in the USA money each month just because they are my sons, so I'm not inclined to simply give money to family-in-law just because they are family-in-law.  I'm willing to help set up a family business, and if everyone works and pulls their own weight, then it is successful.  But if people are lazy and don't work, then it is not successful, and I certainly don't step in to bail it out.  

My wife's Mom understands this, appreciates it, and works as hard as my wife and I do.  It's clear that my wife got her work ethic from her Mom.  But others in the family don't work, so they get nothing from me.  So yes, there are a few cultural challenges, which is why I wanted to read the article, to see what challenges others face.  But the article says nothing about cultural challenges.  Strange.  

12 hours ago, al007 said:

Yes I live in Issan, have thai wife 9yrs best thing that ever happened to me, we give her parents a small but meaningful amount of support, and they respect our privacy, I also happily provide for two stepsons

Those who throw big money like mentioned above are foolish or stupid, it will simply result in mor more being wanted

I am a very lucky man, and this is wife no four ;best of all the ones I have had by a long way

Good on you, Nice to hear some positive things about Thai women I too am lucky with a Special Thai lady.

And she can use a gun , she use to be a Small Arms instructor for the Thai police.

6 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Haters gonna hate... but me let me school you on relationships a bit. Relationships are about compromise, no?

Yes, good point.  Marriages are a two way street, and both partners can and should share in the support of the family, however they can help. I went to Thailand, and married a lovely Thai woman.  I supported us both for a few years while we lived in Thailand and worked out the Visa thing.  She wanted to come to the US, so we moved back here.  She desperately wanted to find a job here!  She had to learn how to interview, not easy, even for native English speakers.  I hate job interviews. :bah:  After many interviews, she got a good paying job as a Massage Therapist.  I recently lost my job, so she is now supporting us.  We will move back to Thailand eventually, and live off investment income.  We bought a house in Thailand using money we both earned.  She owns about 100 rai in Thailand, and the land is used to grow rubber and eucalyptus trees, which brings in some cash every few years.  We have sent some money back to Thailand, not a lot, but we are happy to help with family issues. Her large extended family is great, and they seem to like me. Are they sincere?  I'd like to think so. :crazy: They help us in many ways.  Sorry for posting something positive on here about Thai people. :sorry:

I look forward to retirement in Thailand!

12 minutes ago, HarryWho said:

Yes, good point.  Marriages are a two way street, and both partners can and should share in the support of the family, however they can help. I went to Thailand, and married a lovely Thai woman.  I supported us both for a few years while we lived in Thailand and worked out the Visa thing.  She wanted to come to the US, so we moved back here.  She desperately wanted to find a job here!  She had to learn how to interview, not easy, even for native English speakers.  I hate job interviews. :bah:  After many interviews, she got a good paying job as a Massage Therapist.  I recently lost my job, so she is now supporting us.  We will move back to Thailand eventually, and live off investment income.  We bought a house in Thailand using money we both earned.  She owns about 100 rai in Thailand, and the land is used to grow rubber and eucalyptus trees, which brings in some cash every few years.  We have sent some money back to Thailand, not a lot, but we are happy to help with family issues. Her large extended family is great, and they seem to like me. Are they sincere?  I'd like to think so. :crazy: They help us in many ways.  Sorry for posting something positive on here about Thai people. :sorry:

I look forward to retirement in Thailand!

Good luck they look forward to seeing you to

Archived