BANGKOK 18 July 2019 16:49

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wanderluster

alcoholics - anyone else having problems trying to get semi sober

6 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

It has also been attributed to suicidal tendencies in some people, they get a strong feeling of remorse while taking it.  I wouldn't take it once on anyone's orders, doctors or otherwise.

it is just for short term use. long term use is abuse and dangerous.  let me correct myself, the most famous drug to smooth detox is not xanax, but librium.

IMO, alcoholism is a combination of genes/addictive behavior. Once I recognized that it was an illness I was able to do something about it. 

This assisted me within AA as I was able to relate to others with similar traits.

Gambling in particular is an activity I must avoid @ all cost - moderation in all things is far better. Excessive intake of spicy food is another.

In addition, I have been an all or nothing person especially in relationships.

9 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

It has also been attributed to suicidal tendencies in some people, they get a strong feeling of remorse while taking it.  I wouldn't take it once on anyone's orders, doctors or otherwise.

What's so wrong with Xanax? Taking one just makes me feel relaxed, not drowsy or high. I would think there is worse things than a regular (!) dose of Xanax. The dangers and consequences of a relapse far outweigh the potential risks of Xanax. 

Since you brought up suicidal tendencies... what to you think is worse for messing up your brain in the long term, leading to depression and making you jump off a Pattaya balcony? Xanax or alcohol?

10 hours ago, wump said:

What's so wrong with Xanax? Taking one just makes me feel relaxed, not drowsy or high. I would think there is worse things than a regular (!) dose of Xanax. The dangers and consequences of a relapse far outweigh the potential risks of Xanax. 

Since you brought up suicidal tendencies... what to you think is worse for messing up your brain in the long term, leading to depression and making you jump off a Pattaya balcony? Xanax or alcohol?

i have done the zanax thing, at first i found it helpful and only took minimul amount, and not everyday, being caucious as to not getting addicted. but after awhile, maybe a few months, i was getting hangovers from them, feeling tired and drowsy the next day.  i never get alcohol hangovers.but i do feel a little dehydrated in the ams. first thing i do is drink at least a litre of water.

10 hours ago, wump said:

I am not qualified to make that determination, I am not a doctor - but having been on suicide watch twice in Iraq when a member of our team was taking Xanax to help him sleep...........I know just enough about it to stay away from it.  Alcohol and suicides, no doubt about it, big contributor as it lowers ones inhibitions.    

Oh, for the first part of your post, methinks you are just trading one drug for another, but opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one.

:post-4641-1156694572:

37 minutes ago, wump said:

Just stumbled upon this video... any thoughts? Actually does apply to myself 100%

Casper meets the Invisible Man?

All I see is a white screen.....

Try clicking the link in bold. Embedding doesn't seem to work even when switching off all adblockers.

Someone hit the mark earlier on in this thread about AA meetings being for Alcoholics but a quantity of non Alcoholics are going. Another poster followed up with a statement thats why i dont bother going a lot.

Exactly the same is happening with this thread with debates about drugs uused and gambling adictions even suicides.

This is about a guy who is an Alcoholic he doesnt need to know from laymen or other genuine Alcoholics about certain drugs he should only get that advise from Doctors.

To talk about suicide is so counter productive its cringe worthy in the extreme.

Those of you who are like me Alcoholics recovering or still there will know the only advise in the end you take is your mind or body yelling you enough is enough. But genuine advise about seeking help does go in and gives you something to think about.

Certain treatments can and do help but only after you yourself admit to yourself you are an Alcoholic. Thats the hardest part as genrally you see no problem in what you are doing.

7 minutes ago, superglue said:

Within AA there are open & closed meetings.

Closed meetings are restricted to members only.

Then thats new in my case it was members only always. There were meetings for families but no members were present.

It helped me no end. What others at the meetings passed on was a real tonic just knowing your not the only one is so well i cant put it into words really.

54 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

This is about a guy who is an Alcoholic he doesnt need to know from laymen or other genuine Alcoholics about certain drugs he should only get that advise from Doctors.

To talk about suicide is so counter productive its cringe worthy in the extreme.

Those of you who are like me Alcoholics recovering or still there will know the only advise in the end you take is your mind or body yelling you enough is enough. But genuine advise about seeking help does go in and gives you something to think about.

Certain treatments can and do help but only after you yourself admit to yourself you are an Alcoholic. Thats the hardest part as genrally you see no problem in what you are doing.

The important thing to know about withdrawal from long and excessive use of alcohol is it can be dangerous, just like withdrawal from Benzo's the addict can have dangerous seizures particularly if prone to them and even die if not managed properly. Drug therapy during withdrawal works, I can attest to that. I know the therapy is frowned on in many Countries Canada being one, and I think US as well. However I stopped drinking alcohol in the UK, where there are nurses trained in prescribing Librium therapy for home withdrawal and it is very, very closely monitored, daily in fact. The dosage is high to start with and gradually titrating over a 7 or 10 day period. For me, I felt no withdrawal symptoms and the only problem was I had trouble walking after the therapy for about two weeks. Funny actually.

Of course  the real work starts afterwards and joining AA or some similar organization is in my opinion absolutely essential, perhaps do that now! The now sober addict has a new life, and has to learn how to "Walk" in his beautiful new shiny world. When I think back, the veil of horrors was finally lifted... And the world is beautiful, it's there to be appreciated.

38 minutes ago, PeCeDe said:

Of course  the real work starts afterwards and joining AA or some similar organization is in my opinion absolutely essential, perhaps do that now! The now sober addict has a new life, and has to learn how to "Walk" in his beautiful new shiny world. When I think back, the veil of horrors was finally lifted... And the world is beautiful, it's there to be appreciated.

Don't think I was specific enough about the "Medically" supervised part of the program I was in, if the OP tries the drug assisted withdrawal method it absolutely has to be done with a physicians help, no exceptions (that's what doctors are there for, to help you, they won't judge). The OP refers to "Semi-Sober" and that is a non-existent state, it's a dream which doesn't exist coming from an alcoholic mind, you're either drunk or sober, take your pick. To me the best reward for sobriety was finding the people who had loved me throughout my and their trials but withdrawn because they couldn't help, and were resigned to watching me die.